News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 Computing

Started by Zoe Robinson, 00:07, 21 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Hi everyone!

I recently (as in a couple of hours ago) learned of the existence of a cassette magazine from 1984 called CPC 464 Computing but I can't find a lot out about it. There were at least 20 editions, each published on cassette from what I can see, and all produced by Argus Press. That's pretty much the sum total of my knowledge about it but I'd like to find out more, so I was wondering if any of you know anything about this tape magazine?

In particular, does anyone know which month it launched, and whether it remained monthly as it claims it is or whether the schedule slipped.

AMSDOS

There's a Tape of it on CPC-Power Zoe.

EDIT: To reply to the others from above, I downloaded both Face A & B of the CDT from CPC-Power and was loading without issue using Winape 2.0 Alpha 18. I unsure when this came out in 1984, though it has an announcement about Hisoft being in the final stages of releasing their Pascal, which has a Date stamped on it of "26/9/84" for that version. Though unfortunately, I'm unsure when its release date was.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Oh, such a nice find!!! Downloading it now :)

Gryzor

Hmmm the tape ends but nothing has loaded... can someone else try the archive?

Dagger

Still have a few

Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

00WReX

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:54, 21 April 18
Hmmm the tape ends but nothing has loaded... can someone else try the archive?

I just tried both sides of the tape (separate downloads) using WinCPC and they worked fine.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Gryzor

Hm. Tried with WinAPE, will try WinCPC as well.

@Dagger : oh man! Please dump them! :)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 00:07, 21 April 18
Hi everyone!

I recently (as in a couple of hours ago) learned of the existence of a cassette magazine from 1984 called CPC 464 Computing but I can't find a lot out about it.

IIRC it's where that lovely Paratrooper game (the first game I ever played on our 6128) came from. So I assume the guy who gave us the games must have been buying it.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

I managed to load it with WinCPC.

...what an awful production :D I didn't reach the games part, but articles in mode 1 being shown in typewriter mode, text only, and with surprisingly long loading times I guess it was only worth it for the games...

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: DaggerStill have a few

Do you mind if I use those pictures in the next episode of CPCine (with a credit of course)?

Dagger

No problem, Help yourself :)

Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

Zoe Robinson

Thanks. Much appreciated. :)

ComSoft6128

Can anyone put this on 3" or 3.5" disc for me?
I will send a disc and SAE.

Cheers,

Peter

Zoe Robinson

Once my work stops being so hectic, I'm planning on trying to convert all the issues from .CDT to .DSK format and making them available that way.

Zoe Robinson

The magazine now has a small entry on the CPC Wiki. http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Cpc_464_computing

Zoe Robinson

Issue 1 is now available from the Wiki in .DSK format. Enjoy. :)

Just as a quick point: you'll want to run "Title.bas" first if you want to see the first part of the magazine but if you want to skip the atrociously slow text crawl and actually read the magazine, you'll want to skip to "intro.bas". ;)

Also yes, I'm aware that the magazine won't auto-load each section as you read the end; it'll stop with a "Bad Command" line. That's because I haven't had time to find where the original coders simply typed a RUN"" command for the tape to progress!

Zoe Robinson

Issue 2 is available on the Wiki but it really doesn't seem to like being on disk, so not all of it works.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 22:34, 05 May 18
Issue 2 is available on the Wiki but it really doesn't seem to like being on disk, so not all of it works.

Sounds like it's being loaded over the top of the Operating System, unfortunately a common occurrence with those early programs.   :(

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Yes, I think that's what going on. The moment the MCPRINT program (the second on the cassette) is run, you can no longer access the |DISK command.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 09:40, 09 May 18
Yes, I think that's what going on. The moment the MCPRINT program (the second on the cassette) is run, you can no longer access the |DISK command.

Yes, the MCPRINT program is the culprit. It has a start address at &A000 and is &900 bytes in Length. All the other programs appear to be fine for disk. I could take a look at the program and see if it can be relocated, though it probably wouldn't be until the weekend.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

If you could, that would be brilliant. No rush though, it's not the most important software in the world!  :laugh:

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 16:20, 09 May 18
If you could, that would be brilliant. No rush though, it's not the most important software in the world!  :laugh:

Ok, well I've adjusted the MCPRINT program, most of it was made up of Text, so it was a small bit of code at the beginning of the file, which I think it just used to print the text that needed adjusting. I loaded the code to &9000 and adjusted all the &A0 bytes to &90, problem solved. Too easy.  :)

I had to add the previous INTRO.BAS file which handles the MCPRINT routine too, though I've only made it to work in with the MCPRINT program (changing MEMORY, load at &9000 and call &A000), but didn't amend line 80 which has a RUN'" in it to include the filename for the following program.

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Brilliant! Thank you! :D