News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Just saying HI!

Started by kartmanz, 22:42, 11 July 17

Previous topic - Next topic

kartmanz

After reading and using cpcwiki for some time now, I thought I should finally register and try to become part of this amazing community as Ive been a massive Amstrad CPC fan for a long time! (In fact, ever since having to sell my original hardware for newer kit to complete my homework!)

Some of the things I would like to succeed in being part of this community is to find copies of Bonzo's scrapyard zines, build myself a Megaflash board (as I think this is one of the most genius things Ive seen in a while! Kudos to Bryce), and also buy myself a M4 board! as I think its yet another awesome thing to behold!
I would also like to give something back to the community so I'm looking at writing a utility disc that can test CPC hardware and help with disc alignment and possibly tape alignment. I agree this is a bit of a long shot as I'm not very well versed in CPC assembly yet but I have some books (bought from a member of this forum who said I should definitely register) and I have programming knowledge and some assembly knowledge of the x86 architecture.
Well, that's about it, hopefully I can put something back to this wonderful forum when I have a little more time, as Ive only just purchased another CPC 6128 and am only just adding the extras I want (3.5 inch drive, roms etc.), but when I have everything properly setup I will hopefully be giving something back!
Thanks for having me!

keith56

Welcome to the forum!

It certainly sounds like you have some plans! I wish you good luck with your hardware and software development! Please let us know how you get on!

I taught myself Z80 assembly, but I've never done x86 - I'm pretty sure it will not pose you a problem learning z80!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

||C|-|E||

Hello and welcome! Great plans, those of yours!  :D

Zoe Robinson

Hello and welcome.

I have no idea what Bonzo's Scrapyard is but if you find copies, please do share them if you can. :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 02:18, 12 July 17
Hello and welcome.

I have no idea what Bonzo's Scrapyard is but if you find copies, please do share them if you can. :)

Let me fill you in here a bit, Zoe.
Basically Bonzo's Scrapyard was a semi-regular produced fanzine by Nemesis. The same guys who wrote the Bonzo tape to disk transfer utilities. It mostly provided updates for those who struggled to transfer specific games or newer loaders, etc. I think they started doing the zines around 1990, but I'm open to correction there.

Used to have a good chunk of handy information on their transfer tools, which were quite useful if you wanted to transfer tape to disk while keeping the loading screens, etc or had more than one machine as Multifaced games were locked down unless the device was connected.

I busted many tapes to disk using the Bonzo utilities, the only major limit was multi load games, but I don't think there was any way around that unless you knew your way around with code.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

kartmanz

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Im not a guru with assembly, its been a long time since Ive done any and I was only ever an amateur but I know the basics and want to learn so Im happy to give it a go!

Id love to find the Bonzo scrapyard stuff as I used to look forward to reading them when I was younger, so fingers crossed I find some! I will be adding them to the wiki if I do, for all to enjoy!!

VincentGR

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: kartmanz on 12:50, 12 July 17
Thanks for the warm welcome.
Im not a guru with assembly, its been a long time since Ive done any and I was only ever an amateur but I know the basics and want to learn so Im happy to give it a go!

Id love to find the Bonzo scrapyard stuff as I used to look forward to reading them when I was younger, so fingers crossed I find some! I will be adding them to the wiki if I do, for all to enjoy!!

Forgive me, and welcome. Forgot to mention that in my previous post on this subject.

@arnoldemu - Didn't you contact the guy who wrote all those scrapyards and he gave permission to publish some 15 years back? Were you ever able to source any of them? Or am I going back to far? xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 13:39, 12 July 17
Forgive me, and welcome. Forgot to mention that in my previous post on this subject.

@arnoldemu - Didn't you contact the guy who wrote all those scrapyards and he gave permission to publish some 15 years back? Were you ever able to source any of them? Or am I going back to far? xD
Yes I got permission but I never found any of them.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:40, 12 July 17
Yes I got permission but I never found any of them.

Awww shame... would have liked to have gone through some of them as well. :(

kartmanz

Awesome, you had permission from him? I don't suppose he had any around did he?
Ive been looking for some for a while but never found any. I'm guessing that being a zine that they were just thrown away over the years!
No worries Shaun, its just nice to chat with folk that have the same interests!

I will keep looking for more Bonzo's scrapyard but I don't hold out much hope unfortunately.

pelrun

I've got a thick binder full of Bonzo newsletters in storage, I'll pull them out and feed them into the document scanner when I get a chance.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: pelrun on 15:57, 12 July 17
I've got a thick binder full of Bonzo newsletters in storage, I'll pull them out and feed them into the document scanner when I get a chance.

Aw yes!! Very much appreciated 😃😃

arnoldemu

Quote from: kartmanz on 15:14, 12 July 17
Awesome, you had permission from him?
yes.

Quote from: kartmanz on 15:14, 12 July 17
I don't suppose he had any around did he?
no.
My games. My Games

Shaun M. Neary

Man of few words is our Kev! 😂😂

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:17, 13 July 17
Man of few words is our Kev! 😂😂
Hehe hehe.

Unfortunately the IP holder of BBC frak has the same approach particularly the latter one. 🙁

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

kartmanz

Quote from: pelrun on 15:57, 12 July 17
That would be awesome if you could!! Thanks!

I dont mind people of few words, sometimes we are a busy bunch! As long as people are polite then Im good!

pelrun

Things are scanned and uploaded! It turns out it's not Bonzo's Scrapyard, however - it's Bonzo News, the newsletter Colin from Nemesis wrote for several years before Scrapyard took over. I've got issues 8-25, and a summary version of issues 1-7.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Bonzo_News

arnoldemu

Quote from: pelrun on 15:19, 16 July 17
Things are scanned and uploaded! It turns out it's not Bonzo's Scrapyard, however - it's Bonzo News, the newsletter Colin from Nemesis wrote for several years before Scrapyard took over. I've got issues 8-25, and a summary version of issues 1-7.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Bonzo_News
Thank you for saving them and scanning them :)

EDIT: After reading them it took me back to my teens. Ahh, good memories. :)
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

My games. My Games

pelrun

Unfortunately only the covers, though.  :(

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: pelrun on 19:53, 16 July 17
Unfortunately only the covers, though.  :(

I thought it was just me being dim and not understanding how to download or open past the first page...

kartmanz

@Pelrun You are amazing!! Thankyou!
I've downloaded them and very greatful for your time! I have started reading them and as soon as I saw the style of the writing it sent me back to the past!!
I will really enjoy reading them, Thankyou again mate!!
Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:12, 16 July 17
Wiki has some Scrapyard already.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Bonzo%27s_Scrapyard

:)

I wish they weren't just the covers mate, but thanks for letting me know anyway!

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife