News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Way of The Exploding fist

Started by cpc4eva, 21:52, 16 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

cpc4eva

i was just on youtube - again :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165bezvsHS0&playnext_from=TL&videos=-kATKCvbY0I&feature=grec

saw this video of c64 way of the exploding fist where the player reaches the highest level and then a raging bull charges towards you and you have to knock it down......

was wondering if anyone here had reached the last level of way of exploding fist on cpc and then saw the bull come charging at you  ????

mahlemiut

As far as I remember, Way of the Exploding Fist just loops the hardest stage indefinitely.
- Barry Rodewald

ukmarkh

I seem to remember it looping after you reached 10th Dan... but who gives a rats arse about a stupid Bull. I'm glad the programmers had the good sense to leave it out of the game. The Amstrad version plays a better game, and is slightly faster and more accurate.

cpc4eva

Quote from: ukmarkh on 15:37, 17 April 10
I seem to remember it looping after you reached 10th Dan... but who gives a rats arse about a stupid Bull. I'm glad the programmers had the good sense to leave it out of the game. The Amstrad version plays a better game, and is slightly faster and more accurate.

ah ukmark u know how to make a bloke Laugh Out Loud LOL   ;D :D ;)

ukmarkh

Quote from: cpc4eva on 21:29, 17 April 10

ah ukmark u know how to make a bloke Laugh Out Loud LOL   ;D :D ;)

[Wipes Brow] Your mocking me aren't you...  :(

cpc4eva

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:31, 17 April 10

[Wipes Brow] Your mocking me aren't you...  :(

no  :)

why did cpc versions miss out alot ?  in yie ar kung fu cpc didnt have fan or chain characters and in ik+ it didnt have the features on c64 like pressing the numeric keys one to five speeds up or slows down the action, and the backdrop can also be changed. Pressing RUN/STOP puts the game into pause mode, and the karate worlds equivalent of Boy Zone treat you to a little synchronised dance. There is also a way to make your combatant's trousers fall down -
[/size]
[/size]very frustrating the cpc versions missed out on much  >:(

ukmarkh

Swings and roundabouts, but I imagine mostly down to the lack of time given to do the CPC version compared with the other two machines. I still maintain that IK+ is a better game on the CPC, despite not having all the bells and whistles of the C64 version. The controls feel more accurate, and trying to complete the bonus stages on the C64 version are close to impossible. They got the difficulty balance just right on the CPC. And let's face it, the CPC could have easily included the animations on the water and spider falling from the tree. If that makes the C64 version better, [scratches head] then there's no hope for people. Nearly forgot, if you press the escape key on the CPC version, the dance routine is included.

MacDeath

Quoteanimations on the water and spider falling from the tree.
And the PacMan too...or was it only on Atari ST ?

Concerning all the missing stuff on CPC :
Well, mostly due to a 464 version only.

You load once...and as the Graphics Datas and Graphic display are heavy enough, you don't have free space for all the missing stuff.

Also because Software animation, more difficult to put.

Does the Z80 need more commands than the C64 CPU ? perhaps.

Amstrad really should have released a CPC4128 instead of a 464...

Johnny Olsen

Talking about The Way Of The Exploding Fist

Have you ever wondered about the strange colors in the title screen ?

I think the screen is made with melbourne draw, the program
stores color codes in the title screen, I found them in the address & FFD0

I've used the codes to change the title screen colors, and I think that was the original colors.

run"fist" and press the F key, when the game is finished loading, to see the change.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 11:25, 21 April 10
run"fist" and press the F key, when the game is finished loading, to see the change.

You are absolutely right here.
I think they added correct colours in internal code.
Then, maybe, perhaps, not sure, they seen that the image looked bad on green screens?!? and modified the palette?
Look @ attached image:
First screen shows colours they used originally
Second shows the "original" palette.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Devilmarkus

Here the same screen differencies on colour screens:

Gryzor

I didn't get it - what exactly and how did they do it?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:24, 21 April 10
I didn't get it - what exactly and how did they do it?

They had an internal colour palette in the image itself located at &FFD0 but they used a different palette in the game.
The internal palette looks cool on colour monitors but weird on greenies.
So I suggested that they changed it to let the title screen look better on greenies, too.

(The game itself: does it also use a patched palette?)

cpc4eva

id say you're right :)  didnt really notice  it .  how clever of them to use the palette for both green and colour screens......

i always wondered why amstrad bothered with a green screen at all it was terrible????  so its a little better for business use but was it really worth having a green screen and a colour screen ?

Gryzor

Yes, because the cost was significantly lower. I think this is reason enough.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: cpc4eva on 13:42, 21 April 10
id say you're right :)  didnt really notice  it .  how clever of them to use the palette for both green and colour screens......

Yes but the palette looks bad now on colour monitors.
The internal palette would look much better.

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 11:32, 21 April 10
Then, maybe, perhaps, not sure, they seen that the image looked bad on green screens?!? and modified the palette?

I'm not sure that you're right about the   green screen, why change the palette because of a title screen and thus   destroy the color image, I could understand if it was the colors in the   game.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 15:42, 21 April 10
I'm not sure that you're right about the   green screen, why change the palette because of a title screen and thus   destroy the color image, I could understand if it was the colors in the   game.

They did this with a few other CPC games, I think Classic Invaders used something similar.