News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Standard Issue 'ello folks post

Started by Lozzo, 19:45, 30 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Lozzo

Evening all, and hello from South Wales.

I'll be honest, I've never been much of an Amstrad CPC fella, my only real exposure to them back in the day was writing a simple database in Mallard BASIC on a PCW and using a CPC colour monitor on my Amiga. I still have my Amigas, a couple of Acorns and assorted other odds & sods and, well, you know what happens where crusty old computers are concerned.. Those unaffordable machines that you used to look at, misty eyed, through the windows at Dixons become strangely alluring again. Yes. Even the Dragon 32...

So, here I am. On a bit of a lurk to be honest, to see what the scene is like, what the market is like for these (ignoring eB*y LOLprices of course) things and maybe a bit of buying, selling or swapsies along the way.

Ta!

VincentGR

keith56

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you find something that takes your interest! there's loads of indepth technical documentation on hardware and programming on the CPC wiki you may find interesting, and if you need help fixing or setting up hardware, there's lots of people that will help on this forum.

You probably know it already, but if you don't I'd suggest looking at Amibay as a place to look out for CPCs for sale

Hopefully you'll find something in the CPC community that'll you'll like!

Keith
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Shaun M. Neary

Oh... a nosey lurker... great!

Just kidding! Welcome aboard. While we're primary CPC based, keep yer eye on the other retro section.
Maybe pull an emulator down and check out some of the CPC versions of Amiga games you might be familiar with. We've a few youtubers here who compare different versions of games.

Stick around and join the discussions, you'll find it a lot more fun than just watching. We're not the worst bunch on the planet here. ;)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Lozzo

Heh. Cheers folks.

I've still got a PCW8512 with a load of gubbins up in the loft so I've still got a bit of an oar in with all things Amstrad but yeah, old computers of any sort is all good with me so any friendly community devoted to such is bound to be a good read.

Shaun M. Neary

NC100, 200 and PCW section is for you then, you'll feel right at home there. Not sure how active/busy it is mind, I'm a CPC guy. =)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

Hmm mm. If you want to get a cpc for a reasonable price... Forget a plus machine, they have rocketed in price that's to @gerald 😉

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:19, 04 May 17
Hmm mm. If you want to get a cpc for a reasonable price... Forget a plus machine, they have rocketed in price that's to @gerald 😉

As have the GX4000's as I'm seeing. I was that impressed with the C4CPC that I was considering finding one for the spare room!
But not at those fleecebay prices.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Yeah, get on the retro for sale Facebook groups and wait. Or car boot sales. Even gumtree has stupid prices these days.
Problem is that they only sold around 20,000 IIRC, and most of them will have been binned in the 90s.

CraigsBar

If a NOS Spanish one comes up on eBay for the fifty quid mark again grab it, they really are New Old Stock... Not the well used and reboxed shite that goes as NOS on other platforms.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode