News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Hello I am new here

Started by cpm-user0, 20:51, 09 October 19

Previous topic - Next topic

cpm-user0

Hello everyone.

I own an Amstrad CPC 6128. It's packaged in a closet at my parents' house. I used it the 80's to play some games, and to do some BASIC programming. I haven't used since about 1995, I think.

I recently have got an interest in CP/M, and I am thinking about resurrecting my CPC 6128, and attaching to it a 3'5" standard floppy drive, and running  CP/M and the vast library of CP/M programs that can nowadays be found in the Internet. Are vanilla CP/M programs readily compatible with a CPC 6128 ?

I hope I learn a lot from the experts in this forum!

AMSDOS

Think it's a question of where you're getting the CP/M Programmes from. If it's from an Amstrad CPC repository like CPC-POWER or a PD Library like WACCI which again there is stuff on CPC-POWER, a lot of those CP/M Programmes have been subjected to display themselves correctly for CPC. I think there's some other places where CP/M Software can be found, the Robot PD catalogue have DSK images on David Cantrell's Mirror Site in the robot-pd section.

But you will want to run all that on a Real CPC and all my suggestions have been Disk Images for Emulators (DSK), there are tools for extracting the files from DSK images, but don't know what to suggest as I think there are some more Real CPCs and well as PC tools.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

cpm-user0

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:57, 10 October 19
Think it's a question of where you're getting the CP/M Programmes from.
I don't know where I shall get the CP/M programs from. I guess I'll fetch them from whenever they may be accessible for me.  ;D  I'm not ruling out any source for them.

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:57, 10 October 19But you will want to run all that on a Real CPC and all my suggestions have been Disk Images for Emulators (DSK)
My primary interest, as things are right now, is the CP/M ecosystem. And given I happen to own an Amstrad CPC 6128, I want to see if that is a tool fit for that purpose. I don't mind testing things in CPC emulators, to speed up the testing process -- but my ultimate goal is to have a hardware based, real-to-the-bone, physical CP/M system at my command.

TotO

Welcome!

If you can't find a program, it should be fine to ask cpm-user229 !  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

norecess464

Quote from: TotO on 08:01, 11 October 19
If you can't find a program, it should be fine to ask cpm-user229 !  ;D
Worst joke ever. But I like it lollll  ;D :D
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

cpm-user0

I am already moderately familiar with CP/M, although I haven't used it for about 20 years.

So I am reading this nice PDF titled "Introduction to CP/M" by John R Hudson, which is also focused on the Amstrad CPC family: https://johnrhudson.me.uk/cpm/Introduction_to_CPM.pdf

AMSDOS

Quote from: cpm-user0 on 00:34, 11 October 19
I don't know where I shall get the CP/M programs from. I guess I'll fetch them from whenever they may be accessible for me.  ;D  I'm not ruling out any source for them.

I stress out about obtaining CP/M programmes from CPC based sites, because they have been adjusted to work on CPC systems. A generic CP/M Repoistory on the other hand may have code which contains code the CPC may not understand because it has different Terminal Emulation. If a CP/M based Programming Language was available for the CPC and there were things like Games written in it, I think they stand a good chance of working, as is the Source Code of a programme written in a Language available for CPC and avoid them if only a .COM file exists because it could be for any number of the other 49 CP/M Systems out there!  :o

QuoteMy primary interest, as things are right now, is the CP/M ecosystem. And given I happen to own an Amstrad CPC 6128, I want to see if that is a tool fit for that purpose. I don't mind testing things in CPC emulators, to speed up the testing process -- but my ultimate goal is to have a hardware based, real-to-the-bone, physical CP/M system at my command.

I think there are CPC programmes which can handle the DSK file, so getting those to your 3.5" Disk Drive and extracting to Disc itself shouldn't be a problem, I used to use something called CPCFS to extract Files from DSK images, but Emulators like Winape can also Extract Files from DSK images too, I'm not sure what's available for Mac or Linux though.  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3