News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WIP: The Last UFO

Started by invent, 13:09, 09 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

invent

Thanks for showing Pang, yes certainly looks very smooth. 
Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

Carnivius

Dunno if it's relevant but I was shown this video some time ago in regards to smooth movement on regular CPC and this is running in overscan for a bigger than usual screen.

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

arnoldemu

Quote from: Carnivac on 13:21, 10 October 15
Dunno if it's relevant but I was shown this video some time ago in regards to smooth movement on regular CPC and this is running in overscan for a bigger than usual screen.

SyX the master! :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Love those screens. Pure pixel pr0n, so I'm anxious for more :)

Ast

UWOL? Never finished game.... Arrrrgggg...
Will it be finished one day? Don't know if Syx is already working on it.

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Puresox

Been looking forward to that game for a long time, is it too good to become reality??

McKlain

I can tell you that the game development was stopped long time ago.

TFM

Yes, sadly, they had a disagreement. The GFX are really nice though!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

That is tragic , it really was looking like a quality piece of work  :doh:

invent

Quote from: McKlain on 21:41, 10 October 15
I can tell you that the game development was stopped long time ago.

Shame it didn't get completed. Has anyone tried to contact the individuals? Looks like the game engine has great potential.

arnoldemu

DadMan made the the excellent graphics! :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

invent

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:38, 11 October 15
DadMan made the the excellent graphics! :)

thanks Arnoldemu - The same person who did the excellent Teodoro game ;)

MacDeath

QuoteHi MacDeath,

Thats a good suggestion with the Magenta/Purple, I have updated the image above.  :)
Removed the pastel green, I agree.

re-added the Jet with a Purple pixel.

I'll experiment more with your other suggestions but keen to keep the Bright Yellow on the bricks to keep that goldish look.

Now 14 colours :)
Yeah, love to discuss palettes... lol...

Never hesitate to use pastel Yellow as it is a more mixed colour so actually compatible in more gradiants and hues shifts...

straight colours (all basic ones, in dark and bright) are a bit "pure"...
then you have the pastels variants (added colours inside) and what I call hybrids ones (like orange...) which may allow to shift from one hue to another...

Of course it doesn't always work well...

but can allow extra hues gradiants or extra subtility... or even more contrasts.

every thing with green inside will lack contrast : the greens/cyan/yellow have quite low contrast between the bright and pastel... but you can do more subtle gradiants like green going into pastel cyan or yellow.
You can also skip the bright Cyan/Yellow/Green for one of the hybrid ones (Lime = yellow+green, seagreen = cyan+green).
in those cases, the hybrid hue would add extra contrast not in luminosity but because of the hue shift.

ex :
= dark yellow - bright yellow - pastel yellow : the contrast between bright and pastel is not good/visible.
but : dark yellow - Lime - Pastel yellow : this is more sibttle, actually can pass for both green or yellow gradiant, and you may see more differences between the "bright" (Lime) and Pastel hue.
= same with cyan and sea green...
=Dark Green - bright green - pastel yellow work quite well too.

Most pastel variants are less saturated so they can mix with more colours than bright pure variants.

the Mauve = blue+ purple enable a very nice gradiant with pastel blue indeed.

and of course you can ALWAYS use Black and White as extremes in a gradiants.

Else, you can't get many long gradiants with the CPC palette, only ones working well are very classical and overly used (yet valid and usefull) the Dark Red to pastel yellow and dark blue to pastel cyan...

BTW you can also always aim for 4 colours with Black - dark/medium colour - pastel/bright colour - white for most graphical elements (small gems)

True Grey ("white"... lol) is somewhat hard to mix (to me... some manage it) beside B&W of course as a pure gradiant's hue, because it is too medium in everything.
Then you can use dithered surfaces as well.
etc.

I tried a few recolours on the tilesheet, not to critisize or tell it is better, just some tryouts for the fun.
I found out the colours you used on your png pictures are not quite... into precise CPC theoric palette.

what colours did you used ?

CPC Palette - CPCWiki
Video modes - CPCWiki

you can posterize into 3/3/3 so it does theoric CPC palette... or use 0/128/255 values (or even 0/127/255... can't really even the "half" value of a CPC, but we often assume to use the 128...)

QuoteThere's 47 colours.   A lot of slightly different value versions of the CPC colours in there.  With those wrong ones adjusted to correct values there are 27 in total which is every colour in the CPC palette.  Next problem there is many of those screens are using about 20 colours at once when 16 is the limit.

So these graphics will need some modification to be truly possible on CPC but with some careful work they shouldn't look much different than they do now. 
QuoteMore than 50 colours. (but 27 good ones if posterised)
The problem is more that most of the pictures use >16 colours without the score bar.
damn, forgot it was already told...
"Tile" applications are not always precise in the palettes. gotta check the palette options.
Modern computers in true colours would often forget that... some things need "limited colours" instead of "true colours"...

invent

Hi MacDeath,

I use the https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/AmstradCPC_palette.png palette as reference but when you talk about colours I use the other link that describes the colours, very handy.

