News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464 Bench Test (Channel 4 - 1985)

Started by ComSoft6128, 08:15, 07 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Bryce

Oooo, an electronics expert... Oh wait, he doesn't know the difference between an Electrolytic capacitor and a Tantulum bead capacitor!  :picard:

Bryce.

Vyper68

OMG

God the 80's were really the land that fashion forgot - what on Earth is madam wearing, is it a jumper with braces or real braces? - I just need to add on in today's PC world i am not a sexist, i am commenting on the fashion not the person wearing said fashion garment.

And don't even get me started on what the men are wearing :doh:

I should add i was 16 and had no fashion sense either running round in jeans and a Gallini jumper and Reebok trainers.  :picard:
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

Dagger

Don't matter what people were wearing or hairstyles etc c the 80's were great times. Wish I could go back :)
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Shaun M. Neary

Some of the stuff I wore as a kid in the 80s make me cringe today.

Bad hair for a start. Proper bowl style hair, loud lemon coloured shirts with collars so big, I'd fly if I ran. Didn't get to wear runners regularly until I was nearly 13!

Thank Christ 1990 came along and so did rock and metal. The 80s may have been great for video games, but for fashion and being social, they can stay in the past!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Vyper68

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:24, 07 February 18
Some of the stuff I wore as a kid in the 80s make me cringe today.

Bad hair for a start. Proper bowl style hair, loud lemon coloured shirts with collars so big, I'd fly if I ran. Didn't get to wear runners regularly until I was nearly 13!

Thank Christ 1990 came along and so did rock and metal. The 80s may have been great for video games, but for fashion and being social, they can stay in the past!

There is a picture of me somewhere at me Granda's place where i am wearing a shirt similar to the one you describe and that ensemble was completed by a Tank-top and High-waisted Flare trousers but this was taken in the late 70's  :-[   

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vyper68 on 15:31, 07 February 18
There is a picture of me somewhere at me Granda's place where i am wearing a shirt similar to the one you describe and that ensemble was completed by a Tank-top and High-waisted Flare trousers but this was taken in the late 70's  :-[

Yeah, entrusting fashion sense to our parents who were still stuck in the previous generation probably wasn't wise. Like we had a choice in the matter...  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

ukmarkh

Did people wear Shell suits in the 80s or 90s, they were bad, everyone in Liverpool basically wore them for over a decade. I mean everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gryzor

What *are* Shell suits? Did Shell give them out with every 20 litres of fuel or something?

Vyper68

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:13, 11 February 18
What *are* Shell suits? Did Shell give them out with every 20 litres of fuel or something?
https://www.offerson.co.uk/sites/default/files/imagecache/comp_body_image/fashion_main.jpg

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ukmarkh on 12:16, 09 February 18
Did people wear Shell suits in the 80s or 90s, they were bad, everyone in Liverpool basically wore them for over a decade. I mean everyone

Both. They were popular in both the late 80s and the early 90s.
God awful coloured silky tracksuits. Proper scobe uniform.

Bryce

Quote from: ukmarkh on 12:16, 09 February 18

We called them "Shiny Tracksuits". They were popular around the 80's / 90's, but not by everyone. They were more associated with a particular class of society.

Bryce.

ukmarkh

Quote from: Bryce on 09:03, 12 February 18
We called them "Shiny Tracksuits". They were popular around the 80's / 90's, but not by everyone. They were more associated with a particular class of society.

Bryce.

In the UK, everyone had them, Celebs, politicians, the Queen [emoji23] and everyones Mum 🤪

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 09:03, 12 February 18

Bryce.

By the time REM had properly burst on to the scene, they were promptly renamed Shiny Happy Tracksuits. xD

Gryzor

Bryce

Tracksuits are the non-shiny version.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:32, 19 February 18

Really? I thought these were "tracksuits" :D

You're not wrong, they are a type of tracksuit, these awful looking things came into fashion in the late 80s and lasted to early-mid 90s. Some variants can still be seen today. But they're generally worn by gangs o :laugh: [size=78%]f scummers who in turn are laughed at by the rest of the public for wearing his and his matching tracksuits. [/size]

Skunkfish

I believe shell suits should have a crinkly polyester outer layer, whereas tracksuits are more fabric-y (not a real word).

I remember as teenagers we had a bonfire night camping party (as dangerous an event as it sounds) where a friends shellsuit came close to spontaneously combusting from sitting too close to the fire. Carrying on this form, he proceeded to heat a large steel rod in the fire, went to pretend to throw it in a javelin-esque fashion, only to drop it due to the heat where it proceeded to slice through a friends tent, which only managed not to burst into its flames due to its (thankfully) flame-retardant fabric. Luckily no one was inside at the time...

Good times (?).
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 10:47, 19 February 18
Tracksuits are the non-shiny version.

Bryce.

I did know you have some technical know-how about electronics, but your in-depth expertise about fashion astounds me.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:05, 21 February 18

I did know you have some technical know-how about electronics, but your in-depth expertise about fashion astounds me.

Only because the static discharge from shiny tracksuits is enough to destroy most CMOS electronics components :)

Bryce.

Gryzor