News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Double Dragon mystery

Started by Xyphoe, 09:16, 03 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

Sorry to necro a topic :P

But both versions appeared on eBay with clear photos...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Dragon-Amstrad-CPC-464-664-6128-Disk-tested/391829581324?hash=item5b3adcee0c:g:BEQAAOSwCkZZV1ew

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Dragon-For-Amstrad-CPC-6128-Disk-Disc-Game-By-Virgin/323118296861?hash=item4b3b59ef1d:g:WXoAAOSwE8dahC2M

Earlier someone confirmed that the 'Virgin/Melbourne House logo' version, is the Aplin version. We didn't have confirmation of what the 'Melbourne House logo' version has on the disk.

I think all we need clarification on is if the 1st one there (with just the Melbourne House logo, no Virgin on it) is the Aplin or the 64k version. The disk pics are interesting, the first one is a properly printed disk, where as the 2nd auction (Virgin/Melbourne House) looks like an off the shelf disk with a crappy printed label glued over the top.

sigh

@Xyphoe - I think your best bet is too find the 6128 version on one of the compilations that was released on disk.
Unfortnately, I can't remember the name of it (I have it - somewhere!)*

*It's called "Edition One".

I need to be more active on the forum. Life has just been getting in the way.

Quote from: sigh on 19:42, 10 April 18
@Xyphoe - I think your best bet is too find the 6128 version on one of the compilations that was released on disk.
Unfortnately, I can't remember the name of it (I have it - somewhere.

Edition One.

Quote from: Xyphoe on 08:28, 09 April 18
Sorry to necro a topic :P

But both versions appeared on eBay with clear photos...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Dragon-Amstrad-CPC-464-664-6128-Disk-tested/391829581324?hash=item5b3adcee0c:g:BEQAAOSwCkZZV1ew

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Dragon-For-Amstrad-CPC-6128-Disk-Disc-Game-By-Virgin/323118296861?hash=item4b3b59ef1d:g:WXoAAOSwE8dahC2M

Earlier someone confirmed that the 'Virgin/Melbourne House logo' version, is the Aplin version. We didn't have confirmation of what the 'Melbourne House logo' version has on the disk.

I think all we need clarification on is if the 1st one there (with just the Melbourne House logo, no Virgin on it) is the Aplin or the 64k version. The disk pics are interesting, the first one is a properly printed disk, where as the 2nd auction (Virgin/Melbourne House) looks like an off the shelf disk with a crappy printed label glued over the top.

I bet the first (Melbourne House logo) is the 64k version of the game. Double Dragon by Animagic/Melbourne House.
I have the second (Virgin/Melbourne House logo) and it's the 128k version. Richard Aplin version. Yes, the label of the disc is crappy.

kawickboy

there something not mentioned in the topic: the UK release was in a plastic box but the french release (amstrad/st/amiga...) was a cardboard box. i'm not sure the sticker is the only thing to consider.

On the french compilation "Les maîtres ninja" (last ninja 2 + double dragon) and "double action" (double dragon + real ghostbusters + wec le mans + daley thompson olympic challenge) there was on the floppy-release front a sticker in french "double dragon can only be played on a cpc 6128" which was a stupid way to explain it was a 128ko game only, the Aplin one. To my opinion all french floppy releases were the Aplin one. In Spain where the 464 was the master it would have been different.

In Spain Double Dragon release was the 64k version (in disk and cassette) in cardboard box. Distributed by Dro Soft.
The 128k/Aplin version (in disk) only was released in the Ninja Collection compilation in cardboard box. Distributed by Erbe Software.

Shaun M. Neary

That Dro Soft release ended up on the Mastertonic Plus budget label, as well as on various tape only compilations such as The Biz and 100% Dynamite. I'm not even sure the Aplin version was finished by the time those compilations were released, as Aplin was interviewed by AA after finishing Shinobi, which was late 89. In the interview he stated he was finishing DD1 and was starting on DD2.

No way the Aplin version was gonna make it straight to compilation after it was just finished development.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 19:42, 10 April 18
Unfortnately, I can't remember the name of it (I have it - somewhere!)*

*It's called "Edition One".

I need to be more active on the forum. Life has just been getting in the way.

Thanks dude! I'm not actually after the game itself, I just want to know to clarify which release was the Aplin version and how we can tell it is. :)