News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Double Dragon mystery

Started by Xyphoe, 09:16, 03 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Puresox

Just checked out Double Dragon 3 Rosetta Stone , just to refresh my memory in case I was being unfair in judgement , but no this game is utter shit , the claim from Amstrad Action that it was worth an AA Rave is just downright bullshit. Deceptive bastards. Must read the review now

remax

The same for the french press : a 84% in Amstrad 100% when it was a quite hard mark to obtain  :doh:
Brain Radioactivity

TFM

Quote from: Puresox on 15:57, 05 November 15
... but no this game is utter shit ...

Quite hard words from you and not the first time. Well, maybe you can show us how to perform better.  ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

VincentGR

I have the Melbourne 128K too!

Puresox

Quote from: TFM on 20:44, 06 November 15

Quite hard words from you and not the first time. Well, maybe you can show us how to perform better.  ;) :)
Show us how to perform better? What does that mean? If I was a programmer then yes I would produce something that was better than that. And as for having an opinion on what a game is like then I will not refrain from giving an opinion on it , As you will find majority of people in the world have an opinion on things.
In my trade people have an opinion on the work that I produce,I have to accept that people are paying there money for it and they can rate it however they want . What right do I have to restrict there opinion or insist they lie in order to keep people from being upset about it ?

AMSDOS

It's fine to have an opinion, but there's a polite way of expressing a dislike over a rude way of disliking something.

I might of helped some guy out yesterday if he was polite, instead I got some bad tempered man talking in profanity, so decided not to help. Begin polite goes a long way, unfortunately if people think they can still get what they want, by being rude about it, you soon find people adopt it.  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Puresox

Quote from: AMSDOS on 03:41, 07 November 15
It's fine to have an opinion, but there's a polite way of expressing a dislike over a rude way of disliking something.

I might of helped some guy out yesterday if he was polite, instead I got some bad tempered man talking in profanity, so decided not to help. Begin polite goes a long way, unfortunately if people think they can still get what they want, by being rude about it, you soon find people adopt it.  :(
I'm not asking for anything ,and I have no problems with the karma in my everyday life. Thanks for your insights though

Nich

Quote from: Xyphoe on 22:11, 04 November 15
So now all we need to establish whether the disk box with JUST the Melbourne House logo is the 64k or 128k version.

ie this one -

http://cpc-power.com/extra_lire_fichier.php?extra=package&fiche=1150&slot=1&part=A&type=.jpg
There's a copy for sale on eBay for £17.99 + postage if you really want to find out - although I'm not going to buy it at that price.

sigh

Quote from: Nich on 22:40, 07 November 15
There's a copy for sale on eBay for £17.99 + postage if you really want to find out - although I'm not going to buy it at that price.

Is that a legit disk? It looks like a copy with a label stuck on top. Doesn't show a manual either.....

Dizrythmia

Quote from: sigh on 01:32, 08 November 15
Is that a legit disk? It looks like a copy with a label stuck on top. Doesn't show a manual either.....
Both of my copies of the Aplin release were Amsoft discs with a printed sticker label over the top, so I assume this is a common thing. This one looks exactly like the 2 copies of the game I've owned over the years.

The disk of this bid is legit. Not a copy or fake.
My physical copy disk is like that.

remax

Quote from: sigh on 01:32, 08 November 15
Is that a legit disk? It looks like a copy with a label stuck on top.

Lot of retail games are like that...
Brain Radioactivity

TFM

Quote from: AMSDOS on 03:41, 07 November 15

So true. Everything runs better with a smile.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

I've no problem with people having Manners, totally all for that. But I am not going to censor opinion for the sake of pleasantry, The use of profanity was in reaction to the review which was a downright lie imo, how a game of that quality can be rated by AA (In the way that it was )is far more offensive and disingenuous.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Puresox on 22:35, 08 November 15
I've no problem with people having Manners, totally all for that. But I am not going to censor opinion for the sake of pleasantry, The use of profanity was in reaction to the review which was a downright lie imo, how a game of that quality can be rated by AA (In the way that it was )is far more offensive and disingenuous.

What's worse in AA77 WWF Wrestlemania was awarded Mastergame 90%. I haven't played that game myself, though others have expressed how Bad it was. It seems to have mixed opinions cause Javier Sáez reviewed it on Nich's site and gave it 8 out of 10.

