Stupid question - is there an overwrite mode for Basic prompt?

Started by Bytebreaker, 23:51, 25 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Bytebreaker

Hello,

the Locomotive Basic environment is mature and professional compared to many other Basic-based operating systems of the 80's.
Still, I sometimes miss the primitive way you could just overwrite letters as you did all the time for example on C64.

Is there any hotkey combination to switch between insert and overwrite mode on CPC? 

CraigsBar

Yes and no.... On a cpc464 with basic 1.0 you have to use the edit the line with the edit command.....

Edit 10

Will show the current content of line 10 in over type or editing mode.

On a cpc6128 you can also type auto which will cycle through each line of the program in over type or editing mode moving onto the next line with each time enter is pressed.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

AMSDOS

I don't think there's an overwrite mode in BASIC, I guess if the Winape emulator is begin used, you could Read BASIC program into that and use the overwrite from the PC to do that.

@CraigsBar mentioned the use of AUTO in BASIC 1.1, though earlier I typed in a program called easy-edit by John Keneally which ironically only works for BASIC 1.0, you can find that program here.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

arnoldemu

Yes, press ctrl+tab to toggle it on or off.

EDIT: Before do "edit <line number>" to enter the editor though.

I'm not sure it works when entering lines.

EDIT: You can use ctrl+left, ctrl+right to go to start/end of edited line too.
EDIT: CTRL+CAPS LOCK toggles shift lock.

I have updated the wiki with the keys that can be used.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bytebreaker

Great thanks for the info.

Btw. I managed to realize a 3D scene on CPC in Loco Basic, I ported it to C64 V2 Basic where I had, besides many other obstacles, to Use a custom line drawing routine because there is no appropriate basic command  and now I am about to translate all this to 6502 assembler while trying to find out how much raster time it will take to draw 15 lines during one frame and how I will cope with the calculation. Since a scroller and a Sprite starfield (yes, the only single advantage the c64 has vs CPC) need to be processed as well and also irq based music, the vector part must be tight. The screen memory of the c64 is not suitable for vector graphics so There must be a very fast plot/line routine and pre calculated coordinate tables I guess.

That was completely off topic sorry for that but I enjoy my CPC as leading machine for drafting and prototyping in the best 8 bit basic dialect there is.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bytebreaker on 02:16, 28 March 17

Btw. I managed to realize a 3D scene on CPC in Loco Basic, I ported it to C64 V2 Basic where I had, besides many other obstacles, to Use a custom line drawing routine because there is no appropriate basic command  and now I am about to translate all this to 6502 assembler while trying to find out how much raster time it will take to draw 15 lines during one frame and how I will cope with the calculation. Since a scroller and a Sprite starfield (yes, the only single advantage the c64 has vs CPC) need to be processed as well and also irq based music, the vector part must be tight. The screen memory of the c64 is not suitable for vector graphics so There must be a very fast plot/line routine and pre calculated coordinate tables I guess.

That was completely off topic sorry for that but I enjoy my CPC as leading machine for drafting and prototyping in the best 8 bit basic dialect there is.

You might want to take a look at the 3D Space Chase I typed in on CPC-Power:
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=9397

I typed it in a couple of years ago, so it's not as fresh now as when I typed it in. The Screenshots on CPC-Power don't really show the Space Crafts, but it rotates the INK palette to simulate the movement of Stars, which is the best approach in BASIC.

The other game I typed in from the Late AA Basically BASIC simulates a simple 3D style game you can find that here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/interesting-type-ins/msg128843/#msg128843
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bytebreaker

@ amsdos

Great stuff thanks for sharing.  :D
I will not publish yet anything here. When the c64 Intro is finished I will link it here and also post the Loco Basic prototype of the 3d scene.

freemac

You can also enter :
List 10
and use SHIFT+ARROWS, and COPY key :)