News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

what are people playing on their cpc's this week ?

Started by cpc4eva, 08:41, 05 April 14

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:31, 30 April 18
Only got to do some proper playing on the Sunday. The weather kept me outdoors!

1943 - Oh dear oh dear. Musically, it was there, graphically it was there, but four screens and a loop around makes this somewhat of a disappointing conversion. I can't help but think if a bit more time and a few more levels had been added to the mix that this could have been so much better. Still, not a bad way to kill 10-15 minutes while a Windows update was installing, but once you've done those four screens once, there's really no going back to them.

Punchy - Complete Hunchback ripoff, but I enjoy these kind of games. I'll probably give it another couple of attempts tomorrow just to see if I can finish it. As it stands, I'm about halfway through. Late night impatience got the better of me, I guess.

i love punchy!!! first game i played! :) .

this last month i have played 3 games:

Orion Prime, Doomsday last Echoes and galactic tomb. finished all of them, so much fun!

ComSoft6128

While digging thru old discs a few months ago I found SlapFight, that one must win an award for having the smallest playing screen on the CPC - or was there anything worse?

mahlemiut

Last V8 had a pretty small playing area, at least vertically, anyway. 
- Barry Rodewald

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 06:50, 02 May 18
While digging thru old discs a few months ago I found SlapFight, that one must win an award for having the smallest playing screen on the CPC - or was there anything worse?

Yes! Supergran.
Your playing area was small compared to the size of the sprite you had control of.
At least the sprites for Slap Fight matched the playing area!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 09:06, 02 May 18

Yes! Supergran.
Your playing area was small compared to the size of the sprite you had control of.
At least the sprites for Slap Fight matched the playing area!
The blues brothers was also super tiny ISTR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ComSoft6128

I have a copy of "The Fury" by Martech that I will looking at this weekend. Is it as bad as the original reviews suggest?
Has anyone played this?

Cheers,

Peter

Shaun M. Neary

So testing the Special Action compilation that arrived in bundle 1:

The Vindicator: Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't get the idea behind this game? All I seem to do is wandering around aimlessly in and out of rooms and occasionally keying in codes (anagrams of all the programmers), wasting bullets and eventually dying. It's a game I keep coming back to despite not getting any further in!

Driller: Freescape bores me. Was more a test to see if it works.

Captain Blood: I will actually sit down over the weekend and read the manual for this. It looks beautiful but I don't have a foggy notion in terms of what I'm supppsed to be doing in this game at all. It looks like a steep learning curve to be honest. But in terms of presentation, it's up there with one of the best on the CPC.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

VincentGR

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:57, 02 May 18
The Vindicator: Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't get the idea behind this game? All I seem to do is wandering around aimlessly in and out of rooms and occasionally keying in codes (anagrams of all the programmers), wasting bullets and eventually dying. It's a game I keep coming back to despite not getting any further in!

No you're not.
I don't understand either nor my friends.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: VincentGR on 19:59, 02 May 18

No you're not.

It's quite possibly one of the most difficult CPC games I've ever played. And to think that Ocean almost marketed this as a sequel for Green Beret. Thankfully Konami released an official sequel later that year called M.I.A!

ukmarkh

Quote from: VincentGR on 19:59, 02 May 18

No you're not.

I couldn't understand it either, kept getting lost. Ended up skipping the first level, but the rest was mediocre at best... There is another game where the first level sucks like this, I think it's Thunderzone, giant mechs have to navigate through a maze like structure, massively boring, but after that the game gets really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

remax

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 19:57, 02 May 18
Captain Blood: I will actually sit down over the weekend and read the manual for this. It looks beautiful but I don't have a foggy notion in terms of what I'm supppsed to be doing in this game at all. It looks like a steep learning curve to be honest. But in terms of presentation, it's up there with one of the best on the CPC.

Not so hard : Your mission : find the coordinates of the five numbers (your five remaining clones) and teleport them into your ark so that you can kill them and get back your life fluid.
You go on a planet (the first one is always populated) then you navigate on it (but thanks god, on the Amstrad port, this tedious part is avoidable by ESC), then you talk with the local alien until he gaves you a mission and one or many coordinates, so that you can meet more aliens, so that they give you more missions and coordinates so that you can progress in your search.

Even if the quite small number of planet on the CPC port makes it possible to cheat (that's how i finished it the first time : try each planet until you find someone), the right way to play the game is to avoid by all cost counting on luck and just talk with the guys you already met until they give you more informations.

