News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Interview with Dave Rogers

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 06:20, 24 April 24

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

QuoteHello, family. I have had the opportunity to speak with Dave Rogers, who has made it clear to me that his heart is 100% cepecero. I hope you like what good old Dave has seen fit to tell us.

[ Spanish & English ] -- Author: @Dubliner

https://www.retromaniacmagazine.com/2024/04/fue-una-epoca-muy-interesante-para.html
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Herman

Thanks for the reference to this exciting interview with CPC game programmer and musician David "Cybernoid Nebulus" Rogers from April 1, 2024 . I simply have to quote a few highlights:

Question: After some work for the ZX81 you upgraded to the ZX Spectrum, but you barely produced programs for that machine, jumping in 1985 to the Amstrad CPC. What are the reasons behind that? Why did you choose the Amstrad CPC instead of any of the other machines in the market?

Rogers: The C64 just looked dull, with washed-out graphics, and a horrible case.
The Spectrum didn't appeal to me because of its rubbery keyboard and "blocky" colour attribute system. But I did eventually grow to like it, and I still do.
The Amstrad had a beautiful colour palette, a nice keyboard, and the best version of Basic.

Question: How were your first experiences with the Amstrad CPC? What did you find attractive in the machine and what didn't you like at all?

Rogers: I liked everything about it, except for the small speaker. I could have connected bigger speakers, but I didn't, because I wanted to optimize the music for the built in speaker, which is what most people would hear it through. I tried to use frequencies and envelopes that would help overcome its limitations.

[...] Question: You worked almost exclusively for the Amstrad CPC and the ZX Spectrum. What did you find so attractive in the AY Chip? Were you never tempted to try the C64´s SID?

Rogers: Yes, I was very much aware at the time that the C64 had more powerful sound. The SID chip wasn't just slightly more powerful than the AY, it was MUCH more powerful.
However, I was more interested in the structure of the music than the sound of the chip. So I was quite happy to carry on with the AY.
I have to say that the sound of the SID chip, to my ears, is sometimes irritating and fatiguing, with all those fizzy FM-like harmonics.

[...] Question: How important were machines like the Amstrad CPC for your career? Does the CPC still have a place in your heart?

Rogers: Absolutely! I have very fond memories of those years. It was a very interesting era to be involved in. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Question: Are you aware of the actual retro revival? aren't you tempted to compose a melody for a new game for the Amstrad CPC?

Answer: Yes, it's wonderful to see so much interest in the old computers. I think those years will always be regarded as a unique period in the history of computers and games. [...]

asertus

Quote from: Herman on 07:44, 24 April 24[...] Question: You worked almost exclusively for the Amstrad CPC and the ZX Spectrum. What did you find so attractive in the AY Chip? Were you never tempted to try the C64´s SID?
Rogers: Yes, I was very much aware at the time that the C64 had more powerful sound. The SID chip wasn't just slightly more powerful than the AY, it was MUCH more powerful.
However, I was more interested in the structure of the music than the sound of the chip. So I was quite happy to carry on with the AY.
I have to say that the sound of the SID chip, to my ears, is sometimes irritating and fatiguing, with all those fizzy FM-like harmonics.

It is important he says he focused on Amstrad's speaker and how the sound was in that speaker:

QuoteI liked everything about it, except for the small speaker. I could have connected bigger speakers, but I didn't, because I wanted to optimize the music for the built in speaker, which is what most people would hear it through. I tried to use frequencies and envelopes that would help overcome it's limitations. 

Anthony Flack

While most people remember his music, for me it will always be The Scout Steps Out and especially Radzone. I love that game.