News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Street Fighter II - CPC Edition

Started by AugustoRuiz, 13:24, 24 September 13

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustoRuiz

Well, it's been announced at Spanish forum Amstrad.es, so now I introduce you our game in development: Street Fighter II - CPC Edition. It is being developed by DaDMaN, McKlain and me. As of now, we're targetting CPC 6128 (128Kb RAM).
You can have a look at this video:

SFII CPC - Work in progress - 20130613
Please, take into account that those graphics are mainly placeholders!! What's already implemented:

• Custom disk access
  • Animation system, with varying sizes and sprite reposition per frame
  • Pixel perfect collision detection
  • Input handling for both players
  • Compression (using Exomizer)
  • Video split (score at #8000, play area at #C000) See the bump when jumping, will not be there, but when falling after hit.
  • Memory banking (player data is stored in upper 64Kb, 32Kb/character)
  • Music routines - using WYZPlayer
We will publish the source code when it's finished ;)
What's next?

• Special move detection and execution - outlined, not yet implemented
  • Take damage when hit
  • Update score, time, etc.
  • Implement win condition for fights
  • AI (huge!!!) - already designed, but not implemented.
  • All menus
So, as you can see, we still have a LOT of work to do!

robcfg

Superb!!

Movement looks quite fluid, and the graphics are nice too!

Do you guys have an estimation on when will it be finished?

I'm not in a hurry, but would be nice to know when we can enjoy the final version.

Congratulations, and keep up the good work!

AugustoRuiz

Well, it'll be released "when it's done". (just like id or Blizzard!!  ;D )

It's been years in the making, mainly because I suck at assembler, and I am pretty busy. But I keep learning... ;)

No, we don't have an schedule. When I've time to devote to it, I do it. And that's why I've asked DaD not to do any more graphics until the engine is ready...
Oh, by the way, I'm using this technique: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?topic=8375.msg66694#msg66694

sigh

Good lord!!!!

That is looking SWEET!

Is this able to take advantage of a 2 button controller?

dragon

TFM

Looks very well done. The idea of the shaking of status bar and game is nice!

Keep the good work going  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AugustoRuiz

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll look into the two button-joystick support, because we will use two buttons (punch+kick). Having more attack buttons would make the game unplayable (too many ghost readings in two-player mode!)

Trebmint

TFM

You could use the spare button (Fire 3) of Space for people why have no 3-fire joystick. Spare should not lead to Ghost readings, but I guess two fire buttons is ok.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

What an impressive undertaking! All strength to you and your team on this project! And thanks for keeping things alive on the CPC!

TotO

Quote from: TFM on 19:59, 24 September 13The idea of the shaking of status are and game are is nice!
Will be better if only done when you Win (K.O.) an the loser fall on the floor.
(every time is too much and goes less magic... but sure, it's Work In Progress ;))
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Nich

Here's another "work in progress" video:

Street Fighter II CPC - The Real Edition
I hope you guys succeed in producing a version of Street Fighter II that is worthy of gracing the CPC! :)

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: TotO on 21:50, 24 September 13
Will be better if only done when you Win (K.O.) an the loser fall on the floor.
(every time is too much and goes less magic... but sure, it's Work In Progress ;) )
Yes, it was put when you jump because the K.O. is not implemented yet(hits do no damage as of now). But the effect is there ;)
Oh, and that second video is a bit older, the collision detection is less accurate...

ervin

Wow! That looks fantastic!
(Is there a way to "Like" this twice???)  8)

arnoldemu

This is already impressive.

My only concern with announcing it early is that you will get many many people asking you when it will be done. Perhaps you will get this asked once a week at least.

I am really interested to see it with AI in there, because in the end the AI/gameplay is very important for this game.

The graphics are amazing yes, and the movement and smoothness of the game are great, but now it needs really good AI.

I really hope there is both a 2 player and 1 player game in there.

I think it will be hard to implement the AI and the 1 player game - I say hard, but I am sure you are up to the job of doing it!

EDIT: For a game like this I would have worked on the AI first with my own programmer graphics, then worked on the "nice" stuff.

I sound negative, yes, but I know how hard it is to keep the working going on a project and how hard it is to make a game play right.

EDIT2: On Blue Angel for example, I had to re-code the AI more than once - 1 to make it fast enough, 2 to make it fun enough to play and it is more simple in it's AI.

EDIT3: I have gone back to one of my unfinished games recently, and I am working on finishing the menus and presentation, but also I am working out how to make it more fun to play.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Misel982001

This is trully remarkable! I particularly liked the speed and animation!It is a great piece of work. I hope all goes well!

McKlain

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:56, 25 September 13EDIT3: I have gone back to one of my unfinished games recently, and I am working on finishing the menus and presentation, but also I am working out how to make it more fun to play.

Is that... THE GAME?  ;D

sigh

What are the screen dimensions? Are you incorporating both music and sound effects?

Regarding the backgrounds - are all going to be present? If so, will the background picture only use the character associated with it, or can you mix and match different characters on any background?

jrodriguezv

Wow! it's amazing!! Keep on good work Augusto.

Un saludito :)

romppainen

Looks damn promising to me, if most of the graphics are placeholders I just wonder how awesome the final presentation will be!

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: sigh on 13:45, 25 September 13
What are the screen dimensions? Are you incorporating both music and sound effects?
The screen dimensions will vary depending on the monitor used. We are using all of the screen witdh (full background size is 224x144 pixels). And yes, we will incorporate music and sound effects, but sound effects will not be digital (not enough memory, and probably not enough CPU power, sorry!)
Quote from: sigh on 13:45, 25 September 13
Regarding the backgrounds - are all going to be present? If so, will the background picture only use the character associated with it, or can you mix and match different characters on any background?
We will have all backgrounds, but we are going to respect the gameplay, so we will use the backgrounds the same way arcade version does.

fano

Nice gfx and animation.How do you project to manage multiples attacks with 1 (or 2) buttons and special moves ?
Same thing , do you plan to manage hit chaining like the original SF2 ?
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

sigh

I really like your approach of the non scrolling backgrounds. The MSX 2 version (brilliant version but unfinished) did the same:

MSX Street Figther 2

What struck me most was the speed of the game.

How far in are you in regards to the characters and sprites? How are you tackling dhalsim?

GOB

I hope there will be a cpc+ version !!! ;)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft