News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

And final game of the last weekend was Robocop.

I've finished this on the Spectrum, and still haven't finished it on the Amstrad! I make it just before the final screen and then get nailed before I finish it.

Some day, I'll get there though.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Lazy Dude

So I was browsing around looking at this and that, and I came across a review for 'After the war' its a Spanish game, no problem I may have to swot up on Google translate for some bits but what the hell, a good game is a good game.
Then I discovered it was released in UK and reviewed in AA52. Could this get any better?
I downloaded the dsk and then a lightbulb went on..... I had a look at my ancient tape collection and lo there it was as handy as you like. No need to download the instructions then!
How odd I had it all these years. And totally loving it for this week and the next 😎

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Lazy Dude on 14:13, 21 March 18
So I was browsing around looking at this and that, and I came across a review for 'After the war' its a Spanish game, no problem I may have to swot up on Google translate for some bits but what the hell, a good game is a good game.
Then I discovered it was released in UK and reviewed in AA52. Could this get any better?
I downloaded the dsk and then a lightbulb went on..... I had a look at my ancient tape collection and lo there it was as handy as you like. No need to download the instructions then!
How odd I had it all these years. And totally loving it for this week and the next 😎

After The War is a class game. A lot of Dinamic's games had a tendency to be well written and look really well.
They also had a tendency to be quite difficult too. I always managed to get to the end of After The War, part one, but never had either enough energy to defeat the end guy, or I'd lost a life somewhere and respawned so far behind that I'd run out of time by the time I got to him the second time around. Stupidly strict time limit on that game.

There are also English and Spanish versions of most Dinamic games too, handy if you're like me, can't speak a word of Spanish and you need to redefine the keys!  :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

VincentGR

Found a photo that I took recently and yes, I have After the war too, couldn't remember that  :picard:

Lazy Dude

Nice selection you have there.
Well we can't  all be expected to remember what stuff was bought decades ago, and yeh end of level bad guy is a toughie.
I am trying to perfect my high kicks on level one, they seem to be doing somthing.

Shaun M. Neary

This week so far!

Robocop: After 30 years, I finally finished the thing. Bucket list!
Hunchback: Also finished this today, did two and a half rounds of it and racked up a nice big score to top the scoreboard.

A good week and that's with barely any playing time!

Dominoid

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:32, 22 March 18
Robocop: After 30 years, I finally finished the thing. Bucket list!

Your next task is to do the same on the Commodore 64 version ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Dominoid on 21:57, 22 March 18
Your next task is to do the same on the Commodore 64 version ;)

I would but the faded palette of the C64 would make me throw up my lunch!  :laugh:

Shaun M. Neary

Currently playing: Frank Brunos Boxing.
Got this on budget in 1988 and was really disappointed with it at the time due to the fiddly controls.

Hindsight being 20/20, it was the closest thing we got to Nintendo's Punch Out at the time of it's original release, and it's actually a lot of fun too. The last few guys are very difficult. The Italian guy (Ravioli?  :laugh: ) has been kicking my ass the last few rounds.

tjohnson

I've been playing a few GX4000 games today, Batman and Crazy Cars II.  Batman is strange with the slowdown, seems to happen mostly when Batman is near the top of the level (level 1 I haven't got past the Batmobile level yet).  Crazy Cars II the music could be used in a torture chamber!  It's taking me back to being 14 again playing the games in my bedroom on my Tatung 14" CRT connected with Scart although I had neither of these for my GX.

Shaun M. Neary

Batman on cartridge is an abortion. I won't go near it, the slowdown is just too distracting.

Had a visit from @CraigsBar earlier today, so there was some 2 player fun to be had on a recently repaired GX4000 (bandy joystick ports lost some pins so new ports had to be fitted).

We treated ourselves to rounds of Gauntlet and Rampage. Much fun!

Vyper68

I managed to get a complete copy of the Amstrad version of Elite Gold a week ago so i am playing that again now after reading "The Dark Wheel" again. It's 35 years on and i still cannot dock properly ( story of my life  :-X )
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:14, 25 March 18
Batman on cartridge is an abortion. I won't go near it, the slowdown is just too distracting.