You make very good points that will take some moments to sink in but I will certainly relook how I use the colours, for right or wrong :) 
Always appreciate time taken from yourself and others to fine tune and improve elements. As I reduce the palette for each themed level map, I will see what I can do to either vary or fine tune :)

Carnivius

@macdeath  Nice palette ramps though strangely missing that the darkest blue can work with purple and that purple can work with the grey too.  :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

MacDeath

yeah, I didn't tried to do proper longs on this one, was mostly to show the CYAN/GREEN/Yellow ones (short or not)

I think I will do some ramps like those with a bit more method and more complete... or not.

Dear @Carnivac :
i would really like that you publish your ramps and tricks.
::)
I quite fail to include grey in anything... compared to C64, on CPC it doesn't work well or... not as easily.
same with the Magentas... hard to find Magenta in nature, lol...
But you always do it so well. :'(

BTW those ramps (the ones I post) are not very varied, but I try to get straight ones with slight subtility.

The basic and straight (dark-bright-pastel) Green/cyan/yellow would not work well IMO unless you use the Lime or Seagreen or Skyblue at some points.

Also on CPC as the 16 inks limitation stays quite a limitation (or even worse in Mode1... lol) and as the pixels are big, may not be able to try to use too many colours in a huge gradiant... unless you aim at a big full screen picture I guess.

That's the beauty of it : to manage to get soemthing not looking toooo cartoonish.

Classic games would screw the graphics by applying CPC palette into straight C64 graphics, or using far too straight Hues gradiants
Basically they would put the long RED-Yellow (orange) or the long Blue-cyan (via skyblue) + B&W&G...

by working with more smaller gradiants, with some hybrids here and there, I guess you can get great things.

I quite like the DarkCyan - SeaGreen - pastel Cyan... really a nice cold Cyan one.
Same in Yellow (with Lime), to me this makes for better Cyan or Yellow gradiants in 3 tones.

Basically all the medium ("bright") colours are the one to always screew the graphics into an overly primary coloured thing.
I always feel they are the ones to be avoided unless some specific elements (big red blood...) or assumed cartoonish graphics of course.
Otherwise, some element may want some "warmth" (Bright)... others not (pastel)... can really gets subtle.

especially in Mode1... no more than one in the palette !

invent

A quick update :)

It's been bugging me that I haven't updated this project for a while.
Over time since the last update I have been working away on a little more of "The Last UFO" :)

A few things have been resolved such as the player and enemy reaction.
That is the bullets from both are homing which will simplify the gameplay.

Hope you enjoy the update, sorry its been so long.

Examples of drawings to pixels.

the updated sprite sheet.

The example of pencil drawings of enemies.

An example of the converted 16 colour Egyptian level

Gryzor

Oh wow. Everything looks really nice - the screens, the sprites, the drawings... thanks for sharing!

invent

It's time to kickstart (ok thats probably a bad word) this game again, this time it's worth actually setting a deadline. 
All graphics, maps completed by this year :)

Will post some new graphics in this thread soon and possibly some questions before I attempt to get all maps completed.

invent

Egypt Map completed :)
Please click the link above, didn't want to break the forum posting with large image.

I have a question. 
Now that I have completed the first theme "Egypt", I need to get some sort of idea how much memory I have left to do other levels.
The main bulk of new graphics would be in new enemies "eg Enemies_Egypt.png" and new theme tiles eg"Lvl_Tiles_Egypt.png" are the two current files used for Egypt.

This map has 120 screens (plus the spacer screens).  The tiles used are shown.

-Key
- Doorlock
- Treasure (shows treasure to collect for all other levels - that is im aiming for 5 other themed maps)
- Enemies (3 or 4 per theme)
- Player ship (includes bullets, jets, disappear sprite and bullet collectable)
- Enemy_laser

Target machine is the Amstrad CPC 464 (64K)

I would like to have music and sound effects but am unsure how to budget my ratio of memory, any tips or suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

"The Covenant" game is possibly the closest game comparison if you see it on
youtube for example.

Targhan

QuoteI would like to have music and sound effects but am unsure how to budget my ratio of memory, any tips or suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

If you're using Arkos Tracker 2 for the music/sfx, count 2-3kb for the player and sound effects maximum, plus the music (2-5kb in average, for one song). The lightweight player is already available if you want to make a test.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

invent

Thankyou Targhan, Very useful information.

I might possibly have a musician who is currently working on an Amiga game with me currently (ProXima 3)
Knowing what some of the tools people use is certainly very handy.