News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Weird controls for Pinball Magic

Started by Vanessa1903, 14:47, 18 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanessa1903

Hi

Firstly, this is my very first post in here so I hope I'm doing this right.

Pinball Magic is a game I absolutely when I had my Amstrad CPC 6128 so, of course, I'd like to play it on emulator but I discovered a weird problem : the controls are particularly unpractical : W for the left flipper and TAB for the right flipper (on my AZERTY keyboard) I tried with several emulators but I still get the same problem specifically for this game (not for any other) Is there a way to remedy to this ? The controls weren't like that at all on my old Amstrad so I don't understand why it happens with the emulators.
I'd be really greatful if someone could help me because I'm really a beginner when it comes to emulators and even worse when it comes to programming so I'm a bit lost. Does the problem come from the configuration of the emulators ? Is it possible to directly change the controls on the .dsk files ?

Thanks for any help or any tip you can give me.
Vanessa

PS : sorry if there are a few grammatical errors in this message. English isn't my first language, I'm French (as you probably guessed because of my AZERTY keyboard)

arnoldemu

Hi and welcome,

Please help me to understand the problem. :)

Your CPC6128.. did it have AZERTY or QWERTY keyboard?

You are playing on an emulator for Mac, PC or Linux? And the keyboard you use on the computer running the emulator is AZERTY or QWERTY?

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Johnny Olsen

You can easily change right flipper to key m.
Use winape and goto &898a and change 16 to 26.

Morri

In WinApe you can also change the keyboard mapping. Go to Settings -> Input. Not sure if other emulators can do the same.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Vanessa1903

Hi !

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

My CPC6128 had an AZERTY keyboard. And I'm playing on an emulator for PC on Windows 10 (I tried Winape, Arnold and Javacpc) and my PC has an AZERTY keyboard too. Sorry I forgot to add all that in my first post.

Quote from: arnoldemu on 16:21, 18 March 18
Hi and welcome,

Please help me to understand the problem. :)

Your CPC6128.. did it have AZERTY or QWERTY keyboard?

You are playing on an emulator for Mac, PC or Linux? And the keyboard you use on the computer running the emulator is AZERTY or QWERTY?

Vanessa1903

How do I do that exactly ? How do I access &898a ? M isn't the best choice (on an AZERTY keyboard) but it's definitely better than how it is now.

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 22:49, 18 March 18
You can easily change right flipper to key m.
Use winape and goto &898a and change 16 to 26.

Johnny Olsen

What keys do you want to use?

Vanessa1903

Ideally I'd like to use this "!" Is that possible ? Or anything in the same line as W. But I guess M would be okey too if I configure my keyboard in QWERTY.

In all cases, thanks anyway.

Johnny Olsen

Does this game work on a real Amstrad?
Why publish a game with such strange key choices?
Does it have anything to do with protection?

I have used the winApe's poke database to change the keys,
It's faster than changing the game and easier to test
different versions of the game.

Use Winape as Emulator.

Replace winape.pok with this new "WINAPE.POK" in winApe directory.
run"pinball"
CTRL F8 takes you to winApe pokes
Highligt Default Keys
Press Poke
Press ok
Play the game

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=notices&num=1636

See keys in "ADDENDUM PINBALL MAGIC"

Vanessa1903

Thank you very much ! It works perfectly. Is there a way to save it so that I wouldn't have to do this every time I play the game ? If not, that's fine : that's already way better than what I had before.

To answer your question, yes it worked on a real Amstrad. Actually I'm almost certain it was my first Amstrad game ever. And it had normal controls at the time. I don't know why it's not the case now. That's why I tried downloading different version of the dsk file on different websites : I thought that maybe somehow there was an error on the first one I had downloaded but the keys were exactly the same with all the versions I tried. It's a really good game so I'm really happy you found a solution. Thank you so much !!!

Phantomz

Quote from: Vanessa1903 on 18:45, 26 March 18
Is there a way to save it so that I wouldn't have to do this every time I play the game ? If not, that's fine : that's already way better than what I had before.

I've applied the poke changes to the cracked version of the game, give the following disk a try.  ;D

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Vanessa1903 on 18:45, 26 March 18
Thank you very much ! It works perfectly. Is there a way to save it so that I wouldn't have to do this every time I play the game ? If not, that's fine : that's already way better than what I had before.

My idea of using WinApe poke was, that you could choose the keys you wanted and then save them to the game.

It's easy to change the key. Find the key number here
https://cpcrulez.fr/codingBOOK_weka_041202.htm

and switch it to hex with windows calculator.

For example, switch "flip left" to A

A Key = 69 dec or 45 hex
Open WinApe poke
Highlight "Flip left" press edit
Press 47 - Change it to 45
Press poke

Vanessa1903

Thank you very much, it works perfectly ! But it seems it works only with Winape, not with other emulators but it's not a big deal : I'll use Winape, that's all.

Thanks again !

Quote from: Phantomz on 19:39, 26 March 18
I've applied the poke changes to the cracked version of the game, give the following disk a try.  ;D

Vanessa1903

Thank you very much for these explanations. This way I can do it for other games if needed.

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 23:09, 26 March 18
My idea of using WinApe poke was, that you could choose the keys you wanted and then save them to the game.

It's easy to change the key. Find the key number here
https://cpcrulez.fr/codingBOOK_weka_041202.htm

and switch it to hex with windows calculator.

For example, switch "flip left" to A

A Key = 69 dec or 45 hex
Open WinApe poke
Highlight "Flip left" press edit
Press 47 - Change it to 45
Press poke

Phantomz

Quote from: Vanessa1903 on 12:57, 27 March 18
Thank you very much, it works perfectly ! But it seems it works only with Winape, not with other emulators but it's not a big deal : I'll use Winape, that's all.

Thanks again !

If you're referring to the disk I patched, then it should work in any emulator or even a real cpc in a hxc or gotek as I've changed the disk file itself.   ???

Vanessa1903

Yes, that's what I thought too but it doesn't work on the Arnold emulator. But, as I said, It's not a big deal : I'll use Winape, that's all. That was just an observation that I wanted to share because I found it strange.

Quote from: Phantomz on 17:08, 27 March 18
If you're referring to the disk I patched, then it should work in any emulator or even a real cpc in a hxc or gotek as I've changed the disk file itself.   ???

remax

I'm quite sure you have a QWERTY/AZERTY configuration problem on the emulator.
Brain Radioactivity