News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:56, 22 April 18

Please! I'll just use Blanka and keep tapping the middle punch with your ass stuck in a corner.
AND IT'LL BE ON THE SEGA VERSION!!

(Less serious for you?  :laugh: )

On the Sega version, but with you using a SNES pad [emoji23] Being good at green Beret won't help you here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:59, 22 April 18
On the Sega version, but with you using a SNES pad Being good at green Beret won't help you here...

You're convinced I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Only Nintendo console I bother with is a WiiU. Laugh all you like but I lost 3 stone due to Wii Fit U in large part.  ;)

For the record, you have admitted you never finished Beyond The Ice Palace without cheating.
So you don't ALWAYS win. And that's okay.  :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:01, 22 April 18

You're convinced I'm a Nintendo fanboy. Only Nintendo console I bother with is a WiiU. Laugh all you like but I lost 3 stone due to Wii Fit U in large part.  ;)

For the record, you have admitted you never finished Beyond The Ice Palace without cheating.
So you don't ALWAYS win. And that's okay.  :D

This was you earlier, playing Street Fighter 2... So stop lying [emoji23]

I only discovered Ice Palace later on in life, kids and a job get in the way of a single sitting these days, so I used save states, so technically cheating.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:06, 22 April 18
This was you earlier, playing Street Fighter 2... So stop lying

I only discovered Ice Palace later on in life, kids and a job get in the way of a single sitting these days, so I used save states, so technically cheating.

I'm insulted. Plus I was always more a Mortal Kombat guy anyway.

I use save states occasionally when I'm really pressed for time. The way I see it, save states are redeemable of it means finishing the game in one sitting in the end.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:11, 22 April 18

I'm insulted. Plus I was always more a Mortal Kombat guy anyway.

I use save states occasionally when I'm really pressed for time. The way I see it, save states are redeemable of it means finishing the game in one sitting in the end.

I wish the C4CPC in conjunction with my GX allowed for save states, so many games I'd like to invest the time into, especially with a pad, but don't have the luxury of a single gaming session.

I loved MK, but I don't seem to play it as much as SF2, hopefully we will see the likes of SF2 on the CPC soon.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 21:53, 22 April 18
I wish the C4CPC in conjunction with my GX allowed for save states, so many games I'd like to invest the time into, especially with a pad, but don't have the luxury of a single gaming session.

I loved MK, but I don't seem to play it as much as SF2, hopefully we will see the likes of SF2 on the CPC soon.

I won't go near those pads. I'll use a Quick Shot Maverick instead. Those pads are so ergonomically unpleasant!

And there's always Exploding Fist and Yie Ar Kung Fu!  :laugh:

Back on topic:

Green Beret: I'm blaming @tjohnson for this. I enjoy this to be honest. It has it's flaws but then the same people who bash Green Beret would spend hours floating on Space playing the most boring game on the planet better known as Elite, so its horses for courses really.

I'm doing pretty lousy at it. Although I had 54km (35m) cycle earlier and a couple of drinks after so I'm not quite with it for gaming, and given the games poor CD, you need your wits about it. So I'll give it a few more runs.

UPDATE: Got to end of level 3 again. End of level is badly glitched as once you run out of rockets to kill the end of level choppers, the pilots can't be stabbed. So it's either have a perfect aim for all four, or you're dead. A frustrating glitch but I'll see if I can do it again tomorrow.

Score to date: 70,800

Gryzor

Right, I hope all of you had a good night's rest and cut back on beer. Next post even remotely smelling of flame will result in this thread being cleaned.

CraigsBar

Well. From tonight..... This!

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

My haul arrived today interrupting my Green Beret spree!

Skunkfish

I'll be attempting another go at Pentomino in survival mode to see if I can get a less embarassing distance into the game....

Other than that, I'll be playing FM Touch on the Switch, if I can wrestle it away from the wife who is hooked on Splatoon 2.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

CraigsBar

Looks like I need extra practice at this one

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:34, 24 April 18
My haul arrived today interrupting my Green Beret spree!

