News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My few words

Started by teopl, 09:32, 17 February 19

Previous topic - Next topic

teopl

Hello everyone!

First I wanted to express my gratitude to this wonderful community, but I didn't want to be off-topic so I will use this thread instead  :D

So, thank you all!
I just joined, but I already see that this is great place with great people.

So, here are my few words:

I am in my late 30s, from Belgrade (Serbia), working as a mobile software developer.
I have had several computers in the past, but from 8bit I used C64 and CPC464 (although C64 had colors and CPC was green, I always loved CPC more :) )

Then many years later, I found out Ronaldo's cpctelera :) I mean, when I saw it (I think on http://www.indieretronews.com ) , that triggered the (old) idea to try to make something (again) for my old CPC.
When I was a kid, I played with LOCOMOTIVE BASIC, even made some small games but now I can do much more so I decided to give it a try.

Then, I experimented with cpctelera, it was really painful to adjust to all the limitations (compared to modern stuff) but also that was (and still is) a rewarding process.
I struggled with all (I guess standard) issues like non const not being initialized, not understanding the memory, limited resources, ... Did I mention it was painful? :D
I quickly decided that I really need some debug so I made "on screen" printing framework just to see what the hell is happening...
Since that was not very useful in practice (due to massive slow down when printing to screen), for some moths I gave up and decided to pause a bit...

Then came along Arnaud's wincpctelera and when I managed to make it work in Visual Studio 2017 it was a second great trigger.
So I started again and this time I bought a real fully working CPC 464 with green monitor (I was a Deja Vu - my hands just reached to the connectors, volume and power switch - they remembered!)

Meanwhile I found Duke's M4 board which I bought and use with joy! Upload software, go on the internet, ... Really amazing!

So there is no excuse now - I started work on my first game with my brother who is an gfx artist and a hobby musician.

Until next post!

mr_lou

Awesome! Welcome to the forum.  :)

Great to see more fellow musicians here.
Do you have any links to any of your music anywhere? (Doesn't have to be CPC).

teopl

Hi Mr Lou,

Thanks!

In fact, my brother is a hobby musician, but he didn't use trackers for a long time - it was Impulse Tracker back then...
He is just a bass player now, now and then...
Now I am trying to make him learn Arkos2 and make me a great song :)

I will ask him if he has something (else) online.

mr_lou

Quote from: teopl on 09:58, 17 February 19In fact, my brother is a hobby musician, but he didn't use trackers for a long time - it was Impulse Tracker back then...
He is just a bass player now, now and then...
Now I am trying to make him learn Arkos2 and make me a great song :)

I will ask him if he has something (else) online.

Ah, I see I misread. Thought you were the musician. Still interested in hearing some of of your brother's tracks though.

Good luck on your game project!

If your brother is too busy, I'm sure you'll be able to find graphics artists and musicians here on the forum. Though I'm personally too booked myself, I know many other musicians and artists have helped out with many other projects in the past.

keith56

Welcome to the forums!
Good to hear you're having fun with the CPC once again... and you're working on a new programming project - I look forward to seeing more!

I wonder, are you planning to design something for the greenscreen? there have been a few demos designed exclusively for greenscreen machines!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

VincentGR

Welcome my friend, have fun.

teopl

Quote from: keith56 on 11:10, 17 February 19
Welcome to the forums!
Good to hear you're having fun with the CPC once again... and you're working on a new programming project - I look forward to seeing more!

I wonder, are you planning to design something for the greenscreen? there have been a few demos designed exclusively for greenscreen machines!

Thanks!

Yes, it is fun... I will post here of course when I have something to show, for now I am still experimenting and trying a simple game engine for my game.
First step is to make a remake of my old puzzle game because I am still learning so I wouldn't bother with something more demanding...
(I will attach a video of one previous version of game I made for school project to get the idea)

Then I plan to add and improve on it more and more.

Btw, I plan to make it look cute on both green screen and color, so we will choose palette carefully :)
Maybe even use all the "shades of green" on a color monitor too!

Gryzor

Welcome mate! Not too many neighbors from the Balkans in our community, have fun here!

GUNHED

Welcome - enjoy the world of CPC  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)