News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

How to play my game

Started by Bast1981, 20:25, 30 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Bast1981

Hi,

I just boughta game on ebay because it looked cool. It's a friday the 13th game on tape for the amstrad computer.

Here's the tape in question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Friday-The-13th-Jason-Voorhees-Computer-Game-/142354967834?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=J1dHcW8pIWgdN6KOh2iZ81lb41o%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I did not know amstrad computer before buying this game. Is it mostly an european computer format ? All the computer i find on ebay are from France,Spain, United Kingdom. Those computer would not worth in North America.

keith56

Welcome!
Yes, I think you could say it was mostly a European computer. If you really want to buy a computer just to play that game, then you would probably be looking at a 464

As the US is 110v, and UK is 240 it would be a pain to get the monitor working - its also heavy so shipping costs would be high

BUT... you can just get the main keyboard unit, plug it into a 5V power supply, and use a scart lead with a regular TV, and the CPC will work just fine!
I use many CPCs in Japan in this way with a 3A 5V power adaptor and it works just fine!

If it's really only one game you're interested, I'd probably fire it up on the WINAPE emulator first though! I've never played that game, so I don't know, but you may find the game is not not worth the effort!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Shaun M. Neary

Welcome aboard.

Yeah, i'd echo what Keith said here. Fire it up on Winape if you're on a Windows Machine.
Friday The 13th, I regret to inform you is not the Amstrad's finest hour. I certainly wouldn't spend cash on the machine to play it on unless you're planning on amassing a collection in the future. It was one of the machines earlier releases before programmers really knew how to get the best out of the Amstrad, which left with a rather dull and uninspiring game.

I'm not sure Amstrad Action even reviewed it, although I remember them mentioning it in a movie tie-in feature in 1990 where they commented along the lines of "Gruesome, and for all the wrong reasons".
It had a nice loading screen... and that's about it!  ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dragon

The amstrad computers range are designed in u.k, and later exported to France,Spain,germany(under Schneider mame). And australy(under aiwa mame).

In the middle of that. The spanish importer indescomp try to export It to the eeuu under the name of solavox. But It sold very few, because at time the tecnology is very outdated to eeuu standars.

Probably you have buy one of the few games arrived to eeuu. Or from  collector that import It.

You can Play the tape in a cpc 464 64k ram+ cassette or in a cpc 6128  3 inch disk(3,5 dd  compatible), 128k and with external tape support using a datacassette.

But you need import It from europe. Is near impossible you can find one in eeuu.

Bast1981

Thanks for the replies.

Honestly i don't play video games very much. I do play some games on my cell phone like bowling to pass the time. I woul rather listen to music or watch tv most of the time than play a video game hours on end. Got many hobbies like community theather,learning an instrument.

Anyway maybe my game is playable on my commodore 64. On the tape inlay they give instruction on how to load the tape on a commodore computer. It's worth a try i guess.

I'm better off trying to locate a commodore 64 version of this game. Reading about the game online it seems that the nintendo one is not so bad after all.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bast1981 on 22:21, 12 May 17
Thanks for the replies.

Honestly i don't play video games very much. I do play some games on my cell phone like bowling to pass the time. I woul rather listen to music or watch tv most of the time than play a video game hours on end. Got many hobbies like community theather,learning an instrument.

Anyway maybe my game is playable on my commodore 64. On the tape inlay they give instruction on how to load the tape on a commodore computer. It's worth a try i guess.

I'm better off trying to locate a commodore 64 version of this game. Reading about the game online it seems that the nintendo one is not so bad after all.
Hi and welcome.

No you can't play an Amstrad game on the C64. It is the same that a PS4 game can't be run on a Xbox one.

It was common at that time for the instructions to give loading instructions for all the computers it was released on but it doesn't mean the cassette will run on all of them.

You will need the c64 version.

It should be easy to find a c64 version :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource