News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

KailoKyra, new member from France

Started by kailokyra, 19:30, 17 July 18

Previous topic - Next topic

kailokyra

Hello !

I'm KailoKyra, from France :) .
I've been lurking for quite a while, mostly by stumbling accross the forum while searching for various things.

I bought two CPCs (a 464 and a 6128) and a consequent box of stuff (games, manuals, floppies...) around 2005 in flea market for peanuts.
I was in sixth grade at the time, and instantly enjoyed that computer, especially the 464. Being used to "modern" hardware (My first machines being a Mac Color Classic and a 486 later, followed by a PII), it had something mystic. Loading and saving stuff from tapes, typing programs and seeing the thing come alive :) .

I fiddled a lot with it, typed listings found on the internet, made some small BASIC programs, and took a liking to programming thanks to it.
I went on to other adventures on more modern hardware after (Darkbasic, C...), but still kept testing stuff downloaded on the internet, followed tutorials on phenixinformatique and so on.....
I managed to get hold of other computers from that era, before and after, but the CPC have a special place in my heart. :D

I especially appreciate all of the conservation and classification efforts that are made by the community for this computer. As well as all the new softs, and hardware... It's great. :)

I went to the Revision 2018 to discover how was a demoparty, where I was kindly introduced to some people here, and also went to the Reset #30 (Where I also enjoyed meeting new people again in a more relaxed environnement !  ;D )

I will probably not post a lot, but will definitely read !

robcfg

That´s a great story!

And don't worry. Sooner as you imagine, you'll be posting quite often here to share more nice stories, ask questions about your machines and hanging out with the nice people from the forum.

Bienvenue!

Targhan

Ah, le voila, le scanner fou :). Bienvenue !
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

keith56

Quote from: kailokyra on 19:30, 17 July 18
I bought two CPCs (a 464 and a 6128) and a consequent box of stuff (games, manuals, floppies...) around 2005 in flea market for peanuts.
I was in sixth grade at the time, and instantly enjoyed that computer, especially the 464. Being used to "modern" hardware (My first machines being a Mac Color Classic and a 486 later, followed by a PII), it had something mystic. Loading and saving stuff from tapes, typing programs and seeing the thing come alive :) .

Sounds like you bought at a great time! you say you bought it in '6th grade'... so I take it you're quite a bit younger then most of us oldies who 'grew up' with the system? It's interesting to hear comments from newcomers who've come across the amstrad (and other retro systems) later, as I can't help wondering how 8 bit will fare in the future, I wonder if people who grew up with an Iphone will be drawn to the 'roots' of computing, or if it'll be too primitive for them to bother with.

I hope you find lots of interesting stuff on these forums, and continue to enjoy the Amstrad... and the other classic 8 bits!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

mr_lou

Welcome!  :)
Good of you to join and share your story. It's rather cool that you've gained an interest in the Amstrad CPC despite never growing up with it. Most of us here are hooked because of the nostalgia. We'll never be cured.  ;)

Kris

Great to see you here: be welcome   ;)

CPC_Fan

Gryzor

Welcome - indeed, like Keith said, it's very interesting to hear from persons who did not grow up with this generation of machines!

kailokyra

Thank you everyone :) !
Quote from: keith56 on 00:17, 18 July 18
you say you bought it in '6th grade'... so I take it you're quite a bit younger then most of us oldies who 'grew up' with the system? [...]

I wonder if people who grew up with an Iphone will be drawn to the 'roots' of computing, or if it'll be too primitive for them to bother with.

I suppose  :)

I was already familiar with DOS and win3.1, as it was what equiped the family computer until we bought a more modern system in 1999. I inherited the previous one when we upgraded !
So even if it's "recent", it's not as recent as the current modern iphones and such. I think there will still be some younger people interested by the historical or technical side of things, or just as a fun challenge especially on some "legendary" plateforms like the Gameboy and the like (for old computers, it might have less following) :)

I used to use a Mac Color Classic at the primary school's computer "club" (other machines were equipped with win3.1 and win95 until much later, even in the 2000s....).
The concept of an "older" system was not alien, as my father used to tell me about the Oric Atmos and the whole "loading things from tapes" :) . That's how I ended up buying the CPC at that flea market, at first because it intrigued me, to show that to him and try that by myself as well.. I didn't even know what I was looking at, but I do remember noticing the weird tape of Manic Miner at the top of the box, and I was puzzled ;D .

I think that the fact that the CPC is easy to use, with pretty good and clean "high res" graphics that don't make you go blind, so many ressources for it on the internet, and compared to other computers that I tried, the interpreter / Locomotive basic is just a level above in terms of ergonomy and appeal. It would be a perfect machine to introduce a younger fellow to computers of that generation !

Quote from: Targhan on 22:07, 17 July 18Ah, le voila, le scanner fou :) . Bienvenue !
J'ai encore une pile a scanner, a son rythme cette fois ;D

Gryzor

Quote from: kailokyra on 14:09, 19 July 18
as my father used to tell me about the Oric Atmos and the whole "loading things from tapes" :) .

Ahhh that old "in my days" story... Didn't think it would work on anyone! :D