Your Computer Programs

Puresox

Quote from: AMSDOS on 22:57, 08 November 15

What's worse in AA77 WWF Wrestlemania was awarded Mastergame 90%. I haven't played that game myself, though others have expressed how Bad it was. It seems to have mixed opinions cause Javier Sáez reviewed it on Nich's site and gave it 8 out of 10.
I feel with WWF game it is not my type of game personally , but it has enough about it, to warrant that sort of award  from  one persons pov.
I would say it deserves an AA Rave at best. But I can understand it getting higher or even lower .
Definitely don't find it as contentious an issue as DD 3. It is a playable game that any 8-bit gamer could respect. If you were to show a C64 owner DD3 along with its review they would find it humorous to say the least!

DD3 , is beyond acceptable in its sluggishness , for anyone to consider that saleable is unbelievable! Can you honestly tell me that 81% is justifiable for that game?

AMSDOS

Quote from: Puresox on 23:26, 08 November 15
DD3 , is beyond acceptable in its sluggishness , for anyone to consider that saleable is unbelievable! Can you honestly tell me that 81% is justifiable for that game?

Honestly I don't know cause I haven't played it, but that is what AA scored it as when it originally came out. Though there were certainly plenty of cases where a game was rereleased on a budget label and AA generally reviewed it again and in some cases they had some games with a very low score.

Your Computer Programs

seanb

Am I the only person that like WWF Wrestlemania?

Definitely better made than a lot of games.  Nice smooth animation and responsive controls
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

dlfrsilver

Quote from: Xyphoe on 21:42, 03 November 15
Heh, I don't mean to upset anyone by saying the David Leitch / 64k version is crappy, because well it is :P In all seriousness - compared to Renegade / Target Renegade / etc it is a crappy beat-em-up, doesn't mean you can't get enjoyment from it. eg for me I enjoy playing ESWAT despite it being one of the lowest reviewed games in Amstrad history! Yea you can speed it up, but so you can with Outrun and it becomes a better conversion, but I don't like doing that - I play games as they were meant to be.

But yea the Richard Aplin 128k version graphics were ripped from the arcade machine to the Atari ST, which was then ripped to the Amstrad version. I suppose it's kind of like a photocopy of a photocopy. Given there were two versions and this was going to be a very low selling disk version I bet there was very little time given to Aplin to do this version. The same process was done on Double Dragon II but the graphics have obviously been re-edited and touched up and are definitely much better. But in this case with Double Dragon, the playability is most important I feel rather than the graphics - it plays a really good beat-em-up and is well matched as an 8-bit version to the coinop it's coming over from. Real Double Dragon die-hards (thinking of a couple of close personal friends here) rate it very highly.

Lastly yes the Aplin version is missing the ending with the girlfriend hugging you. :(

The CPC 128k is straight ported from the Amiga version. The ST version was back ported from the Amiga version.

AMSDOS

Quote from: seanb on 14:30, 09 November 15
Am I the only person that like WWF Wrestlemania?

Definitely better made than a lot of games.  Nice smooth animation and responsive controls

Well I do have tendencies to have weird Dreams about that kind of stuff, and since nobody has stepped up to the plate to support that, then perhaps it was only in my Dreams. Personally I don't have any connection with the game, so to have dreamt it sounds pretty odd though.

Your Computer Programs

Shaun M. Neary

What the hell has happened to this forum? Think we need a few chill pills handed out!  :doh:

I still genuinely don't believe Double Dragon ever saw a standalone full priced release on tape. I remember looking everywhere for it for nearly two years in 88 and 89, furious because C64 versions of it did exist.

Regarding WWF Wrestlemania. Being a big fan (still am of the older stuff to this day), I was bitterly disappointed with it. This would have been acceptable in 88, but in 91, this was inexcusable. The colour choices were an eyesore, a severe limitation of moves, and don't get me started on it's status of joystick destroyer.

On tape, it was even more painful because if you wanted to change your character, you needed to reload the game from scratch.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

steve

Quote from: dlfrsilver on 16:26, 09 November 15
The CPC 128k is straight ported from the Amiga version. The ST version was back ported from the Amiga version.

What is the difference between "straight ported" and "back ported"?

ssr86

Quote from: steve on 15:52, 19 December 15
What is the difference between "straight ported" and "back ported"?
I understand it so that a straight port is a port from the original machine and a back port is a "port of a port" :-[

dodogildo

Quote from: remax on 20:18, 06 November 15
The same for the french press : a 84% in Amstrad 100% when it was a quite hard mark to obtain  :doh:
I remember the French Press always being very generous with Amstrad review scores :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

dlfrsilver

QuoteQuite hard words from you and not the first time. Well, maybe you can show us how to perform better.  ;) :) 

About Double Dragon III, he is unfortunately right. DDIII is another we grant CPC users for "Speccy-diots".You want to know why this game is so slow ? Answer : it's in a fact a spectrum emulator running the Spectrum version, doing realtime 1bpp to 2bpp conversion ! It can't work :(