News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Early 464 Review by David Tebbutt

Started by ComSoft6128, 13:49, 05 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

I do have a QL (used for a grand of two times, I think). I like it very much, but of course bugs blahblahblah.

What's interesting is that Sinclair tried to kickstart a business-oriented erm, business capitalising on their name only, without taking a look at what was coming from others. It didn't look outdated, it *was*, hopelessly so. It made no real business sense even if it was correctly built etc. In this case, Sinclair just didn't see far enough.

Vyper68

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:02, 25 February 18
I do have a QL (used for a grand of two times, I think). I like it very much, but of course bugs blahblahblah.

What's interesting is that Sinclair tried to kickstart a business-oriented erm, business capitalising on their name only, without taking a look at what was coming from others. It didn't look outdated, it *was*, hopelessly so. It made no real business sense even if it was correctly built etc. In this case, Sinclair just didn't see far enough.

I know i had a choice of a QL or a Atari 520STF at the time and i went with the Atari and i never regretted it for a minute. I know the Amiga was a better machine and i did have an A1200 in the end but that was when the ST was coming to an end.
How anyone thought this was the future given how IBM was creating a standard "PC" - It does look like it came from the mind of a mad scientist.

MerlinTonto.jpg
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

ComSoft6128

Vyper68

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:45, 26 February 18
Is that the OPD?

Yeah - QL Clone - Notice the microdrives have moved to the top at the back. I can't remember if it had a modem or that was just a telephone. I don't know if BT used many of them, if they did their IT Department needed their head looked at. :)
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

||C|-|E||

Funnily enough "Tonto" in Spanish means "Dumb"  :laugh:

ComSoft6128

Another view of the CPC from 85:

Matt Nicholson, Editor of What Micro?

'When we first looked at the Amstrad we thought immediately that it looked amazing value for money. It's a sort of hi-fi rack system for computers - you've got everything there. You can take it home, put on a plug, plug it in and you've got a computer system. Whereas if you've got a Spectrum or a 64 you've got to worry about cassette players and TVs and power supplies. When we did a feature comparing the Amstrad 464 with the MSX computers, the Enterprise and the Memotech MTX we concluded that the Amstrad was the best all round value. In fact we're constantly recommending it. It's the only home computer I'd totally recommend as being certain to be around in a year's time. I think it could replace the Commodore 64. We'd only recommend the Commodore to somebody if they only wanted a computer for games. If they also want to do other things on it, then the Amstrad's a much better buy. The Basic is very good - it's the only home machine to have got anywhere near the BBC for speed. It's also got good graphics, so there's no reason why you shouldn't get really good games developed for it. It's an excellent all round machine."

Bryce

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:00, 01 March 18
Another view of the CPC from 85.

Matt Nicholson, Editor of What Micro?

'When we first looked at the Amstrad we thought immediately that it looked amazing value for money. Ifs a sort of hi-fi rack system for computers - you've got everything there. You can take it home, put on a plug, plug it in and you've got a computer system. Whereas if you've got a Spectrum or a 64 you've got to worry about cassette players and TVs and power supplies. When we did a feature comparing the Amstrad 464 with the MSX computers, the Enterprise and the Memotech MTX we concluded that the Amstrad was the best all round value. In fact we're constantly recommending it. It's the only home computer I'd totally recommend as being certain to be around in a year's time. I think it could replace the Commodore 64. We'd only recommend the Commodore to somebody if they only wanted a computer for games. If they also want to do other things on it, then the Amstrad's a much better buy. The Basic is very good - it's the only home machine to have got anywhere near the BBC for speed. It's also got good graphics, so there's no reason why you shouldn't get really good games developed for it. It's an excellent all round machine."

"It's the only home computer I'd totally recommend as being certain to be around in..." 2018  :D

Bryce.