News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:47, 14 April 18
Well I liked it.  :)

It's not like I don't understand or see what people are complaining about though.
But I remember, as a kid, thinking the bad scrolling was part of giving the player the tension.
(I also remember two mates laughing at it though).

I do recognize that the controls aren't the best - but since I didn't try out the original Arcade game, I just assumed that's how it was. And I enjoyed the game a lot.  :)

You're just kidding yourself, it's like Stockholm syndrome [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjohnson

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:43, 14 April 18
It's bad, sluggish controls, crappy sprites, crappy jingle like tune, decent background graphics, gave the CPC a bad name, definitely harmed sales as everyone from that point forward believed the CPC couldn't scroll. I've completed it many times as I was stuck with it as a kid, my mum paid over a tenner for it from memory. I don't believe anyone was that blinkered back to not know that the CPC version had major issues.

No way is it that bad.  I got it as part of a Konami 6 hits pack, my main issue at the time if I recall was just how damn hard it was.  I never once saw it in the arcade (and still haven't) nor played it on any other format so had/have nothing to compare it to.

ukmarkh

Quote from: tjohnson on 15:15, 14 April 18

No way is it that bad.  I got it as part of a Konami 6 hits pack, my main issue at the time if I recall was just how damn hard it was.  I never once saw it in the arcade (and still haven't) nor played it on any other format so had/have nothing to compare it to.

Oh well [emoji17] it appears as if people really do live under rocks

Carnivius

Green Beret?  One of my least fave games I own for CPC though I got it on the Ocean Top 20 compilation for 99pence so it wasn't a bad buy since there were so many great games on those tapes too.  But yeah crappy game, but I never liked the arcade game much to begin with.

recently I been playing Stryker in ye olde crypts of trogan, magica, Island of Dr Destructo and Back to the Golden Age.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:47, 14 April 18
Well I liked it.  :)

It's not like I don't understand or see what people are complaining about though.
But I remember, as a kid, thinking the bad scrolling was part of giving the player the tension.
(I also remember two mates laughing at it though).

I do recognize that the controls aren't the best - but since I didn't try out the original Arcade game, I just assumed that's how it was. And I enjoyed the game a lot.  :)

Meh, fuck the haters. I enjoyed Green Beret as well *and* I played it in the arcade first. People who obsess about scrolling in 8bit video games clearly need to get out more, I'm sorry, but it was a 64k with limitations. At least it didn't blend in with the background! Plenty of games had similar treatment Ghosts N Goblins, and nobody complains about it there, despite that game also being marred with dreadful flickery sprites and missing half the game!

The controls weren't the worst either, but the collision detection was my biggest gripe in the game. Sometimes it didn't recognise your stab and you ended up colliding with someone you thought you hit.

On topic:
Just finished a 72 hole game of the original Leaderboard after getting used to the faster putting compared to Leaderboard Tournament.
Novice level, but managed 72 holes with 23 under par, which I didn't think was all that shabby. Some of those courses are a real nightmare to navigate!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Ok so more from recent sessions.

Pub Trivia Simulator - First got this in the Quattro Coin-Ops collection around 1992 and was hooked on this due to the music and showbiz questions. The sports ones can take a running jump though, was never into sitting in watching people run around fields. Managed a score of 3850 (Average), I'm ok with this.

Donkey Kong - I keep coming back to this one, didn't do so well this time around. Got to 75mm on level 2. I usually do better than that, didn't bother noting the score.

Chuckie Egg - One of our esteemed posters here showed me a screen grab of his score with a message saying "Beat that, Buster!" Of course, what he didn't know was I got a good practice run about two weeks ago, and his score had only topped mine by about 500 points. I gave it another run, and topped his by about 15,000 points, totalling mine to 89,890 points.

Not bad before Sunday lunchtime, if I do say so myself.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Pub Trivia Simulator - Made it to Bright! Score = 5750. Again due to the Showbiz and Music questions

Donkey Kong - Better today! Level 2, 100m. Final score: 43800.