EDIT : 1000th post for a post on my favorite game on CPC, yay !  ;D
Brain Radioactivity

Shaun M. Neary

A bank holiday of retrogaming begins as I finish testing some of the box sets I got this past week!

North Star: I think this came with Ten Mega Games vol 1, but I can't be sure but that's when I first played it. It's bundled with Space Ace which I'm finishing testing. I've always had a soft spot for this one.
Amazing tune once again by Jon Dunn, probably some of his best work of I'm honest. The game itself is a bit on the tricky side though, I've learned not to move too fast because you simply can't break in time in order to avoid a collision!

On the positive, I did manage to get past the second level! Which I consider an achievement for North Star!

Cybernoid: Lovely graphics, but load it for the music, because it's the only thing you'll experience from start to finish, unless you use a cheat, but fuck that!

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 01:00, 05 May 18
A bank holiday of retrogaming begins as I finish testing some of the box sets I got this past week!

North Star: I think this came with Ten Mega Games vol 1, but I can't be sure but that's when I first played it. It's bundled with Space Ace which I'm finishing testing. I've always had a soft spot for this one.
Amazing tune once again by Jon Dunn, probably some of his best work of I'm honest. The game itself is a bit on the tricky side though, I've learned not to move too fast because you simply can't break in time in order to avoid a collision!

On the positive, I did manage to get past the second level! Which I consider an achievement for North Star!

Cybernoid: Lovely graphics, but load it for the music, because it's the only thing you'll experience from start to finish, unless you use a cheat, but fuck that!

What? My cousin and I loved Cybernoid, admittedly we never finished it, but I looked on a YouTube long play recently, we got bloody close. The 2nd game is even better.

I own Northstar, but labelled it as one of those games I will come back to (that was thirty years ago) as it didn't grab me from the off. I will try to give it a go this bank holiday [emoji1303]

Cholo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:04, 02 May 18...It's quite possibly one of the most difficult CPC games I've ever played. And to think that Ocean almost marketed this as a sequel for Green Beret. Thankfully Konami released an official sequel later that year called M.I.A!

If i recall right the maze in Vindicator is quite logic so if you get in trouble you can draw a map. The trick is that they arnt linear so you get confused & double back a few too many times. You do get a compas of sorts to help you navigate, but i guess the game would have been better if it had had a mini-map like Death Wish 3.

Then its just getting around to kill enough aliens to get keys, ride the elevators & use the terminals. Of cause that isnt as easy as it sounds. Ive always had trouble juggling the different "strength" ammo myslef but i guess the trick is to use the low "strength" ammo when you life bar is full, make sure to pre-fire if you know you are entering a new room & get ready to duck the alien shots. Takes a little bit of practice but aint hard to do once you get the hang of it.

I guess the game suffers a bit from being programmed by "the old generation". Aka you get sent into the dark wood by yourself & have to remember your way back .. even without breadcrumbs. Today kids have google maps & gps  :D
Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:42, 05 May 18
What? My cousin and I loved Cybernoid, admittedly we never finished it, but I looked on a YouTube long play recently, we got bloody close. The 2nd game is even better.

Cybernoid is indeed finishable. Most of the game you can just shoot your way thru, however there is some real nasty "green wall maze with unkillable patrolling ships" in there that is incredible hard to pass as they require correct timing & 100% pixel perfect movement skill. Infact i can only recall making it thru the game using a real "the arcade" or "competition pro" joystick. Now before we all accuse Raffaele Cecco of bad programming, lets not forget that the game thankfully has a "invisibility" bonus that even being extremely short on time should get you past all the "walls" screens .. except the very last one where you need to show off your coordination skills at least past the first 1-2 walls before triggering invisibility & race thru the rest.
One general trick to the game is to take your time as well. Some screens are also perfect for "harvesting" bonuses, weapons/bonus items as as long as you stay in the right area the enemies will continually respawn & you can then stock up on everything, before moving on.
Cybernoid 2 however is great too & is thankfully free off the "perfect" requirements.

robcfg

I'm playing Galactic Tomb, and I'm enjoying it a lot!

Shaun M. Neary

Before I get started, I want to correct my previous post. North Star's music wasn't Jonathan Dunn's, it's actually Ben Daglish, who did a lot of stuff for Gremlin too, but this is still up there as one of his best.

Finishing off the Space Ace compilation testing, I literally saved the best for last.

