News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Cleaning floppy disks

Started by Dr Tiger Ninestein, 13:25, 24 August 15

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcaio

good idea. I will try to do this

angelcaio

Finally I have scanned the labels and made a small
"forgery" (including the license slip) using a previous copy of the discs.[emoji6]

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Gryzor

Isopropanol on a floppy surface?! That's a first, and hopefully the last... you probably got confused because they use it to clean drive heads. Ouch!

angelcaio

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:56, 08 November 18
Isopropanol on a floppy surface?! That's a first, and hopefully the last... you probably got confused because they use it to clean drive heads. Ouch!

I found this page:
    https://www.applefritter.com/node/21938

In Reply to # 7 say:

"... When you remove the jacket from the side of the cloth, you carefully add some Isopropyl alcohol to the corner of the cloth and gently wipe the surface of the disk from the center to the outside of the disk. When done, carefully put the disk back into the jacket and copy / image the disk immediately. "

maybe I should have contrasted this ... :picard:

Gryzor

I think I've read that advice before indeed, but it applies only as a desperate measure to recover something from a disk which is not going to be used after retrieval. To be honest, I don't know if it even makes a difference - I'd think that just wiping the surface clean would do as well as using isopropanol.

[ot]my dad used to work in pharmaceuticals and when, one day, I asked him to bring me some to clean my 464's tape head he brought me a nice big brown glass-made 3L jug of the stuff :D Of course I never used more than 50ml in total, so the rest went down the drain or something. But the jug was so practical that he brought a few more (empty ones) home and they still serve the family, 30 years on, as olive oil containers :D[/ot]