Paperboy - Despite the inexcusable lack of sound, I still loved this one and still do today. It's still very playable. Probably the most playable out of all the 8bits. I think I made it to either 13 or 14 days and racked up a score of 99,250. Was gutted that I didn't make it to the 100,000 mark but it just got trickier the further I got on. It's not bad for a game that essentially loops.

Shaun M. Neary

Rampage - Was always a fan of this in the arcade. One of the first multiplayer games, I think it even predates Gauntlet but don't quote me on that. It's also criminal that the budget and compilation versions changed the loader and removed the two awesome loading screens.

Managed to get 8728 on one credit.

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 00:06, 04 April 18
They rushed Pang, I'm not saying it isn't good, but in later levels it's bugged as hell, balls get trapped, collision detection is way off and it just serves to ruin what should have been a great game playing experience. I find it almost impossible to progress without cheating, I don't have this issue with the Amiga or arcade version. So I know it's not me. I think people like to claim it's great without fully experiencing it to its fullest, it would be good to know how many people have actually completed it without cheating?

I completed it without cheating whilst at uni. (not many games I can say that for)

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:21, 18 April 18
I completed it without cheating whilst at uni. (not many games I can say that for)

What system?

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:32, 18 April 18
What system?

6128plus, the only one I had at the time.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ukmarkh

Quote from: TFM on 20:20, 29 October 14

Sadly it's a speccy port, that makes it slow, the screen area small and the scrolling jerky.

It's better than the crap version on the SNES...

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 05:57, 19 April 18
It's better than the crap version on the SNES...

Hm that required a bit of searching through old posts to find out what you were referring to having quoted a reply from 2014. :P

But you meant UN Squadron?  The SNES game is excellent.  Lacks the 2 player mode which even the CPC version does well (for some reason most of Capcom's early SNES games dropped the 2 player mode but it's less notcable here than in Final Fight, thankfully Street Fighter 2 kept it)  but it's very playable, smooth, fun and has a mission based structure
Certainly one of my fave 16 bit shooters and one I go back to often.  I'm a big fan of both the CPC and SNES games for different reasons.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Shaun M. Neary

I never thought I'd be saying this about this game...

Beyond The Ice Palace - I've actually managed to make it off the second level without using a cheat! Got up to level 3 and was completely taken by surprise by the return of the dragon from level 1. It's doable it seems, once you have the power sword from level 2 as a weapon. I also remembered never to take up that sword in level 3 cos you reach a spot where two daggers are beside each other and you WILL end up picking up one of them, losing your weapon and the rest of the game is impossible!

Weekend project: To defeat this one with no cheats and no snapshots!
Final Score: 24180

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 07:51, 19 April 18
Hm that required a bit of searching through old posts to find out what you were referring to having quoted a reply from 2014. :P

But you meant UN Squadron?  The SNES game is excellent.  Lacks the 2 player mode which even the CPC version does well (for some reason most of Capcom's early SNES games dropped the 2 player mode but it's less notcable here than in Final Fight, thankfully Street Fighter 2 kept it)  but it's very playable, smooth, fun and has a mission based structure
Certainly one of my fave 16 bit shooters and one I go back to often.  I'm a big fan of both the CPC and SNES games for different reasons.

