News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The Covenant - Sprites

Started by invent, 09:03, 07 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

invent

One of my fav Amstrad games is "The Covenant", while it's not possible to finish the game.  I did export out all the sprites for it if your ever interested. Posted on my blog here:

https://amstrad-pixels.blogspot.com/

It's very tempting to build more maps now that i have these :)
Hope you all are well.

Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

ervin

Despite the simple use of colour (or maybe because of it?), I've always found the covenant to be a very attractive game.

Arnaud

Really nice, i always like to see full sprite sheet of cpc games.

invent

Thanks Ervin and Arnaud.  This particular game I too like the simple use of colour although I might see what it would look like with Amstrads 16 colours sometime (create a mockup concept). 3 frame animations work well i think for this sort of game and interesting enemies.

Do wish oneday someone would modify the game tiles at end so the game was completable if it was ever possible.

Targhan

QuoteDo wish oneday someone would modify the game tiles at end so the game was completable if it was ever possible.

It seems some pokes are available on CPC-Power to correct the bug. No one did a re-packaging of the whole thing?
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

invent

Thanks Targhan,  those pokes on CPC-Power http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=plan&num=621 . I'm just not sure how to use them? I see them on the map but a re-package would be awesome if its easy for/experts/coders

mr.freeze

Thanks! I think it's the second game I owned on the CPC after Harrier Attack. Good memories.
Is it not possible to finish the game because of a bug? I never finished any on the CPC anyway :-p

tjohnson

I really enjoyed this game, we had it on a compliation disk with some other games, I never did finish it, maybe because of the bug I don't remember.  I thought someone released a fixed version.  Wasn't the bug due to the conversion from spectrum and different resolution causing a blockage in a passage or something?

invent

Hi tjohnson, yes the conversion from spectrum caused the bugs where the tiles would block some areas, seen in these images http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=621
Couldnt see a fixed version to download but does have some pokes listed

Nich

Quote from: invent on 23:35, 08 May 19
Hi tjohnson, yes the conversion from spectrum caused the bugs where the tiles would block some areas, seen in these images http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&onglet=dumps&num=621
Couldnt see a fixed version to download but does have some pokes listed

@hERMOL over at CPCRulez has just uploaded a new crack of The Covenant with the bugs fixed (although I haven't tested the game myself to prove this!). :)

hERMOL

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 20:09, 15 May 19
@hERMOL over at CPCRulez has just uploaded a new crack of The Covenant with the bugs fixed (although I haven't tested the game myself to prove this!). :)

Unfortunately I've noticed another bug in this crack; the sound effect that occurs whenever you lose energy keeps repeating forever and never stops. I've already uploaded this crack to NVG and I only noticed it after I uploaded it. :(

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 16:53, 18 May 19
Unfortunately I've noticed another bug in this crack; the sound effect that occurs whenever you lose energy keeps repeating forever and never stops. I've already uploaded this crack to NVG and I only noticed it after I uploaded it. :(

The new version has now been uploaded to both CPCRulez and NVG. :)

ukmarkh

Hi,

Are we saying that the Covenant has been fixed and can now be completed?

This was one of my favourite games on the Speccy, but we knew back in the day that the Amstrad version was kyboshed so never bothered with it. A friend at our school had tried to complete it and showed us that it's impossible.

Thx 

invent

Thought I would this morning have a quick look at adding more colour to the Amstrad version rather than just porting.

ervin

Quote from: invent on 23:22, 21 May 19
Thought I would this morning have a quick look at adding more colour to the Amstrad version rather than just porting.

Very nice!
Is it possible to patch new graphics in?

invent

Hi ervin,

If it's possible, I'd seriously consider enhancing all the graphics :) (even though im doing a million projects right now lol)

Latest things was doing a 3D colour cycle experiment proof of concept.

WiltshireWizard

Loved The Covenant. I had the copy that came free with Amstrad Action (issue 8 May 1986)and played it for hours, completely unaware that it couldn't actually be completed. Maybe thats why PSS allowed it to be a cassette cover freebie!

Nich

Quote from: WiltshireWizard on 08:53, 22 May 19
Loved The Covenant. I had the copy that came free with Amstrad Action (issue 8 May 1986)and played it for hours, completely unaware that it couldn't actually be completed. Maybe thats why PSS allowed it to be a cassette cover freebie!

The version of The Covenant on the Amstrad Action covertape was modified so that it could be completed.

Nich

Quote from: ukmarkh on 22:16, 21 May 19
Are we saying that the Covenant has been fixed and can now be completed?

Yes! The entry for The Covenant on CPC-POWER documents the five screens where the scenery prevents the player from reaching objects or exits. The new crack modifies these screens so that it is now possible to reach them. :)

ukmarkh

Quote from: Nich on 20:42, 22 May 19
Yes! The entry for The Covenant on CPC-POWER documents the five screens where the scenery prevents the player from reaching objects or exits. The new crack modifies these screens so that it is now possible to reach them. :)

Is there a disk version, can only see tape in English?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjohnson

I remember having it on a beau jolly complain disk along with killer gorilla and a defender clone.  Have a look for that on cpc power

WiltshireWizard

Oh yeah

ukmarkh

That Defenders game was okay, but another game came out, Guardians or Guardians 2, something like that, almost arcade perfect clone of Defender [emoji1303]

I think someone mentioned earlier that the Covenant suffered with the same issues on these compilations. But no worries, I've just realised after going through my 'AA' stash, that I have this on cover tape from 'AA' and there's the option to transfer to disk [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BZHGames

I loved this game "The Covenant" when I was a kid, I thought I was the only one.  ::)
It happens to me to play again.
Online games : Tetris, Connect4, Reversi, Marvel Memory, Laby and Amstrad games
https://bzhgames.xyz/