News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Trap Door... Bugged?

Started by Novabug, 01:14, 23 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Novabug

The challenge, if you choose to accept. I'm not sure, but I think The Trap Door, (Piranha) is bugged to the point you cannot finish it.

I have tried 4 different ROM's, and the same thing keep happening. One task cannot be done.

The boiled Slimies task is the problem. Once you have got the 4 slimies, put them in the cauldron, moved it to the dump waiter you are suppose to release the green unicycle fire guy from the trap door, stand just by the cauldron and wait for him to shoot a flame at you. You move out of the way, and the cauldron cooks the slimies. You send them up, then crush the green guy with the weight. job done. However, I cannot get him to heat the cauldron. I have stood in multiple places, put the cauldron in various places and distances from the flame guy, but nothing happens. Longplays of the Speccy version show this task is done easily, but it seemed to not work on the CPC. Does anyone know of this problem? Or is there a work around? Or does anyone fancy checking this out seeing if I ain't going mad.

Cheers

Nich

Quote from: Novabug on 01:14, 23 October 18
The challenge, if you choose to accept. I'm not sure, but I think The Trap Door, (Piranha) is bugged to the point you cannot finish it.

Does anyone know of this problem? Or is there a work around? Or does anyone fancy checking this out seeing if I ain't going mad.

I found this problem a few months ago and I tried to debug it, but I didn't get very far. The code is a nightmare to untangle!

However, I looked at it again today and re-read all the notes I'd taken from my previous failed attempt, and the good news is that I've found the bug, so here is the patch. :)

If you're using WinAPE, open the debugger, go to address 2975, and enter the following bytes:

ED 4B 9B 75 20 46

(Go here if you need help on entering pokes in WinAPE.)

What this does is it swaps two Z80 instructions around. The bug occurs because the instructions are in the wrong order.

Now I will have to prepare a version that everyone can download. :) Unfortunately I can't patch a DSK file directly because the game data is encrypted, so you may have to wait a few days for it.

To think that it's taken only 32 years to fix this game and no one has ever raised this issue until now... :laugh:

Nich

OK, here is a new crack of The Trap Door with the offending bug fixed and an infinite time cheat added (although the cheat is not really necessary, though :)).

Here's a spoiler relating to the ending:

Spoiler: ShowHide
To see the 'good' ending, be careful not to crush the safe too much.

[attach=1]

Novabug

Quote from: Nich on 18:02, 23 October 18
OK, here is a new crack of The Trap Door with the offending bug fixed and an infinite time cheat added (although the cheat is not really necessary, though :) ).

Here's a spoiler relating to the ending:

Spoiler: ShowHide
To see the 'good' ending, be careful not to crush the safe too much.

Nich you are a legend! Make sure this is submitted to CPC Power. You complied that so quick as well.

Yeah, funny how no-one picked up on this, just goes to show I guess nobody got that far in the game ever. I will be doing a vid on this tonight, will give you massive props in the commentary

Nich

Quote from: Novabug on 19:41, 23 October 18
Nich you are a legend! Make sure this is submitted to CPC Power. You complied that so quick as well.

Don't worry, CPC-POWER and CPCRulez will definitely get a copy of it. The reason why I produced a new crack so quickly is because I've had the day off today. ;)

QuoteI will be doing a vid on this tonight, will give you massive props in the commentary

I hope so! :D

Novabug

Quote from: Nich on 19:45, 23 October 18
Don't worry, CPC-POWER and CPCRulez will definitely get a copy of it. The reason why I produced a new crack so quickly is because I've had the day off today. ;)

One day, I'll have to get back into coding. My knowledge is shamefully BASIC.... geddit? ;)

Novabug

Righto everybody, I have created a longplay of The Trap Door, first time on the net I believe, thanks to Nich de-bugging the game. Tune into my channel tomorrow at 8pm GMT as I will be showcasing it on Youtube Premier. Live chat with me as the completion of Berk and co happens.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Novabug