News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Computer Express

Started by ComSoft6128, 06:33, 07 August 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Worth checking out. Usually 1 or 2 pages per issue on the CPC:

https://archive.org/details/newcomputerexpress?sort=-downloads

AMSDOS

Unfortunately the discussion about New Computer Express has come up before in a thread that was dealing with several multi-platform magazines, which can be found here. There's also a page for New Computer Express on the CPCWIKI.

Because of it being a Future Publishing magazine, I'm unsure if it ever had any material which wasn't in AA, on the wiki there's an interesting letter talking about what Alan Sugar was up to, which was more on the Sinclair side of things, it's perhaps more of a magazine for someone who had several computer systems, unlike myself who only grew up with an Amstrad and collected AA purely for the Type-Ins (and purchase the odd game).  :D

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Thanks AMSDOS,

I wasn't aware of the thread from 2014, but did see that there was page in the wiki for NCE. That entry apparently doesn't have a link to the archive.org page on New Computer Express, can someone show me how to add this?
Or is there a process to follow for an administrator to update wiki pages?

Cheers,

Peter

AMSDOS

Link added to page.

Editing pages on the CPCWiki page requires a seperate registration, once completed it's possible to edit sections of a page or to Edit the full page.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Thanks Amsdos,

Would this be via Gryzor?

Duke

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 05:31, 09 August 18
Would this be via Gryzor?
Just go the http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Main_Page upper right corner "Create account".

scruss

Quote from: AMSDOS on 00:38, 09 August 18
Because of it being a Future Publishing magazine, I'm unsure if it ever had any material which wasn't in AA ...
It had more newsy items that never quite made it to the monthly AA.
It did warm my heart to open a random issue (no 127) and see former WACCI writer Keith Pomfret on the Tech Tips page. Though I never met Keith, he had two endearing traits on the phone:

• He'd almost always answer the phone with a cheery "Hiya name$, how's yer arse for spots?"
  • He could do an almost perfect answering machine impersonation, usually only spoiled by him starting giggling a few seconds into you leaving a message.
He did a far better job in that role than a previous incumbent who went by the nom de plume of Uncle TechTip. For petty reasons I can't recall, a bunch of us freelancers had a major hate-on for Uncle TT, so much so that we created the Uncle TechTip Simulator, regurgitated below for your edification:
10 CLS
15 PRINT " *** Uncle TechTip Simulator ***"
20 PRINT
25 INPUT "What is your question for Uncle TechTip";a$
30 PRINT
35 PRINT "Uncle TechTip's Answer: "
40 PRINT
45 PRINT "Hmm, I don't know anything about"
50 PRINT " ";a$;" ..."
55 PRINT "Maybe a reader can help?"

ChaRleyTroniC

I have a vague recollection that Uncle TechTip was Jerry Glenwright...

I used to love NCE, though. I remember turning up at NSS in Oakham every Thursday morning eagerly awaiting the new issue.