The SNES version is less forgiving with that one life bollox. Sorry, they ruined it

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:04, 19 April 18
The SNES version is less forgiving with that one life bollox. Sorry, they ruined it

WRONG!
The arcade counterpart only had one life. And technically so did the CPC version, except it offered 3 chances to continue it. But the SNES version wasn't 'ruined' because of it. If anything, it made it more faithful to the arcade.  :)

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:04, 19 April 18

Didn't ruin a damn thing.  It's a great game and well-regarded by most gamers that played it.
Even many years later it's getting good reviews.  IGN rated it as 37th best SNES game and said '
QuoteProving that Konami's Gradius series wasn't the only shooter worth playing early on in the SNES library, Capcom also offered up an energetic port of their arcade game, U.N. Squadron. This game is nuts – a side-scrolling shooter starring real-world jet fighters instead of spaceships and featuring a cast of anime-styled characters, it packed in tons of power-up items, explosive boss battles and even a running cash total for your pilots. You could use that money to buy more planes and wilder weapons, of course. Even crazier was the fact that Capcom went the extra mile for this SNES port, actually infusing it with even more options and upgrades than the arcade original had. Home console ports usually go the other direction, sacrificing content in order to fit the home format. Not U.N. Squadron. It soared.
and a Nintendolife review said
QuoteThe opening level may seem a little too tough but the difficulty curve is otherwise well judged in what is a challenging game. The occasional instances of slowdown are unfortunate but there's not much else to fault with this excellent shooter. With some great music, varied levels, exciting action and interesting bosses, U.N. Squadron is a game that's enjoyable to play through again and again.
and gave it 9/10. 

I certainly consider it one of my all time fave shooters too.  Definitely one of the ones I played most, particularly back in the SNES era along with Axelay.  Only thing missing was the 2 player mode. 

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Carnivius on 08:56, 20 April 18

I certainly consider it one of my all time fave shooters too.  Definitely one of the ones I played most, particularly back in the SNES era along with Axelay.  Only thing missing was the 2 player mode.

THIS, and to be honest, the two player mode didn't stop the show either. It wasn't a deal breaker for Bad Dudes on the 8bits.

Shaun M. Neary

In a vain attempt to get back on topic...

Started playing Death Stalker last night. It's actually a nice attempt for a budget, especially when it came in one of the Quarttro packs. The menu and screen instructions are quite amusing too. I think I'll be sticking with this one over the weekend.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 07:40, 20 April 18

WRONG!
The arcade counterpart only had one life. And technically so did the CPC version, except it offered 3 chances to continue it. But the SNES version wasn't 'ruined' because of it. If anything, it made it more faithful to the arcade.  :)

Without a continue system, like the arcade and other versions, I lost interest, found it too difficult to progress, prefer other versions. I'm not going to argue with Nintendo fanny boys.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 10:46, 20 April 18
Without a continue system, like the arcade and other versions, I lost interest, found it too difficult to progress, prefer other versions. I'm not going to argue with Nintendo fanny boys.

So let me get this straight... if the game isn't dumbed down enough for you, you lose interest?
For the record Mark, I was a Sega fanboy.  :P

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:03, 20 April 18

So let me get this straight... if the game isn't dumbed down enough for you, you lose interest?
For the record Mark, I was a Sega fanboy.  :P

The crippling frame rate dumbed down the experience for me if that's what you're referring to. I loved the arcade version, just not the SNES. I've given my reasons, if that's not good enough for you, tell someone who gives a #### [emoji1303] [emoji23]🤪[emoji6]

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 10:46, 20 April 18
I'm not going to argue with Nintendo fanny boys.

Didn't know there were any here.  I'm certainly not one. I bloody hate Nintendo these days.  :-X

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 13:57, 20 April 18
Didn't know there were any here.  I'm certainly not one. I bloody hate Nintendo these days.  :-X

They're everywhere, secretly masquerading as Sega fan boys [emoji23] they pretend not to be and go out of their way to convince you otherwise

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 13:17, 20 April 18
The crippling frame rate dumbed down the experience for me if that's what you're referring to. I loved the arcade version, just not the SNES. I've given my reasons, if that's not good enough for you, tell someone who gives a #### 🤪

Clearly you do give a #### as you're going out of your way to inform us!
You actually never mentioned the frame rate (didn't notice myself), only the lack of credit system which by itself is a lousy reason to crap on a game.

Spoiler: Dont ever play 1943 - it only gives you one life.  ;) :laugh: