News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Top 5 Amstrad Platform games of all time

Started by Manos, 02:41, 11 September 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Manos

Which are the top 5 Platform games that you played in Amstrad?

My top 5:
1)Ghosts 'n' Goblins
2)Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja
3)Sorcery
4)Batman
5)Saboteur

felow

1 Rainbow Island
2 Rick Dangerous

2 Ghosts 'n 'Goblins
4 Gryzor (if considered a platform)
5 Rick Dangerous 2

felow

Sorry, a mistake: the second position is only for Rick Dangerous :D

GOB

1-Super Cauldron
2-Rick Dangerous 128+
3-Saboteur 2
4-Turrican
5-Batman The movie

||C|-|E||

Being strict about the concept of platform game (if that is possible in our CPCs  :laugh: ) I would go for:

- Turrican I
- Turrican II
- Twinworld
- Abu Simbel
- Pop-up/Bumpy

But again, are the Turricans proper platform games? and Pop-up/Bumpy?  :)

villain

I spent hours, days, weeks with Bomb Jack. Not a bad game at all...

Cholo

1) Prince of Persia
2) Rick Dangerous 2
3) Turrican
4) The Goonies
5) Satan

So hard to choose so as honourable mentions: Stormlord, Super Cauldron, Switchblade, Addams Family & a bunch others that i probably forgot.

Shaun M. Neary

Some very questionable entries here in my honest opinion, The Goonies?! Turrican? (Turrican 1 and 2 are great games, but they're more side scrolling shoot em up of the Forgotten Worlds category really).

Mine
1. Rick Dangerous 2
2. Prehistorik II
3. Wonder Boy (surprised? It lasts for hours though and the difficulty increases at a gradual pace)
4. Saboteur II
5. Robocop
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

1. Manic Miner
2. New Zealand Story
3. Prehistorik II
4. Monty Python's Flying Circus
5. Switchblade (hey, it's as much a platformer as Robocop is)

Dabz

1. Dizzy - The ultimate cartoon adventure      <---- What a title! :D
2. Treasure Island Dizzy
3. Fantasy Land Dizzy
4. Magicland Dizzy
5. Spellbound Dizzy

Yeah, I was a big Dizzy fan back in the day, I loved them, always wanted to do my own little remake, but never found the time (And I do know there is fan made software to create Dizzy games, but its not the same as coding your own)!

Dabz

CraigsBar

1. Prehistorik 2
2. Switchblade (if it's allowed)
3. Robocop 2
4. Manic miner
5. Super Cauldron
Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ukmarkh

This is a difficult one:

1. Potsworth and Co
2. Rainbow Islands
3. Rick Dangerous
4. Batman the Movie
5. Prince of Persia

I would just like to add that the Adams Family, Donkey Kong and Hudson Hawk were great platformers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:37, 12 September 17
Some very questionable entries here in my honest opinion, The Goonies?! ....

Well, it guess it depends on how you define "platform game". Also dont get fooled by the fairly average movie its based on. The Goonies is like the clever child of Impossible Mission & Zorro. So instead of mediocre platforms with generic robots you get clever put togeher single puzzle screen formed by platforms, ladders and a good selection levers, pulleys, gears etc. to make up the puzzle. The clever part of the game is that you control 2 chars on the same screen that you have to keep switching between and at later screens will test your "multitasking" skills. Good controls & forgiving enough that you dont get dragged down by the usual "pixel perfect" misunderstanding of what the audience wants. Difficulty is also just right, starting of easy but will test you later in multiple clever ways from coordination to can you handle randomness. Majority of people can probably finish it in a couple of days. One of the few good movie license games that shouldnt be underestimated & worth a playthru.

Shaun M. Neary

I enjoyed the movie as a child of the 80s, to be fair.

I just wasn't bowled over by the game. I think it had great potential, but I though the characters movements were just so fiddly that it took a lot away of what it could have been. I'm not disputing it being worth a playthough at all, it is. But in a top five of Amstrad platformers? I'm not even sure I'd place it in a top ten, nevermind five.

Strictly my opinion though.  :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Mikes

Top 5 Amstrad of all time means that could be homebrew.. I see no one?? Nowadays there are lots of good games! Past was better? [emoji14]

ivarf

I was expecting games like Roland in Time, Blagger and manic Miner in this thread...

Question is, what is a platform game?

menegator

1. Willy Wino's Stag Night
2. Monty On The Run
3. Blagger
4. Rainbow Islands
5. Manic Miner

ThomH

1) Chuckie Egg
2) Prince of Persia
3) Head Over Heels (does isometric count?)
4) Fantasy World Dizzy
5) Exolon

Ghosts 'n' Goblins would probably be on the list, if I weren't so terrible at it, and Rainbow Islands very nearly made it.

AMSDOS

Hi-Tec made "Scooby & Scrappy Doo" as part of their Hanna-Barbera series of games which I thought was very nice. I think Hi-Tec also might of started writing Turbo The Tortoise, though Codemasters completed it, I think the story was that Hi-Tec went broke, which was a shame, fortunately Turbo The Tortoise was released which I think is also a very nice game.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

sigh

Donkey Kong
The Lost Treasure Of Cuauhtemoc
Prince Of Persia
Rainbow Islands
Rick Dangerous

mr_lou

This thread has made me realise that I didn't play a whole lot of platform games....

I only just have enough to list a top five:

1) Frost Byte
2) Bruce Lee
3) Jet Set Willy
4) Monty on the run
5) Chuckie Egg

Fedeo

The Lost Treasure of Cuauhtemoc
Rainbow Islands
The New Zealand Story
Livingstone I Presume?
Bomb Jack

invent

Jet Set Willy
Mutant Monty
Heartland
The Covenant
Movie

Ok some might not be classed as platform but these are fav/treasured games on the Amstrad.

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

Puresox

Turrican
Jet Set Willy
Chuckie Egg
Wino Willy
Metal Army

I'm sure there are probably tons I have forgotten but these spring to mind .

mr_lou

Am I the only one who played Frost Byte?