Author Topic: Wolfenstein/RPG engine preview 1  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Optimus

• 464 Plus
  • Liked: 148
Wolfenstein/RPG engine preview 1
« on: 00:13, 06 October 16 »
I decided it's time to release a preview of my wolfenstein engine, both the free movement one and the smooth dungeon crawler use of it in a game I planned but never finished last year. Since I am not sure when I will be motivated to continue working on this project, I thought it's good CPCists have the opportunity to move around those mazes and be inspired by what it might be.

Because of the last gamedev compo, it made me make changes to the engine so that it can run in 64k machines and so you have bother 64k/128k editions and GX4000 cartidge. You see few differences like 64k flickering because of not enough memory for double buffering (which I might find ways to solve, especially in cartidge versions). And you will notice a lot of artifacts because of the optimizations (false positive interpolations, ugly junk in fade algorithm on rpg version) bad aliasing and colors/textures which can be better.

To give the credits due, the wall and door on rpg version is from sigh, the knife I just ripped from wolfenstein 3d, the old red walls must be from art studio tile editor.

Maybe I'll write some more info on my blog or post progress on youtube when I get back to this project again (which I am not sure when, but as I was recompiling code to prepare these previews I started getting flooded with inspiration for new gameplay and ideas how to fix some bugs, so maybe it will be soon or maybe next year :P).

Anyway, I attached the previews.

Offline andycadley

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 283
Re: Wolfenstein/RPG engine preview 1
« Reply #1 on: 00:28, 06 October 16 »
Looks pretty cool. Interested to see where you can take this.

Offline VincentGR

• 6128 Plus
    • Parts from the past.
  • Liked: 192
« Reply #2 on: 00:50, 06 October 16 »
Just amazing!
To blit, or not to blit?
Amiga 1200 Black Project

Offline alex76gr

• CPC664
  • Liked: 81
« Reply #3 on: 00:52, 06 October 16 »
What kind of magic is this! :o
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)

Offline roudoudou

• CPC6128
    • urban exploration
  • Liked: 212
« Reply #4 on: 09:43, 06 October 16 »
Optimus the RPG is quite impressive with the fading of colors, it's very nice!

BTW you did not mention the URL of your blog?
Ready

Offline Optimus

• 464 Plus
« Reply #5 on: 10:14, 06 October 16 »
Optimus the RPG is quite impressive with the fading of colors, it's very nice!

BTW you did not mention the URL of your blog?

Sorry, it was just mention on the readme file.
computerhermit.blogspot.com

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • Liked: 304
« Reply #6 on: 20:11, 06 October 16 »
Very nice stuff!

In my opinion, the RPG should also be with a free motion, else it's only a "dungeon master", and should be done with bitmaps for a much better rendering. The huge advantage of your engine is that you can move/rotate as you wish!

Offline HAL 6128

• 464 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 153
« Reply #7 on: 23:27, 06 October 16 »

Impressive.

The RPG remembers me to the PC game "Stonekeep" which was a very, very great game. Also, no free motion, only discontinuous movements and 90° rotation. Have a look at YouTube. But with a great atmosphere (sounds and grafix) and nice gameplay for that time.

On the CPC RPG is faster, so might be residual cpu power for opponents AI and sound?
...proudly supported Pentomino with GFX

Offline Optimus

• 464 Plus
« Reply #8 on: 23:32, 06 October 16 »
In my opinion, the RPG should also be with a free motion, else it's only a "dungeon master", and should be done with bitmaps for a much better rendering. The huge advantage of your engine is that you can move/rotate as you wish!

That's a good point, I'll think about it, I just found it much easier now in this version to hide all bugs in the engine which normally appear at specific angles and when you walk close to some walls :)
« Last Edit: 23:34, 06 October 16 by Optimus »

Offline Sykobee (Briggsy)

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 176
« Reply #9 on: 16:01, 07 October 16 »
I remember the initial video a few years back. The videos are quite Legend of Valour esque.

I think 5fps is fine on the CPC in an RPG view - I would like smooth movement from one tile to the next, but keeping the player centred definitely will remove the near-wall issues.

I guess in the free-movement version, some form of keeping the player from the wall could be implemented too?

I guess the cart version can have a better palette and fades?