News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

re:Introduction

Started by Chinnery, 11:26, 28 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinnery

Hi All,

Just a quick re: Introduction of myself. I'm a 40 something CPC fan, having started out in 1985 with a CPC464. It's 2017, and I've just got another 464 - The Arnold bug just will not go away!

I was in the retro computer scene 7 or so years back, and had managed to get a full collection of the Amstrad lineup, my favourite being the 6128+, however, its the lowly 464 where my heart lies - the V1 especially - the keyboard feels much nicer.

As I said, I have just got a "not tested" 464 from ebay. A bit of switch cleaner and solder around the power connector and it does seem to be alive. Poking wires in the monitor port does briefly give me a monochrome Amstrad start up screen, so I may be in luck. I've got a few bits heading my way to fully test it and get a nice colour picture.

If the wee beast is working great, I'm looking to get it upgraded with lots of modern gadgets. The tzxduino looks nice and cheap, the DDI3 looks a good modern replacement for the official DDI1. Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

I'm slightly annoyed I missed out on a recent memory upgrade board from here - but yes, an unofficial 64k upgrade is also on my want-list.

Well, I'll leave it at that for the time being.

mr_lou

Gryzor

Too late to say 'welcome'?

VincentGR

Same here, didn't noticed that  :picard:

Welcome  :-X

Vyper68

Welcome - I am a n00by here too but i am enjoying myself. :D
I have a DDI-3 and if you can get past the lack of any instructions or how to set it up it is a good modern replacement for kit that goes for silly money on eBay. For a 464 owner wanting to be able to load disk images it's a no-brainer @£55. The only bugbear is you have to convert .dsk images to .hfe but that is a minor niggle. You also get Parados as well so that is good and you can also run a second drive off the interface if you want a 3.5" Floppy drive for some of the modern software that has been released.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

remax

Quote from: VincentGR on 14:58, 14 January 18

Me too, i thought it was a "i forgot my password, but i need to post on this other computer" account from Chinnyvision  :D

Welcome !
Brain Radioactivity

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: remax on 22:02, 14 January 18

Me too, i thought it was a "i forgot my password, but i need to post on this other computer" account from Chinnyvision  :D

Welcome !

That's exactly what I had thought too.
Welcome aboard. Cool you've decided to stick around too, we've some pretty cool posters here.  :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Chinnery

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:27, 14 January 18
Too late to say 'welcome'?
No, never too late to be nice :)

Quote from: VincentGR on 14:58, 14 January 18
Welcome  :-X

And thank you. Nice to meet you, to meet you nice :)

Quote from: remax on 22:02, 14 January 18
Welcome !
I'm sorry about that. I've been using the alias Chinners for a while. I didn't know about ChinnyHill till after I'd rejoined.
:doh:

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 17:52, 15 January 18

That's exactly what I had thought too.
Welcome aboard. Cool you've decided to stick around too, we've some pretty cool posters here.  :)
Cheers Shaun.  :)

Quote from: Vyper68 on 16:02, 14 January 18
Welcome - I am a n00by here too but i am enjoying myself. :D
I have a DDI-3 and if you can get past the lack of any instructions or how to set it up it is a good modern replacement for kit that goes for silly money on eBay. For a 464 owner wanting to be able to load disk images it's a no-brainer @£55. The only bugbear is you have to convert .dsk images to .hfe but that is a minor niggle. You also get Parados as well so that is good and you can also run a second drive off the interface if you want a 3.5" Floppy drive for some of the modern software that has been released.
I'm thought I wasn't a n00b, until I started reading around here  :o
I've got a DDI 3 on order - waiting for delivery... I didn't find it an issue finding docs on the device... but I still find myself drawn to tape loaders. My original CPC was an 1983 (Z70100) model, with no sbiity to buy fancy pants discs back then. I feel lucky that I have managed to find and buy the same revision board... I do have an '84 version 464 here but it's in bits waiting some TLC to get it back to what it should be... or ripped apart for spares if I blow up my main machine.

I have also drunkenly bought a 6128 for no real reason other than it's easier with modern day expansions (Chaining a DDI3 with a megaflash and multiface2 seems a bit awkward at the moment).

I've been messing with a TZXDuino modified for CPC fun, and really should write a review (it ain't all positive unfortunately) I've just got firmware 1.9 but not tested it yet. I still find the hypnotic tones and flashing striped borders of old far too alluring than healthy for the average *cough cough splutter* year old. I am trying to build a nice collection of CDT's with the aim of creating the equivalent of a "GoodCPC" set, but it is taking a lot of time testing on emu and txzDuino. Ruddy Bleepload!!!!!!!****!*!*!*!

Vyper68

Quote from: Chinnery on 23:13, 16 January 18

I have also drunkenly bought a 6128 for no real reason other than it's easier with modern day expansions (Chaining a DDI3 with a megaflash and multiface2 seems a bit awkward at the moment).

I have a 6128 as well and i prefer that over a 464 i like that they are more smaller with a more compact keyboard and more easily expanded as well.

The DDI-3 is useful interface if you are staying with the 464 but it is a bit of a lump aesthetics wise.

ElderlyGoose

Hey there!

Long time CPC 6128 fan. Had a lovely colour monitor and tin of disks for years then back when I was a kid we invested in a tape and some cassette versions of Amstrad Action.

Then after uni found out my dad had donated our CPU, Monitor, Joysticks and legit games to charity.... Well I hope that lucky SOB that finds those gems enjoy! They were immaculate :(

Still a few years back I found a CPC with colour monitor going for a reasonable price on Ebay, the Copy button has it written on and the monitor has seen better days but hazza! My tin of what I now realise are copied games is now alive again!

Or not. The keyboard is a wreck, very rarely responding. I'll post a more detailed post about my gripes later but just thought I'd say hi! If you fancy seeing my site stuff it's linked in the profile :)

Kindest Regardulations,
Sam

Vyper68

Quote from: ElderlyGoose on 01:25, 22 October 74
Or not. The keyboard is a wreck, very rarely responding. I'll post a more detailed post about my gripes later but just thought I'd say hi! If you fancy seeing my site stuff it's linked in the profile :)

Kindest Regardulations,
Sam

Hi Goose

Welcome, i am new here too but the members are great.
I have a 464 i bought off eBay as well and the keyboard was a bit iffy. I ended up stripping the keyboard completly apart backplate off keyboard off. it's then you see how manky the membrane is. Cleaning all the muck off the membrane and all the dust and gunk from between the keys will do it the world of good. I have not seen a CPC membrane in the state i have found some ZX Spectrum membranes. The only new ones you can buy are for 664's for some reason i have not gone into.

Gryzor

Welcome Sam, looking forward to reading your progress :)