News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Unpopular opinion thread

Started by Shaun M. Neary, 17:16, 16 August 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

A thread that didn't pop up on my searches. I know we have interesting debate on what's a shit game etc, and ones poison is another's pleasure etc.

This is more of a "*gasp* what is wrong with this guy?" thread.

Playing Rainbow Islands and I really dont get why it got praised so much, sure it looks and sounds good but it plays like an absolute dog, it's sluggish and sometimes the controls are unresponsive. I really struggle to rate this one.

Have at it, guys, a clean thread for unpopular opinions on Amstrad games.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Rainbow Islands is one of the best platform games on CPC. The control is good like the arcade game. Better play with keyboard than joystick.

You need to train more.

Carnivius

Can't say I'm a fan of it but I didn't care for it in the arcades either.  Bubble Bobble is great and I play that loads even on PS4 (and love the BB4CPC port that vastly improved on the original shoddy CPC port).  And I loved Parasol Stars so much on Amiga in 2 player and wish that would get ports cos it's so damn obscure in comparison but yeah I just could never get into the that middle game.   Something about that gameplay puts me right off and not just cos it doesn't support 2 players at once like the other games.

Anyways that's all i gotta say cos i feel like doing something stupid.  Byes.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

keith56

Robocop 2 for GX4000 is utterly unplayable! the difficulty curve is so absurd that it feels like no on actually played it before release!

I bought it at Xmas a few years ago, and when the family were round the controller was passed around the room, and no-one could survive more than about 2 seconds.

Yeah, it looks good, but who releases a game where the average person will die in 1 second of starting the game?

I like the galactic plague, sue me!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

roudoudou

You must see the stream of iron to see how easy is the game  ;D
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

arnoldemu

Robocop 2 AND Navy Seals.

Both games are too hard. I only run them to look at the nice graphics and listen to the music. I can't play them.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

robcfg

I tried to finish the first stage of RoboCop2 but couldn't do it.

It's a shame that a game that could have been a big hit has such bad gameplay.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I like The Galactic Plague too.

I don't know why.

||C|-|E||

I think that the perception you have about a game, particularly when you are a kid and everything is new, can change a lot regarding the context  :) . Rainbow Islands, in my case, is a good example. First of all, I remember that I bought it after reading the review in Micromania, and they praised the game a lot. In my mind, if they were praising a game this meant that it had to be good, particularly if Amstrad and Amiga versions were not so different. I was full of hype when I tried it, and that always counts  :) . Then, another personal circumstance is that I have always been pretty bad with arcades, but this one was slow paced and I managed to go through a lot of levels before dying, something that made me to enjoy it more that many other titles that were possibly better but more difficult.

So yeah, the hype was high,  the graphics were nice, the sound was cool, I could play quite a lot of time before dying and the game mechanics were predictable once you got the hold of them. The logical consequence was to love it!  :laugh: Actually, thinking about it, the games I loved the most were always those that allowed me to play for quite a while before the dying. Many years later I would be facing and loving the Souls series, but that is a different thing  :-\

sigh

Green Beret and Rodland.

Green Beret is just horrible to play due to the awful collision and horrible scrolling.

Rodland in particular was a sore point for me as I really enjoyed the game on the Amiga. It's one of those few cases where I wish we got the spectrum port, as that version was much better.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: 6128 on 18:43, 16 August 17
Rainbow Islands is one of the best platform games on CPC. The control is good like the arcade game. Better play with keyboard than joystick.

You need to train more.

Probably the most contradictory statement on the wiki forum ever.
If you have to use keyboard over the joystick, the control clearly isn't as good as the arcade.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: keith56 on 04:34, 17 August 17
Robocop 2 for GX4000 is utterly unplayable! the difficulty curve is so absurd that it feels like no on actually played it before release!

I really don't think that it's THAT difficult, it just requires a lot of perseverance and timing. That said, I haven't had a chance to give it a proper go, but I've definitely gotten further on Level 1 than most youtubers.

Raff Cecco's games were way tougher to be honest.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 11:20, 17 August 17
I like The Galactic Plague too.

I don't know why.

Count me in for 3 in terms of Galactic Plague.
Too bad I then got my hands on Laserwarp, and then GP ended up in the unplayed pile. But yeah, it's not as bad as a lot of people made it out to be.

seanb

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:24, 18 August 17
I really don't think that it's THAT difficult, it just requires a lot of perseverance and timing. That said, I haven't had a chance to give it a proper go, but I've definitely gotten further on Level 1 than most youtubers.

Raff Cecco's games were way tougher to be honest.

I managed to make it quite far on level 1 of Robocop 2 as well and in a short time.
The difficulty is probably too high overall but the biggest problem i had was the shitty gx4000 joypad.
It just isn't comfortable to use.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

||C|-|E||

I think that Galactic Plague is not that atrocious  :) I mean, you cannot compare it with Megaphoenix but it is not SO bad (I think). Green Beret, on the other hand, is quite terrible in my humble opinion. But I remember that we were discussing quite a lot about its virtues and defects in another thread.

tjohnson

Quote from: seanb on 10:07, 18 August 17

I managed to make it quite far on level 1 of Robocop 2 as well and in a short time.
The difficulty is probably too high overall but the biggest problem i had was the shitty gx4000 joypad.

I had Robocop 2 on my GX4000 back in 1990/91.  I don't think I ever got past level 1!!!!!!  Graphically/technically I thought it was a great game but was just too hard.  Real shame that the GX/Plus didn't take off and we got to see more of what it was capable of....I'm not bitter that I bought one at full retail back when it was released.....honest.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:22, 18 August 17
Probably the most contradictory statement on the wiki forum ever.
If you have to use keyboard over the joystick, the control clearly isn't as good as the arcade.  :laugh:

Play with joystick is uncomfortable in this game because up is the jump. Do you get it?
I reaffirm myself. The control in this game is as good as the arcade, playing with keyboard.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: 6128 on 21:41, 18 August 17

Play with joystick is uncomfortable in this game because up is the jump. Do you get it?
I reaffirm myself. The control in this game is as good as the arcade, playing with keyboard.

I understand your point, but the moving left and right while jumping is really bad on the Amstrad version regardless if you're playing with joystick or keys and it totally kills the gameplay especially as it's a platformer. Up to jump works for many other arcade conversions, so for me personally, that's not a valid reason.  :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 10:07, 18 August 17

Can't disagree here regarding that useless lump of plastic called the GX4000 controller. Although it's a lot easier with my quickshot magnum. It's really just a case of timing your jumps.