News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Makes want to dig out my PSP and give Outrun 2006 a  go...

Lazy Dude

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:33, 10 May 18
Was there a paperclip shortcut to pause things like the reset one? :D

Solder the wires to the system pause and BUY A SWITCH !
Paper clip idea is up there with inserting a metal coat hanger into the tv aerial socket to save a few quid on getting a proper one! Which I might have done in the past  :P

ukmarkh

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:04, 10 May 18
Makes want to dig out my PSP and give Outrun 2006 a  go...

I've got that as well, but nothing beats the 3DS version, the screen even moves as though you're sitting in the cabinet. But being able to customise my Ferrari is great [emoji1303]

I wish we had a decent CPC version like R-Type for the CPC [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gryzor

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 19:53, 10 May 18

Solder the wires to the system pause and BUY A SWITCH !
Paper clip idea is up there with inserting a metal coat hanger into the tv aerial socket to save a few quid on getting a proper one! Which I might have done in the past  :P

Tell that to my 13yo self :D

Gryzor

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:05, 10 May 18

I wish we had a decent CPC version like R-Type for the CPC

But... erm....

Shaun M. Neary

A new week! Got my hands on Solid Gold, completing my Gold Collection series!

Winter Games: I used to have a lot of fun playing these, still do today. Bobsleigh is still a fun event to play and you need your wits about you for that final bend! Biathlon bores me stupid though. It goes on and on and on forever.

Gauntlet: I don't really need to say anymore. Great conversion, even better with a second player.

IK+: I used to rule the school at this, now my skills are a joke, can just about manage a purple belt with a score of 31,600. More practice is definitely needed on this one!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

robcfg

I played Comando Tracer aka The Last Commando, which is a favourite of mine.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: robcfg on 23:05, 14 May 18

Oh I remember this. This is like Zynaps with the graphics of X-Out! Only it came out years before the latter.
It was also frustratingly difficult too from what I remember.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

tjohnson

Well I've been back playing Jail Break again this morning, managed to make it to level 3 for the first time ever and instantly got killed with no lives left so didn't get to explore the level, one day I will finish this game.
Also been playing pacman this morning.
Whoot update, got well into level 3 of Jail Break today 20/5, top score of 123500 so far.

ukmarkh

Love this game! Could complete it in one sitting back in the day. I remember that beautiful smooth scroll and picturesque graphics.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 10:16, 20 May 18
Well I've been back playing Jail Break again this morning, managed to make it to level 3 for the first time ever and instantly got killed with no lives left so didn't get to explore the level, one day I will finish this game.
Also been playing pacman this morning.
Whoot update, got well into level 3 of Jail Break today 20/5, top score of 123500 so far.

Yeah I'm not even sure if I even managed to get off level 2 of Jail Break. Tough game with fiddly controls adding to the disaster.

Over the weekend, I played:

Turbo Outrun: Not a great game, but not a bad game either. Still a lot more playable than it's predecessor, granted that wouldn't take much. The problem with the arcade version was that they didn't keep the whole choice of tracks theme, so there wasn't as much to hook you as there was on the original.

Supertrux:
I loved this game, and I still find it fun to play, but extremely tough. You're barely allowed crash if you want to make it past the second stage. Swinging a left from London to Brux served as a massive pain in terms of a track to play, but keep to the right and head to Paris and it seems a bit more doable. I'll probably give this another run later tonight.

Sidearms: This had so much potential, but the lack of speed and the main sprite too big is what lets this game down badly. That said, it's quite playable if you can persevere with it. Made it to level 3, and then got crucified with the one life I had left on it.

Lazy Dude

Would love to know what AA mag the review is in. Sadly I got as far as it was released Jan '84. No idea if that is true though.....  :-[

Carnivius

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 13:20, 23 May 18

Would love to know what AA mag the review is in. Sadly I got as far as it was released Jan '84. No idea if that is true though.....  :-[
It came out in 1988.  It would have been an extremely advanced game graphically for 1984 CPC compared to other games released that year. :P
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Lazy Dude

Yeah that's what I was thinkin. Duff info from another website. 88, well that narrows it down, I'll have a check later on.

