News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

Zynaps title music on emulators.

Started by tastefulmrship, 14:44, 11 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 09:17, 13 November 11I've just noticed that you guys are famous game-crackers and demo-makers ; Well done again, guys!
Hehe. Thx. :)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SyX

Hi Mom!!! I'm famous!!! xDDDDD

Xyphoe

Fantastic work guys!!  :o I might pop a vid up about this later on  :)

One last last thing to do ...... can someone please please fix the AWFUL collision detection in this game??

:P :P :P

TFM

Quote from: Xyphoe on 03:52, 18 November 11
Fantastic work guys!!  :o I might pop a vid up about this later on  :)

One last last thing to do ...... can someone please please fix the AWFUL collision detection in this game??

:P :P :P

Your really put the finger in the wound, this was always the weak point of a great game.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

I have started to see if it was not a level or ship design problem, like 1 pixel for 1 char draw on each side, making the gap visually important and needing a graphics fix... But it's not that.

The collision appear when 1 empty char separate the ship from the map. It's a shame!
It's probably a "+1 -1" testing bug... Not too hard to solve for cpcwiki experts??  :P
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Xyphoe

Have put a video up showcasing all your hard work, sorry I missed this topic for so long - didn't realise how much had been done!

[AMSTRAD CPC] Zynaps - New Music & Title/Loading Screens (CPCWiki Version!)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Xyphoe on 12:48, 19 November 11
Have put a video up showcasing all your hard work, sorry I missed this topic for so long - didn't realise how much had been done!
Top stuff, sir! Well done!
HOWEVER... TotO's splash-screen is just one screen and not page-flipped; his talents didn't require any more than 16 colours to produce that stunning overscan screen!

EDIT: That looks like WinAPE you're using for the movies, which version are you running? And... JDR's track sounds very echo-y. Did you pass it through a post-production editor?

Xyphoe

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 13:47, 19 November 11
Top stuff, sir! Well done!
HOWEVER... TotO's splash-screen is just one screen and not page-flipped; his talents didn't require any more than 16 colours to produce that stunning overscan screen!

Ooooooops! Oh well, it makes him sound really clever  :P

Quote from: tastefulmrship
EDIT: That looks like WinAPE you're using for the movies, which version are you running? And... JDR's track sounds very echo-y. Did you pass it through a post-production editor?

Video - 2.0 Alpha 16 pre-release version Richard sent me, the actual final release I have problems recording video from strangely. Must get in touch with him about that.

Sound - 2.0 Alpha 16 actual release version - recorded purely the sound as a WAV which is much better quality, and re-dubbed it. Yes the sound is doubled up and panned, with one ever-ever-so slightly milliseconds out from each other (an old recording trick for doing vocals in my old band!) which gives a thicker warmer sound with a slight echo. Personally I think it sounds more like a real CPC and acoustics of the room/desk with the sound bouncing off things which is better for poor YouTube encoding and people listening through mobile devices, tinny crap PC speakers etc. I'll only do this on special releases, I did the same on the Edge Grinder video.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Xyphoe on 14:08, 19 November 11
Sound - 2.0 Alpha 16 actual release version - recorded purely the sound as a WAV which is much better quality, and re-dubbed it. Yes the sound is doubled up and panned, with one ever-ever-so slightly milliseconds out from each other (an old recording trick for doing vocals in my old band!) which gives a thicker warmer sound with a slight echo. Personally I think it sounds more like a real CPC and acoustics of the room/desk with the sound bouncing off things which is better for poor YouTube encoding and people listening through mobile devices, tinny crap PC speakers etc. I'll only do this on special releases, I did the same on the Edge Grinder video.
Wow! It sounds a lot like 2A18 rather than 2A16. The volume difference between &F and &E is quite noticable (especially in the Neil Grieve tune). Maybe the version you are using has log volumes instead of the linear volumes of pre-2A18 versions.

Now, if someone could remix JDR's classic as a rock tune and someone else fix the collision detection in-game then we'd be sorted!

Xyphoe

ARGH!

I meant Alpha 18 ... not 16 ... oops sorry! (for both vid and audio)

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 14:37, 19 November 11
Now, if someone could remix JDR's classic as a rock tune

I could do that! Being a rock guitarist with recording equipement  :P

Sorry, who's JDR? Which tune do you mean?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Xyphoe on 15:08, 19 November 11
Sorry, who's JDR? Which tune do you mean?
JDR is the God that is J. Dave Rogers, and the tune in question would be the nearly seven minute wonder that is the ZYNAPS title-tune! You can almost picture His Greatness in His studio with His guitar when He was programming it, head-banging away to distorted-amp'd riffs! (Same could be said of His NETHERWORLD music, which lends itself to the 'rock' genre just as well!)

Xyphoe

Ahh sorry! I forgot he was J. Dave Rogers!

I think this would take a long time to reproduce with guitars, drums and bass properly ... maybe you could set me a more simple challenge? :P

Funnily enough I found some old disks the other day, and I used to do a lot of music on the Amstrad and discovered that I used to do the opposite - convert rock songs into Amstrad tunes! With mixed results... (ie mostly crap!) - found half finished versions of Slayer - Angel Of Death, Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead, and bizarrely a couple of Status Quo ones  :o I did find completed versions of 3 songs from the Blues Brothers music sound track, and if I don't mind saying my version of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love sounds better than the version in the official game  :P

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Xyphoe on 16:34, 19 November 11
I think this would take a long time to reproduce with guitars, drums and bass properly ... maybe you could set me a more simple challenge? :P
Ok, how about GHOSTS 'N' GOBLINS (ingame) by David Whittaker? A heavy 'guitar riff' rock tune, based loosely on the original arcade music.