Is it just me, or does the Story so Far box with the 8bit logo look like a Megadrive?

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:57, 24 April 18
Well. From tonight..... This!

What a great game, I was lucky enough to find this on disk for a tenner at a car boot

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:54, 24 April 18
What a great game, I was lucky enough to find this on disk for a tenner at a car boot

An I thought 20eur Inc postage was good for the tape. You got a real bargain. [emoji1]

Score getting better

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 18:53, 24 April 18
Is it just me, or does the Story so Far box with the 8bit logo look like a Megadrive?

Hahah I've often wondered if that's what Sega modelled the design on, myself. 😂

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:10, 24 April 18
An I thought 20eur Inc postage was good for the tape. You got a real bargain.

Score getting better

You're gonna have to do better than that to topple me, matey!  ;)

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:20, 22 April 18

Green Beret: ....

UPDATE: Got to end of level 3 again. End of level is badly glitched as once you run out of rockets to kill the end of level choppers, the pilots can't be stabbed. So it's either have a perfect aim for all four, or you're dead. A frustrating glitch but I'll see if I can do it again tomorrow.

Wait, ive never had Green Beret glitch like that (cracked version?). I mean i wasnt particular good at the game at first and sometimes id enter the lvl 3 boss without picking up a rocket launcher too, but once on the screen, the blue bonus weapon trooper would away spawn & upon killing give me a new rocket launcher. Same if i ran out of shots .. just wait untill the current enemy runs off the screen or kill him, to get a new blue bonus guy run in (and kill him to get another rocket launcher). Good luck  ;)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Cholo on 20:26, 24 April 18

Wait, ive never had Green Beret glitch like that (cracked version?). I mean i wasnt particular good at the game at first and sometimes id enter the lvl 3 boss without picking up a rocket launcher too, but once on the screen, the blue bonus weapon trooper would away spawn & upon killing give me a new rocket launcher. Same if i ran out of shots .. just wait untill the current enemy runs off the screen or kill him, to get a new blue bonus guy run in (and kill him to get another rocket launcher). Good luck  ;)

Was playing the CNG version, but I also recall seeing it on the Konami Arcade Collection version too.
I'll be giving it another go in a few. Wrestling with some very old tapes that are quite stuck in terms of playing, fast forwarding and rewinding! 😂

Shaun M. Neary

@cholo Surprised myself and managed to make it to level 4 tonight. The glitch is still present on occasion even on the original version that I loaded from an iPod, usually after you're shot down the second or third chopper, so I guess the key is to improve my aim.

Hopefully will finish it tomorrow!

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 22:46, 24 April 18
@cholo Surprised myself and managed to make it to level 4 tonight. The glitch is still present on occasion even on the original version that I loaded from an iPod, usually after you're shot down the second or third chopper, so I guess the key is to improve my aim.

Hopefully will finish it tomorrow!
Ah ok, the blue guy may perhaps not respawn as fast as i remember, like outside on the normal lvls he only spawn ever so often, but with a bit of patience he always end up respawning. May take a while but as long as you arnt carrying a special weapon & wait he'll end on coming. You can also use this to your advantage on particular nasty sections .. aka before entering a particular nasty/crowded areas, simply find a nice "safe" area like on top of a ledge, carrier, catwalk, platform etc. & just kill the shooters untill the blue guy spawns & he will even gladly climb the ladder up to you just like the shooters.

Oh and good luck. You will need it on lvl 4 & on as they litterally do things to ramp up the difficulty like 800%. A bit unfair if you ask me, remembering you are still just a single guy taking on a infinite sized army with just a toothpick (Darn you devs, lol)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Cholo on 20:35, 25 April 18
Oh and good luck. You will need it on lvl 4 & on as they litterally do things to ramp up the difficulty like 800%. A bit unfair if you ask me, remembering you are still just a single guy taking on a infinite sized army with just a toothpick (Darn you devs, lol)

I'm slowly discovering this. The special weapon for that level is awful too. Very non responsive.
I've just about nailed levels 1-3 though. Just need to figure out how to get through 4. Racked up a nice score tonight, 92080. But failed to finish it again so I've settled for this for the night.

