News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Kitsune Mifune, 16:05, 18 April 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune Mifune

Hi folks, new guy here so hello! :)

I'm a long time retro gamer who is just getting into the coding side of things at the ripe old age of 41. I had a Speccy in the 80s then upgraded to a wonderful Amstrad 6128 in 198....something. I loved that machine, and loading from disc was absolute witchery after being used to tape games.

I've been farting around in Game Maker on the PC for the last few years, but I took it apon myself to try and learn Z80 assembly language this week. Being someone who has dyscalculia it's been really tough to try and warp my head around all these numbers, registers, and memory address names as well as trying to make sense of manuals and textbooks due to being a kinesthetic learner. I'll probably be asking a LOT of questions on the programming forum so bear with me, becasue I do read the manuals, but sometimes my brain can't make sense of them unless it's explained in a certain way.

I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to make a simple game of some sort. Right now I'd be happy to just know how to display a sprite on the screen haha!

I'm using Winape and it's quite a nice environment so here's hoping for the future.

Cheers all! :)
Unlocking the dark arts of assembly!

ComSoft6128

VincentGR

DanyPPC

You're welcome !
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

keith56

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your programming adventures!

I learned Assembly a couple of years ago, and my maths is terrible (I got an E at A-Level!), but what I lack in skill I make up in perseverance!

I wonder, are you following my tutorials on youtube? I don't recognize your username, but your comments remind me of someone I was chatting to?

Anyway, however you're learning, Welcome, and good luck with the tutorials!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Kitsune Mifune

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

keith56, I'm not sure as I've been following a few tutorials so there's a good chance I've seen yours but I don't recognise your username either. I've not been chatting to anyone though as I'm not quite confident enough to do much past lurking right now but it's good to know that people doing the tutorials are on here. I'm looking forward to getting involved with the community but apologies in advance for being a pest with questions as this is my first foray in to any sort of low level programming.

XeNoMoRPH

Hi !! , Welcome!  :)
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

keith56

If you don't recognize my avatar icon, then I guess you're not following my tutorials!... mine are the 'ChibiAkumas' ones on Youtube (links in my signature)

It was just because someone who was very enthusiastic about CPC ASM commented about learning ASM in their 40's on my youtube channel I made the incorrect assumption...

Anyway, there's lots of very skilled and knowledgeable ASM coders on here (far more-so than I am), and a lot of us have learned from scratch and have more modest skills, so don't hesitate to ask any question, whether simple or advanced, and I'm sure someone will answer!

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Kitsune Mifune

Thank you very much keith65. There are probably a few forty-somethings who are hitting a mid life crisis and wanting to fulfil an ambition to learn programming. An old friend of mine took up making demos for the Commodore 64 a few years ago much to the anger of his wife. It's cheaper than a motorbike I suppose.  ;)

ervin

Quote from: Kitsune Mifune on 09:22, 19 April 19
Thank you very much keith65. There are probably a few forty-somethings who are hitting a mid life crisis and wanting to fulfil an ambition to learn programming. An old friend of mine took up making demos for the Commodore 64 a few years ago much to the anger of his wife. It's cheaper than a motorbike I suppose.  ;)

LOL yes I think I fall into that category!