News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Wolfenstein 3D on the CPC?

Started by Xyphoe, 19:26, 30 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchausen

Quote from: Bryce on 09:48, 11 January 13
Because you can.

Bryce.

Yeah, I was just pre-empting other peoples comments. I have a switch on the side of my TI-83 that doubles the clock speed. Why? Well, I can't really justify it, so, just because. But this is insane!

All this talk reminds me of this:

Munchausen

Quote from: fano on 12:20, 11 January 13
I'd be interested to know the screen resolution and memory layout of this machine.Btw, the source code may be very interesting.

TI-82, 83, 84, 85, 86 are all Z80 based and most have similar games. Some of the calcs are much more powerful though... latest version of the TI-84 is clocked at 15MHz! There is even a GB emulator. The TI-89 (though its a 68k) has a speccy emu.

For memory maps etc check out the wikiti here: [size=78%]http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=Calculator_Documentation[/size] and ticalc.org [size=78%]http://www.ticalc.org/programming/resources/[/size]

ticalc.org is the best place to find software for these, or used to be, anyway. Source code for gemini (top video) is included in the download here: Gemini - ticalc.org

BTW, that video doesn't really do gemini justice. It has moving doors, enemies, weapons and full levels with a bunch of different textures.

Bryce

Quote from: fano on 12:20, 11 January 13
I'd be interested to know the screen resolution and memory layout of this machine.Btw, the source code may be very interesting.

The TI-84 has a 96x64 screen.

Bryce.

Puresox

Clever, amazing and impressive!

cpcitor

Quote from: Munchausen on 01:21, 11 January 13
Though this calculator (TI-83) has a 6MHz Z80 it only has 32Kb RAM. But it's only 1 bit colour so textures are very small! And I know; seriously, it's a calculator, why?

:o And I thought that Dungeon Master on HP48 was impressive for a calculator.

The second screenshot is the actual game speed.

Core code in pure ASM (fast!)

Data formats highly optimized for low memory consumption

display of: walls, teleporter fields, buttons, on-floor objects, flying objects, stairs, carried objects, secret areas (walls you can pass through).

carry objects, pick up those you find or put them down, throw them away (they don't fall yet!). You have a backpack containing up to 18 objects and 6 pockets assigned to keys for fast access.

climb stairs up and down, fall into pits, be teleported. Unlimited number of levels (so far, two levels, and a limited width of 64, and 4096 blocks).

save the game and be able to continue later.

all 3D display with a real-time shrinking display routine, used for monsters and for the animated splash screen, like in the original Dungeon Master game on the Amiga.

More screenshots on DM48 Home Page. A Dungeon game for the HP48 with items etc.
Game download size is 18928 bytes.

Let's compare...

HP-48 runs on a 1MHz saturn processor with 4-bit wide bus with 32kb RAM total.

Resolution on HP48 is 131x64 pixels.

HP-48 was introduced in 1990, TI-83 in 1996. Perhaps it's not bad after all.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

sigh

Sorry to bump this thread - but I was wondering if anything at all is happening with this?
I was watching the spectrum version of wolfenstien. Very impressive stuff!:

WOLFENSTEIN 3D game on ZX Spectrum 128!!

I know that Optimus was saying that most of the memory was used up for the raycasting and I think that the way this version on the spectrum is being handled is quite interesting. The letterbox screen and 1 colour gives a very good speed(though it's hard to make out certain objects/things). The layout of where the gun sprite is placed is also a very good idea to keep things simple, but I much would of prefered to have seen the gun on the actual play area as that would of made the immerive nature of an fps much  more complete. Also in regards to the sound - I think that sound effects of footsteps, doors opening and monster type sounds would of worked far better to enhance the overall atmosphere rather than a soundtrack.

There also seems to be some sort of sprite scaling for the enemies?

I'm thinking that mode 1 graphics and a smaller screen like the speccy version (but with enough room to have the gun on the play area) would be idea for this game in terms of memory and would provide quite a smooth experience. Graphically - if everything thing could fit on an 16kb sheet, then another 8kb for sound and then leaving the rest for renderer/AI etc how feasible would this be?

First preview of my wolfenstein engine for Amstrad CPC

Looking at the cpc version, it has a lovely smoothness an it's very clear to see what's going on. :)

dcdrac

Is this finished and in a downloadable form? if it is I would love it

Gryzor

The Speccy is very nice in working around the difficulties, but I think it ultimately doesn't look too good. It's ok if you know the original and have it in mind, but on its own it's quite messy...

dcdrac

If a Spectrum can do it a CPC definitely can