Exolon: Fuck me, how and why did I never give this game a proper chance back in the day? Typical Cecco game, so it's infuriating to play. But by the same token, it keeps dragging you back again and again. Lovely graphics, ok tune. I've made it to zone 22 so far, so I can't imagine me surviving just over 100 more. But I'll definitely give it more of a go over the bank holiday weekend.

Space Harrier: Managed to beat my personal best making it to level 10, but this game should be more aptly titled 99 ways to die! I'm not a fan of vector graphics in general, but given this game's arcade counterpart, I completely understand sacrificing full sprites for the speed. Without speed, this game would be nothing. It's frustratingly addictive though, you know you're going to die repeatedly and then you'll die some more. But when you hit screen 10, KNOWING that you've only six screens left to go. It's really difficult to put it down.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 23:27, 05 May 18
Before I get started, I want to correct my previous post. North Star's music wasn't Jonathan Dunn's, it's actually Ben Daglish, who did a lot of stuff for Gremlin too, but this is still up there as one of his best.

Finishing off the Space Ace compilation testing, I literally saved the best for last.

Exolon: Fuck me, how and why did I never give this game a proper chance back in the day? Typical Cecco game, so it's infuriating to play. But by the same token, it keeps dragging you back again and again. Lovely graphics, ok tune. I've made it to zone 22 so far, so I can't imagine me surviving just over 100 more. But I'll definitely give it more of a go over the bank holiday weekend.

Space Harrier: Managed to beat my personal best making it to level 10, but this game should be more aptly titled 99 ways to die! I'm not a fan of vector graphics in general, but given this game's arcade counterpart, I completely understand sacrificing full sprites for the speed. Without speed, this game would be nothing. It's frustratingly addictive though, you know you're going to die repeatedly and then you'll die some more. But when you hit screen 10, KNOWING that you've only six screens left to go. It's really difficult to put it down.

On Spacer Harrier, one of my favourite games on the Amstrad, you can pause the game and press the + key for an extra life [emoji1303]

ukmarkh

Playing Speed King intensely... Trying to beat my old lap times. I did get it down to around 50.3 at Silverstone, but I forget to take a pic. Love this game.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:13, 06 May 18
On Spacer Harrier, one of my favourite games on the Amstrad, you can pause the game and press the + key for an extra life

I don't like using cheats though. Any idiot can beat a game that way, nullifying the achievement.  ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: ukmarkh on 07:16, 06 May 18
Playing Speed King intensely... Trying to beat my old lap times. I did get it down to around 50.3 at Silverstone, but I forget to take a pic. Love this game.

Wow! Full respect, the best I managed yesterday was 54 seconds, and I am not sure my gear changing quickly enough skill is the to get faster.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 07:58, 06 May 18
I don't like using cheats though. Any idiot can beat a game that way, nullifying the achievement.  ;)

You'll probably die and never complete it [emoji15] it's one I can complete, but trust me, there's plenty I can't...

ukmarkh

Quote from: CraigsBar on 08:50, 06 May 18
Wow! Full respect, the best I managed yesterday was 54 seconds, and I am not sure my gear changing quickly enough skill is the to get faster.

Yeah, thx [emoji1303] I'm trying to do it without cheating on corner 3, purely staying on the track, so I think 50.3 is good so far.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 08:58, 06 May 18
You'll probably die and never complete it it's one I can complete, but trust me, there's plenty I can't...

Well this is it. I'm the same, I've seen the end of many games that others haven't. It's all down to persistence at the end of the day. The respawn/infinite lives culture has killed off gaming for me these days. I love GTA for example, but let's face it, you can't lose at the game, can you?

Just back from a 2 hour cycle along the coast. So gonna have another crack at Space Harrier in a few.  :D

ukmarkh

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:05, 06 May 18

Well this is it. I'm the same, I've seen the end of many games that others haven't. It's all down to persistence at the end of the day. The respawn/infinite lives culture has killed off gaming for me these days. I love GTA for example, but let's face it, you can't lose at the game, can you?

Just back from a 2 hour cycle along the coast. So gonna have another crack at Space Harrier in a few.  :D

The problem with GTA is that the game instructs you on what to do next, you have to follow the mission based script in order to progress. So not a true open world experience in that sense, but it's still massively fun. There's still a few games out there you can lose at, but these tend to be indie titles, but disappearing fast.

ukmarkh

Bloody hell! Managed to get my Silverstone lap down to 00:49:4 [emoji28] Massively addicted to this, I challenge you to better it [emoji23]