News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Should I buy a 664?

Started by ProfessorPike, 17:44, 19 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 15:09, 21 January 19
Unless you could do some really clever routing so that the one board would work in all CPC variants?
The 464 and 664 key layout look the same, but the connector is not... May be by using two flexible cables for each usage (connected on both side: mainboard PCB <-> new keyboard slim PCB).
I.E. something like that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-AWM-20624-80C-60V-VW-1-12-Pin-0-5-Pitch-FFC-Flexible-Flat-Cable-Lead-for-PCB/183268850528?epid=1984327407
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

00WReX

I appear to have been somewhat lucky (so far).
I have three 664's with original keyboard membranes and they all still work just fine.

I had the day off work today, and as I had not had the 664's out in a couple of years thought is was time to see how they were going.

The Schneider 664 was built in the 4th month of 1985, and the two Australian delivered (Awa) 664's were both made in the 5th month of 1985.

Wonder if they will get to 35 years next year, on the original membrane.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TotO

Quote from: 00WReX on 06:45, 22 January 19
I appear to have been somewhat lucky (so far).
I have three 664's with original keyboard membranes and they all still work just fine.
Congratulations! You are destroying all the statistics!  :o

Quote from: 00WReX on 06:45, 22 January 19I had the day off work today, and as I had not had the 664's out in a couple of years thought is was time to see how they were going.The Schneider 664 was built in the 4th month of 1985, and the two Australian delivered (Awa) 664's were both made in the 5th month of 1985.Wonder if they will get to 35 years next year, on the original membrane.
The two known mainboards use the same connector, so may be your computers was used with more care. About the 35th birthday... It should be OK now, while you do not unplug the membranes!  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

00WReX

:)   I'm very happy to spoil the statistics   :D

I have had the 664's since around 2002/2003, so around 10 years before RWAP reproduced them.

I was always tempted to grab one for a spare, but never got around to it.

I did have a scare with my Schneider 664 in 2011 (I think there is a post on the forum somewhere),
but I unplugged and re-plugged the membrane into the connector and it has been fine since.

Cheers,
Shane
EDIT:  Here is the post from 2011...
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/scare-with-my-schneider-664-today/
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Widukind

Yes.

TotO

The 664 is really massive (bigger than 464) and the keyboard layout is not as ergonomic as the 6128 into his "little" case.
But... The 664 overall design was really amazing and made me dream... Always today! (I have kept one but the membrane goes faulty). It was my first computer choice, but I have finally go for a 6128, because the size and embedded memory for the same price as a 664 + DK' expansion.