Shaun M. Neary

Only got to do some proper playing on the Sunday. The weather kept me outdoors!

1943 - Oh dear oh dear. Musically, it was there, graphically it was there, but four screens and a loop around makes this somewhat of a disappointing conversion. I can't help but think if a bit more time and a few more levels had been added to the mix that this could have been so much better. Still, not a bad way to kill 10-15 minutes while a Windows update was installing, but once you've done those four screens once, there's really no going back to them.

Punchy - Complete Hunchback ripoff, but I enjoy these kind of games. I'll probably give it another couple of attempts tomorrow just to see if I can finish it. As it stands, I'm about halfway through. Late night impatience got the better of me, I guess.

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:31, 30 April 18
1943 - Oh dear oh dear. Musically, it was there, graphically it was there, but four screens and a loop around makes this somewhat of a disappointing conversion. I can't help but think if a bit more time and a few more levels had been added to the mix that this could have been so much better. Still, not a bad way to kill 10-15 minutes while a Windows update was installing, but once you've done those four screens once, there's really no going back to them.
Ah yes, If 1943 hadnt been that short it would have been a real classic. Its saving grace is the 2 player co-up mode thou. Dont get me wrong its not near Ikari Warriors 2 player or Silkworm 2 player but its quite ok & does give the game a difficulty level as you have to share the power-ups & its easier for 2 players to mess up and the game is only "easy" as long as you are fully upgraded with the machine guns. A good game if you have a friend visiting who arent particular "amstrad gaming savy". Still barely a hours worth of gameplay in this one.

Park Patrol - Suddenly remembered this one. Aint too bad for a 2 bucks budget game. Does suffer for the "super sprint difficulty" a bit .. aka in the attempt to implement different difficulty/speed levels you end up somewhat crippling the beginning of the game. Of cause later levels play at a much smoother speeds & controls. Also i guess it does suffer a little from mode 0 fat pixels.

Shaun M. Neary

Got a bunch of stuff in this week. 4 compilations.

SDI: First game I loaded from the Special Action compilation. Criminally underrated game that hits a very frantic pace from about level 4 onwards. Graphics are Spectrum like but it plays quite well. Made it to the defensive half of level 5 for now but will definitely return to this one before the week is out!

Xevious: Probe software before they got completely and utterly lazy. This one has all the hallmarks of coming from the design team of Slap Fight a year or so earlier. The arcade of this was fun and so is this conversion. Looks well for an old game, scrolls nicely enough for a vertical scrolling shoot em up. Easy to control and not requiring the need for a second fire button. The first choice of load from the Space Ace compilation which quite honestly, doesn't have a bad game on it!

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:16, 02 May 18
Got a bunch of stuff in this week. 4 compilations.

SDI: First game I loaded from the Special Action compilation. Criminally underrated game that hits a very frantic pace from about level 4 onwards. Graphics are Spectrum like but it plays quite well. Made it to the defensive half of level 5 for now but will definitely return to this one before the week is out!

Xevious: Probe software before they got completely and utterly lazy. This one has all the hallmarks of coming from the design team of Slap Fight a year or so earlier. The arcade of this was fun and so is this conversion. Looks well for an old game, scrolls nicely enough for a vertical scrolling shoot em up. Easy to control and not requiring the need for a second fire button. The first choice of load from the Space Ace compilation which quite honestly, doesn't have a bad game on it!

I personally found both of these games to be boring, poor translations to the Amstrad CPC. There's no real challenge either, the same goes for 1943... Have you ever played 1942 for the Amstrad, what were Elite thinking releasing that?

I actually quite enjoyed SlapFight, but for me that tiny screen and slow pace does kill the experience a little, the colours do look amazing though.