3D graphics - Short YouTube video from 2008 by Peter Wilson

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:48, 06 November 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

This looks good but how good is it?

My only frame of reference is Model Universe (from a long time ago) and not being be a programmer means I can't really assess this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAcpFGSFwts

Please pile in with your thoughts/opinions :D

Cheers,

Peter

llopis

I remember learning 3D computer graphics at the time. I managed to get some cubes on the screen moving around and the frame rate was about like that. Gives you a new appreciation for 3D games like Dark Side.

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 17:48, 06 November 18
This looks good but how good is it?

My only frame of reference is Model Universe (from a long time ago) and not being be a programmer means I can't really assess this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAcpFGSFwts

Please pile in with your thoughts/opinions :D

Cheers,

Peter

dionisisg

3d graphics have gone to another level by today's standards, but when it comes to 2d pixelated magic the g'olden machines are still better :P

AMSDOS

Conrad Bessant made a 3 part article called "Programming in Three Dimensions", which can be all found in CPC-Power, all the examples there are in BASIC. I typed in the 1st example (which is scattered through the article, ending at line 800 GOTO 500), to get the triangles drawing in on itself to produce a Pyramid. The mathematics are interesting, though the series is layout for someone starting out 3D Graphics.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Thanks Amsdos,

Interesting point in the the article about the hardware improvements on the Plus machines being of use in the creation of 3D graphics, pity we never saw them.

Cheers,

Peter

dionisisg

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 11:48, 07 November 18
Thanks Amsdos,

Interesting point in the the article about the hardware improvements on the Plus machines being of use in the creation of 3D graphics, pity we never saw them.

Cheers,

Peter

Think what our current machines can do and we'll never see it in action(at least not for now), imo one of the problems of the computing industry is that the hardware evolves faster than our understanding of how to use the capabilities of each particular machine/technology(by that i mean how to write proper software for each case), a great example are the demos running on stock retro computers like our beloved cpc's that we simply couldn't even imagine at the time but all this is maybe a subject for a different discussion.