Shaun M. Neary

Spent most of the weekend enjoying the good weather, and attending a Christening. I did get some retrogaming time in though, and this one was influenced by Xyphoe's stream about Elite's arcade conversions on Friday night.

Buggy Boy: The lack of speed sadly impacts the game in a negative way, but other than that, it's still very playable. Managed to finish the Offroad track a few times now, but North, South, East and West is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. So I'll need to get more practice in. Which is exactly what I'm doing during quiet time in work right now.  ;)

Skunkfish

I used to love Buggy Boy back in the day, but on my big bro's Amiga. Was a little disappointed when I borrowed the CPC version from a mate...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Skunkfish on 14:16, 29 May 18
I used to love Buggy Boy back in the day, but on my big bro's Amiga. Was a little disappointed when I borrowed the CPC version from a mate...

We had it on the Amstrad, really liked it until we played the C64 version, never went back to it... It doesn't hold up well today either, but the challenge is there if you like your racers sedate like

Skunkfish

The C64 version looks surprisingly smooth!
I keep meaning to try the arcade game, although I don't have the screens to emulate its triple screen set-up. Looks awesome though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF9hvw7-wMQ
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Lazy Dude

The sound on that C64 is errr..... non existent!
Must've sold the speakers to buy those extra monitors!  :D

Lazy Dude

I agree with @ukmarkh  back in the day it was a fab game, I remember borrowing this from a mate at school.
It was addictive.
It hasn't stood the test of time for me, especially as the sheer variety of CPC games available to us now are so much more than your local shop back in the '80s could ever hope for.

Shaun M. Neary

Thanks to a Facebook challenge: Flying Shark

This isn't the best of games but it's certainly not the worst. It's a little more sedate compared to 1943. Wasn't a massive fan in the arcade initially but I did play this to death when I got it as part of the 'Taito coin-op Hits' compilation.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I still can't get past level 3. But I'll be returning to this as there's only four levels in the game.

It's fun. But you do need your wits about you for it!

tjohnson

Well I finally managed to do it, got to level 8 on Jail Break with no cheating, after level 5 where you rescue the prison warden the game loops back round to level 1 again and restarts.  Level 3 is probably the hardest level, followed by level 1.  Level 4 the easiest.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:03, 04 June 18
Well I finally managed to do it, got to level 8 on Jail Break with no cheating, after level 5 where you rescue the prison warden the game loops back round to level 1 again and restarts.  Level 3 is probably the hardest level, followed by level 1.  Level 4 the easiest.
Respect for that! That is NOT an easy task to say the least. I must revisit it, but the awkward controls put me off. Switching weapons can easily kill you.  >:(

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:58, 04 June 18
Respect for that! That is NOT an easy task to say the least. I must revisit it, but the awkward controls put me off. Switching weapons can easily kill you.  >:(

Thanks, I have been playing this as my main CPC game for a while now and was determined to finish it.  I got on a roll and it all came together.  I tend to stick to the pistol, use the grenade launcher for the fat men and the rocket launcher for the vehicles.  Other than that keep going and don't try and shoot every convict. On level 3 I shot a hostage just as I was reaching some fat men so lost the grenade launcher, fortunately I found the game sent a woman hostage regularly if I waited so was able to recover the weapon and continue without losing any life.  I got used to the controls.  To think I got this for my birthday and I would assume it was about 1986 it has only taken me 32 years to finish it.  I watched a video of the arcade and its not a bad conversion, the backgrounds a pretty consistent with the arcade but the rest is simpler.

Optimus

I have been playing Shadows of Sergoth and I love it!
It was a long time since I last played a game on the real CPC, I mean really dedicated, from start to finish in front of the real CPC, not in an emulator.