Has anyone worked out what causes the slowdown in the cartridge version, seems weird as the disk version doesn't seem to slowdown;

tjohnson

I was playing batman again last night, I've got to the batwing level. I do pefer the coloring of the gx4000 version but the slow down is annoying on level 1.  Oddly the slowdown seems to happen most when batman is at the top of the level.  Maybe the original game code was optimised, while the code for gx4000 used an early code release before optimisation, i think they were released a couple of years apart so quite possible the code releases were different.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Joseman

Quote from: tjohnson on 09:38, 27 March 18
I was playing batman again last night, I've got to the batwing level. I do pefer the coloring of the gx4000 version but the slow down is annoying on level 1.  Oddly the slowdown seems to happen most when batman is at the top of the level.  Maybe the original game code was optimised, while the code for gx4000 used an early code release before optimisation, i think they were released a couple of years apart so quite possible the code releases were different.

As i was told by an expert coder (i dont know if he want his name here cause i know that he wanted to do something related), the ocean code for batman, robocop, darkman etc, is anything but optimized, it's wasting memory having the scoreboard twice, and he told me that can rewrite the code to make this games run at a much higher speed.

blackdalek

I was playing Master Chess tonight by Amsoft/Mikro-Gen against the computer on the easiest level, given the renewed interest in Chess lately with Joseman's CPChess developments...
I knew I was bad at chess, but I thought I at least knew most of the rules. I got to a point where the game would not let me continue.
Computer said "check with mate in 1 move". As far as I could tell there was only one move I could make to get my king out of check, but the computer wouldn't let me do it. When I pressed the R key for a hint. The computer recommended I move a completely different piece on the board which would have resulted in my king being taken. Not sure what happened there, so I just quit the game  :P
I thought that when your king was being threatened by check it was illegal to make a move that deliberately keeps yourself into check, but apparently the computer wanted me to make a suicide move ;)
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Joseman on 13:57, 27 March 18
As i was told by an expert coder (i dont know if he want his name here cause i know that he wanted to do something related), the ocean code for batman, robocop, darkman etc, is anything but optimized, it's wasting memory having the scoreboard twice, and he told me that can rewrite the code to make this games run at a much higher speed.

Not that I found anything wrong with the original games but I would definitely find this interesting and give them another play through.  :D

VincentGR

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:52, 27 March 18

Not that I found anything wrong with the original games but I would definitely find this interesting and give them another play through.  :D

Same here, Robocop is one of my favorite games ever.

blackdalek

I liked the bat wing level on the Batman Movie game. I think because I found it the easiest of all the levels :P
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Carnivius

Quote from: Joseman on 13:57, 27 March 18

That is very interesting since for example RoboCop already packs in quite a bit into it's initial tape load on a 464.  First couple of levels, nicely animated sprites (the legs being quite smoothly done), mini-games and a couple tunes all in there.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Joseman

Quote from: Carnivius on 16:08, 27 March 18
That is very interesting since for example RoboCop already packs in quite a bit into it's initial tape load on a 464.  First couple of levels, nicely animated sprites (the legs being quite smoothly done), mini-games and a couple tunes all in there.

I LOVE, Robocop, Batman the movie and Darkman.

As he told me, if you use a vertical rupture and separate the scoreboard from the buffer (and have the 2 game buffer en #c000), you can gain 2k-4k, and apply the modern sprite routines with this free memory.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: blackdalek on 15:31, 27 March 18
I liked the bat wing level on the Batman Movie game. I think because I found it the easiest of all the levels :P

That level was concocted by the devil. I always get screwed over in the last 20 seconds of it!

tjohnson

Yeah got to the batwing on final life but lost too much energy, might play again tonight

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:14, 25 March 18

So I had another play with this tonight I think the slowdown is in the music only not in the graphics difficult to tell without a side to side video but while the music labours the actual movement seems ok.  I guess the laboured music gives the impression of game slowdown but it seemed to play ok.  What is causing it is strange, would be good to get some answer on this and see if its possible to fix the cartridge version as the colours are much better than the original when compared side by side, a much more subtle palette.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 22:15, 27 March 18
So I had another play with this tonight I think the slowdown is in the music only not in the graphics difficult to tell without a side to side video but while the music labours the actual movement seems ok.  I guess the laboured music gives the impression of game slowdown but it seemed to play ok.  What is causing it is strange, would be good to get some answer on this and see if its possible to fix the cartridge version as the colours are much better than the original when compared side by side, a much more subtle palette.

I disagree a bit. I'm not a fan of the GX Palette of Batman at all. Maybe cos I was just used to the original but I genuinely felt that they took a great game in Batman and made it worse for the GX between pricking about with the colours and the music slowdown which still distracts from the gameplay.

They took a fixed game, and they broke it.