Quote from: Xyphoe on 16:34, 19 November 11
Funnily enough I found some old disks the other day, and I used to do a lot of music on the Amstrad and discovered that I used to do the opposite - convert rock songs into Amstrad tunes! With mixed results... (ie mostly crap!) - found half finished versions of Slayer - Angel Of Death, Iron Maiden - Be Quick Or Be Dead, and bizarrely a couple of Status Quo ones  :o I did find completed versions of 3 songs from the Blues Brothers music sound track, and if I don't mind saying my version of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love sounds better than the version in the official game  :P
Did you use a tracker for these or are they direct AY/PSG access? (either M/C or via 'SOUND' commands in BASIC)

I would suggest creating a thread and sharing these with the world! (With a cool scrolly and bouncy logo... mid 80s demo stylee!)
They demand it!!

Xyphoe

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 16:56, 19 November 11
Ok, how about GHOSTS 'N' GOBLINS (ingame) by David Whittaker? A heavy 'guitar riff' rock tune, based loosely on the original arcade music.

That's a good suggestion! If I find some time I might try that :D

Did you use a tracker for these or are they direct AY/PSG access? (either M/C or via 'SOUND' commands in BASIC)

Tracker, I had a couple I used back in the day - I think most were done in BooTracker that was given away on an Amstrad Action cassette. It was very simple but allowed me to get straight in and start doing stuff without having to figure out how to use the damn thing.

I want to start learning and using Starkos tracker now.

I would suggest creating a thread and sharing these with the world! (With a cool scrolly and bouncy logo... mid 80s demo stylee!)
They demand it!!

Yea I probably will, and embarrass myself! I just need to get an external 3.5" disk drive for both the CPC and PC first though so I can transfer these and dump them :(

Gryzor

Ooh! Netherworlds!! I can't remember the tune, but I remember it being very atmospheric...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:47, 26 November 11
Ooh! Netherworlds!! I can't remember the tune, but I remember it being very atmospheric...
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=1505

Click on the JavaAY Player for that 10-bar melody wonderful-ness!

Gryzor

I knew that casually asking here instead of googling it would be easier :D Thanks mate!

Indeed very atmospheric, as was the whole game. I really loved it back in the day, though it was pretty hard...

PS Strange, I can find no remixes in the usual places...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:34, 27 November 11
I knew that casually asking here instead of googling it would be easier :D Thanks mate!

Indeed very atmospheric, as was the whole game. I really loved it back in the day, though it was pretty hard...

PS Strange, I can find no remixes in the usual places...
No offence to Jori or MoN, but I always prefer JDRs tunes on CPC/ZX/ST than the C64/Amiga music.
Here's Netherworld on C64 (by Jori Olkkonen)... and it's just not as good, even though it's mainly digi-sounds (guitars sound too tinny). And Nigel Pritchard's Amiga version is also not as good!

Other notable Hewson differences between CPC/ST and C64/Amiga; Stormlord, Exolon, Zynaps (dur!), Flimbo's Quest... and... possibly more but my brain is not good today!

And yes, it's strange that neither RKO nor OC have any C64 remixes of NETHERWORLD... but even stranger (to me, anyway) is that AmigaRemix doesn't have any ASTAROTH or PREHISTORIC TALE remixes. Jochen Hippel's orchestrated masterpieces deserve to be brought into the new millenium!

TotO

No entry about Zynaps on CPCWiki... A shame.  :P

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 09:25, 07 December 11
No entry about Zynaps on CPCWiki... A shame.  :P

What's holding you back? ;)

TotO

Gryzor

Ah ok then, I'll wait for someone who's into Zynaps and has a few mins at their disposal to do it :)

tastefulmrship

@TotO

If you, or the page author, are going to add the updated Zynaps to the CPC-Wiki page, please include extended apologies to Neil Grieve, SyX & the whole Hewson Consultants team from me. I can supply the full documents if required.

rexbeng

Ok, this is so bring-topic-back-from-the-dead that I'm afraid I'm gonna get bitten or sth, but I had to get this out of my system  :P

For purely inspirational reasons I wanted to listen to Dave Rogers' title tune for Zynaps, so I fired up the CPCwiki version of the game and found myself staring at the new intro screen and listening to the added C64 tune for a while before following my initial intention.

(little break here, the D.R. theme is the most amazing and elevating chiptune ever made, fullstop)

So, back on topic which is the CPCwiki version of the game... Considering many people here do enjoy converting/touching/remaking/hacking images, music themes and intros from games, why not do the same thing for other CPC games that were not-as-rich-as-they-should-be in that area? Maybe Gryzor could fireup a special wiki page where all the stuff could be uploaded, with their revamped images as in a little special gallery? MacDeath, Tasty, Toto, STE and all the others, what say you?

(did I mention tat D.R.'s theme is VERY elevating? :P )

Ouch, keep away you cursed undead topic, you!

rb

Gryzor

I think this was mentioned in another context (the thread with some loading screen remakes). If there's interest then sure, nothing easier[nb]ok, I just scratched my ear and this was easier[/nb], though I'm not sure if the back and forth between the wiki and the forum (to discuss those pieces of art) is the best solution?