News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by MickGyver, 10:06, 26 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

MickGyver

Hi everybody!

I'm Mikael from Finland. I'm quite unfamiliar with the Amstrad range of computers, I'm more of a Commodore fanboy myself but "open" to all retro formats.  I'm looking into the possibility of bringing my Amiga CD32 gamepad to the Amstrad CPC.  :)

robcfg

Hi Mikael, welcome to the CPCWiki!

I think most of us fancy many old computers, not only the CPC and the usual my-computer-is-better-than-yours wars are to be taken as humorous.

You'll see that people here is very friendly, so don't be afraid to ask anything.

Cheers,
Rob

mr_lou

Welcome!

Lots of buttons on that gamepad of yours. As far as I know, the CPC joystick input only offers 2 buttons apart from the 4 directions.

But I've always wondered if more buttons could be created by adding some pins. Like e.g. UP + DOWN = button 3 and LEFT + RIGHT = button 4. And UP + DOWN + LEFT + RIGHT = button 5....
This would of course mean that these buttons should preferably only be used for things like pausing a game or popping up a menu of some sorts.

MickGyver

Quote from: robcfg on 11:12, 26 April 18Hi Mikael, welcome to the CPCWiki!
Quote from: mr_lou on 11:32, 26 April 18
Welcome!

Thanks!

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:32, 26 April 18Lots of buttons on that gamepad of yours. As far as I know, the CPC joystick input only offers 2 buttons apart from the 4 directions.But I've always wondered if more buttons could be created by adding some pins. Like e.g. UP + DOWN = button 3 and LEFT + RIGHT = button 4. And UP + DOWN + LEFT + RIGHT = button 5....This would of course mean that these buttons should preferably only be used for things like pausing a game or popping up a menu of some sorts.

Yep, it has a few buttons, but functions can be remapped, meaning you could for example remap up on the DPAD to a button for easier jumping. You could also set up turbo-fire for a button to the left or right triggers etc.

mr_lou

Quote from: MickGyver on 12:00, 26 April 18Yep, it has a few buttons, but functions can be remapped, meaning you could for example remap up on the DPAD to a button for easier jumping. You could also set up turbo-fire for a button to the left or right triggers etc.

Ah! That does indeed sound very useful.
Using a dpad sucks when you gotta use UP to jump!

MacDeath

Greetings.

We amstradists don't like the likes of you.
You dare connect an Amiga stuff on our beloved CPC tech-god ?

/joke.

Does you "amiga" pad use the Atari standard ?
d9 ?

if so, you may have a 1 button pad, perhaps even compatible with the second button somewhere.

Best way may be to have a converter to handle all the buttons but such hardare is too rare.

The CPC mono-joy port can handle 2 joysticks/controler provided you have both of them (standard Atari D9) and a Y-cable doubler.

So if you re-cable your paddle you may have a theorical 4 direction + 4 diretion + 2 fire buttons config.

Yet most games and existing programs/softs only handle for single joy + keyboard.
if your paddle whithstands the Atari d9 standards, some directiosn and one or even two buttons may fit, just test if you can.

(I really shouldn't post while drunked...)

post Edit :
the CPC's standards DB9 joystick ports are not "powered", you can plug anything on them and have no risk compaired to some other "Atari standard compliant" machines...
Just try if you have all the hardwares under hands...

On the other hand it doesn't allow for autofires and at best you'll have games allowing 2x joys with on button each and some "keyboard clashes" because sir sugar was scroodge o the componenets...
Or some historical games would even aknowledge and use a "second button" for the only one joystik plugged.
"Atari standard" was a bit vague beyound the first button... most sega pads (8bit and 16bit) allow proper CPC use. CPC somewhat allocate one fire button fpor each joystick connected.

if you have a PLUS and the db15 analog port, it is another thing (it has a +5v somewhere) so don't try it without some thinking.

keith56

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the gamepad... I'm a fan of the gamepads these days, and can't get on so well with the clunky CPC sticks, so I wish you luck.

It's worth noting that while the CPC plus can only support 2 fire buttons, the 464/6128 have an 'undocumented' 3rd fire button... it would be great if you supported it - as my game can use it, if nothing else!!!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!