News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Turn Quest [New Game from Morri]

Started by Morri, 07:09, 24 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Morri

Hi Guys,
Been playing around with Basic (hopefully including 1.0) and Easi-Sprite Driver (again!) and knocked up this clone which I've called TurnQuest.

It is a very simple Rogue-like turn based game where you navigate the dungeons, defeat the monsters and rescue the princess.

The maps and enemy skills are preset but their placements and the skill tree is randomized meaning no two games should be the same.
I have been play testing this for weeks and only passed the game once but it seems to work OK start to finish.

Help file at the beginning to give you an idea of what to do but TBH it's pretty easy to pick up and the learning curve is not too steep.
You'll definitely find success is dependent on a kind skill tree and your movement skills around the map.

HAVE FUN AS ALWAYS!

Cheers,
Morri  :)
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

mr_lou

You're extremely active!

Will have to check this one out as soon as I find the time.  :)

AMSDOS

Sadly I've become very rusty playing these dungeon style games  :'( though it plays well enough with nice graphics & music. I got to the 3rd stage, though no idea how to knock out all the nasties without taking some hits in the process.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Morri

Quote from: mr_lou on 08:24, 24 October 17
You're extremely active!

Will have to check this one out as soon as I find the time.  :)
I knock them out when I can.  ;) TBH programming in BASIC does make it easier IMO to get games up and running pretty quick. Love repping BASIC.  :P
It's really the idea and the graphics that take me longer than the actual programming, hence why I tend to just do clones and copy / rip graphics. Not very original but I enjoy it and it's still new to the CPC.  :D

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:50, 24 October 17
Sadly I've become very rusty playing these dungeon style games  :'( though it plays well enough with nice graphics & music. I got to the 3rd stage, though no idea how to knock out all the nasties without taking some hits in the process.
It really is a strategy game at heart. The more you play the more you learn the patterns and the further you progress. Just remember, time is not the issue. The enemies will wait for as long as it takes.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

remax

Nice game !

I was expecting a more basic game. I'm impressed.
Brain Radioactivity

Targhan

Hey, I've been to level 6 after about 5 games. Quite hard, but very nice, especially for a Basic game. The gfxs are rather good too.

I found two bugs:
- After pressing space to start a game, the music didn't stop, and during the game, only one channel could be heard.
- After I died on level 6, I had "improper argument in 4260". You should do ASM, at least the game crashes when a bug occurs :).

Well done!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Hey, second session, went till level 9! I just understood that sometimes it is best to leave the level than kill all the creatures... There is actually an interesting strategy in this game. Too bad you can't skip a turn to have the first hit, but I guess it would have been too easy.

Found two little bugs:
- "shield" typo in the help page.
- After pressing space to see the statistics of a monster, I pressed a cursor key to move. It worked, but the white square around the monster didn't disappear.

I'll have another go tomorrow :). Well done!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

HAL6128

A very interesting and addictive game. Nice idea and implementation.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX