News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

zeropolis79

Quote from: AMSDOS on 06:28, 25 July 15

It was one of 4 Mastergames when it was reviewed in AA68. The other 3 was a Flight Simulator game (don't remember the name), Switchblade for Cass/Disc (I think) & Total Recall.  :)

F16 Combat Pilot (Digital Intergration), Switchblade cass/disc (Gremlin), B.A.T (Ubi Soft) and Total Recall (Ocean)

dcdrac

it is good if you stick with it, the balance of maintaining  M.A.D (Mutually Assured Destruction) was not easy but an amazingly originally idea for a computer game, you could laways play to lose and let them blow up the world.

Puresox

Games like these are great cos it always means I have something on the Amstrad that will maybe one day entertain me. Battlefield Germany similar, although with that I do find procedure too slow.

dcdrac

oh yeh over use the nukes in BFG the AI kicked in and you had full on wipe out, if you played it cleverly as NAtO you held a defensive line giving a few kilometres here or there and got your helicoptes knocing out the Warzaw pacts supply ime you could hold out until the NATO reinforecments arrived and push them back

ukmarkh

Quote from: Puresox on 22:55, 21 July 15
I like both the Space harriers probably mentioned it before , Don't find it particularly sluggish on SH2 .

SH2 yeah it's not the quickest thing in the world , but can you really see an Amstrad throwing all those sprites around any faster ? Apart from doing it with wire frame like the first one? don't think it's a bad effort really , Especially when sluggish comes to mind with most games on the amstrad .

The games I like on the CPC aren't sluggish when compared to games you mention. Space Harrier (Amazing), Wec le Mans, Dan Dare 3, Robozone, Robocop, Operation Wolf, Mr Heli... The list goes on. I liked U.N.Sqadron, but it's too slow to be playable, so what's the point. Outrun and Turbo Outrun were the same, ruined the experience for me. Well, it's all subjective at the end of the day, but there's no argument that if Space Harrier 2 on the CPC ran at the same pace as the original, it'd be playable, and Space Harrier and most SEGA games are all about speed.

dcdrac

I also loved Arnhem because I used to play it by ditching Montgmery's plan, and came up with my own, I put all the parachute troops into Arnhem UK, US Polish, and then want around Nijmegan, and also hit the bridges with the mobile armoured units

arnoldemu

I enjoyed Space Harrier on the CPC. It's fast although it is vector like and if you look the graphics scale smoothly.

I was curious to see if it really was line drawn, and looking at the code I'm not convinced it is. The vector graphics appear to be stored as sprites in a special compressed format so drawing a scanline at a time. I can see that doing that means there is hardly any pixels drawn and it will be fast. So although they may have been designed as vector graphics they seem to be pre-converted into sprites.

There appear to be functions for drawing various runs of pixels.

So it doesn't appear to be "pure" vector graphics i.e. drawing lines from point to point.

The man is a sprite and has a mask stored, so effectively 2 times the graphics used up *BUT* this means it is fast to draw.

Like I said, I enjoyed Space Harrier a lot.

@ukmarkh: I understand where you are coming from. I found the same with Outrun and Turbo Outrun, they are a bit too slow, and it's more of a challenge to endure the game rather than to enjoy it and finish it.

For me contintenal circus is fast, and if outrun had been the same then I think it would have been much better. I feel for outrun perhaps they did too much maths and tried to do real 3d projection to make the road work instead of doing an approximation. Doing 3d roads on 8-bit and 16-bit is more about good fakery than doing real maths.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Puresox

Well I will enjoy Space Harrier and Space Harrier 2 equally. And for different reasons . I am in the minority in rating SH2 , but I think it is perfectly adequate , there is a great variety in stages and bosses and it plays and a pace that is acceptable. I really can't see the CPC ever pushing the amount of lovely sprites about the screen . More than this does . Which I know isn't the point that bothers you but still, I really enjoy the game when I play it , so consider it a successful game on the Amstrad .
Anyway, as you were..

AMSDOS

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 14:35, 25 July 15
F16 Combat Pilot (Digital Intergration), Switchblade cass/disc (Gremlin), B.A.T (Ubi Soft) and Total Recall (Ocean)

So AA reviewed them games back in 1991 (Issue 68) and I think F16 Combat Pilot slightly edge out the other 3 games according to AA. But do you have a different favourite out of those games?  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

zeropolis79

Well, I have all four of these games (Switchblade only being on tape though).. They're all good in their own way but I'd have to say Switchblade is my favourite of the four.

Re: Space Harrier.

I had both games back in the day and while both were good, I felt the first one was the better game.

||C|-|E||

Did anyone manage to land in F16 combat pilot? I had some pretty long flights, but they always ended crashing. Maybe it is me, though, because I also had a horrible time to land the planes in the much easier Gran Thief Auto V  :D :D

remax

Quote from: cosa_nostra-6128 on 13:33, 25 July 15
Super michel skills you do not like ? Screen small but fairly fast game

I don't know this one, i'll have to try it :)
Brain Radioactivity

dcdrac

Quote from: [[C|-|E]] on 18:12, 26 July 15
Did anyone manage to land in F16 combat pilot? I had some pretty long flights, but they always ended crashing. Maybe it is me, though, because I also had a horrible time to land the planes in the much easier Gran Thief Auto V  :D :D

A couple of times I pulled off a landing in F16 just had to get the speed and angle of attack dead on

zeebee

This week after a long time away from my emulator.. I am playing Guild of Thieves by Magnetic Scrolls.

I never played it all those years ago, but I do remember the adverts and good reviews. It was definitely one I wanted.

I am really enjoying it. I didn't think I'd stick with it long, I thought I would just play around a little while but I've been making some steady progress and have been on it every evening so far. :) The puzzles are all sensible so far, once you solve them (!), and there is plenty to do and some funny moments too. I am doing my best to resist googling for help or solutions, just trying to recreate that 80s feeling of being on your own with it and waking up in the night with ideas about how to get down in the cellar without the rats killing me!

No spoilers please! :)

TrainingForUtopia

TFM

Space Chicken! Even made a high-score...  :-X :-X :laugh: :-X :-X :-X
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

For me it's Helvera: Mistress of the Park. I am determined to complete this game.

||C|-|E||

I am basically testing and coding my own text adventure instead of being with the PS4 and the Whitcher 3 or Mad Max  :picard2:

VincentGR

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 18:21, 22 October 15
I am basically testing and coding my own text adventure instead of being with the PS4 and the Whitcher 3 or Mad Max  :picard2:

Yes, but don't you feel complete with this?  ;D

||C|-|E||

Quote from: VincentGR on 18:42, 22 October 15
Yes, but don't you feel complete with this?  ;D

I feel very complete but, when I am done, I am going to play Mad Max, Whitcher III with all the expansions and Fallout 4 to death  :D :D :D

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Still going through the CPCRetroDev entries :)

dodogildo

I'm on a playtrough of Rick Dangerous 2

The good thing is that I'm planning to continue the quest with the GX4000 Gamepad which just arrived by @CraigsBar :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

Shaun M. Neary

Decided to have a crack at Paperboy. I managed to get to the third day and I started to get a bit bored though.
Manic week in terms of work, so not had much chance to play games.

Paperboy used to keep me entertained for hours way back. These days the repetition got to me.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Resurrecting this thread for the gamers.

Playing Karnov at present. Although the cracked version won't bring you back to the start of the game when you run out of lives. Thankfully there's an original image I can load with a Gotek.

What you playing?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?