News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

RAM Disc and/or CP/M patch for Symbiface?

Started by HAL6128, 12:39, 18 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

HAL6128

Just a quick question: does anybody know if there's software for the BASIC/AMSDOS mode which provide a RAM Disc / pseudo Floppy and/or a patch which provides also a RAM Disc with CP/M. I want to use the extension RAM from the Symbiface. BOS 2.0 for the Vortex expansion card has this features. Does it work or another software or ROM?
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Bryce

How about the silicon disk software from DKTronics? Can't it do this?

Bryce.

HAL6128

Thanks Bryce, for your hint! :D

Dk'tronics Silicon Disc 2.12 ROM offers excatly the two out of five functions I was looking for: for AMSDOS/BASIC a RSX command for a 256k silicon disc and a CPM (EMS)patch for a 444k silicon disc after booting.
I've tested it quickly with an emulator (WinApe) and it works. I'm going to check if the real hardware / Symbiface RAM will be supported too.

Bryce

There were five? What are the other three? :D

I've only ever used the DK silicon commands in AMSDOS, but they were always very reliable and easy to use (until you moved the computer, the expansion wobbled and the CPC froze :( )

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 12:39, 18 July 13
Just a quick question: does anybody know if there's software for the BASIC/AMSDOS mode which provide a RAM Disc / pseudo Floppy and/or a patch which provides also a RAM Disc with CP/M. I want to use the extension RAM from the Symbiface. BOS 2.0 for the Vortex expansion card has this features. Does it work or another software or ROM?
Hi,
The very best solution is the RDOS ROM from Dobbertin. It provides a 444 KB RAM Disc for Basic (select with !C, instead of !A or !B). And it's full compatible with CP/M 2.2 and CP/M Plus. Also professional CP/M Software like Prowort / Protext is using it.
If you need CP/M DSKs with RAM drive Support let me know.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

HAL6128

@Bryce: I've realized five RSX command: |sdisc (which initialised the RAM Disc), |loaddisc (which copy a whole disc from a real medium to the virtual drive at once), |savedisc (...and back again), |c (changes to the virtual disc - ok, not realy a extension), |setcpm (creates a patch file for cpm 2.2) and |setcpmplus (creates a patch file for cpm plus).

I checked it on real hardware with a SFII connected. It (RAM Disc) works under BASIC/AMSDOS. But if I want to boot CPM plus then I get an (CP/M Boot??) error message "this program wont run under this enviroment". What does it mean? Is it because of the Symbiface or the installed ROM?

@TFM: I'm going to check RDOS on real Hardware tommorow. Have a go.

Bryce

Hmm, no idea. Have you changed ROM 7 to something other than AMSDOS?

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 18:29, 18 July 13
@TFM: I'm going to check RDOS on real Hardware tommorow. Have a go.

Jepp, do that, it works reliable and it is compatible.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

HAL6128

Ok, RDOS also works fine with a Symbiface connected. But I realized that I couldn't boot CP/M if the SymbOS ROMs are installed. If I park the first of the ROM pack of four CP/M will boot as usual and it works with RAM Disk Support as it should.
In an emulator enviroment that problem doesn't appear.

@TFM: Is there a manual for RDOS available?

TFM

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 21:15, 22 July 13
Ok, RDOS also works fine with a Symbiface connected. But I realized that I couldn't boot CP/M if the SymbOS ROMs are installed. If I park the first of the ROM pack of four CP/M will boot as usual and it works with RAM Disk Support as it should.
In an emulator enviroment that problem doesn't appear.
Obvious an emulator problem. Tell the coder ;-)

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 21:15, 22 July 13
@TFM: Is there a manual for RDOS available?
Let me look... Well, obviously the Wiki page lacks that:
RDOS - CPCWiki

Can't find one... but you can use the !HELP,nr command when having Maxam or X-DDOS installed. nr is the number of the position of the RDOS ROM.
RDOS should always be installed as last ROM, so use ROM numbers 1 or 2. Let say you have RDOS at ROM select 2, then !HELP,2 will give you a list of its commands.
The cool thing is you just have to type !C and all BASIC commands like LOAD, SAVE etc. will work. You can also use the !COPY command of X-DDOS 2.10 for copying files to and from RAM-disc under basic. Under CP/M it's like any other drive.
Here are some DSKs...
TFM of FutureSoft