Amstrad CPC 464 (not plus) - Datacorder plays/rw/fwd fine but games not loading

Started by swainey83, 17:21, 18 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

swainey83

Hi all,

So here is my second post to this forum!

I recently obtained a CPC 464 which in general I'm very happy with. Cosmetically it looks in great condition for it's age and all keys seem to work well. The faults I've observed so far are:

- Datacorder plays tapes fine (i.e. ctrl+enter>press play on tape deck and then any key) - The mechanism seems good (though perhaps a tiny bit noisy) but I get no audible sound from the datacorder and nothing happens. I know the tape is good as I've tried it with my 6128 via an external tape player and that's fine
- The del del del beep test on boot up revealed very quiet beeps and that the volume control on the side seems to have very little effect on the volume.

I lifted the lid and had a look at the PCB behind the datacorder (see attached photos). I can see what I think are maybe some dodgy tracks/dry joints which I'm wondering whether they could be the cause?

I'd be grateful for any input from those more in the know than I could give or any pointers on where to look/what to try to get the issue resolved. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos and the one with me getting my fat shadow in the way. If needed I can try and obtain some better ones. I'll also 'fess up and say that my electronics knowledge and soldering expertise is pretty low so forgive me if I ask silly questions.

Cheers

Swainey

Chinnery

Hello again!
Yes there certainly is at least one iffy looking connection at c318, however the discoloration above and around c315 looks more worrying... I would suspect a visual inspection of the other side of board is needed to see if there are any blown components.

Bryce

C318 = Dry joint. C315 (most likely your problem) has leaked its electrolyte and needs to be changed.

Bryce.

swainey83

Thanks for the input guys. It's much appreciated. I'll look to disassemble again over the weekend time permitting and inspect the other side of the PCB. Presumably any replacement components needed are easily sourced or is it worth obtaining the parts from another 464 tape deck?

Cheers

Swainey

Bryce

swainey83

Hi guys,

So I had the 464 apart again today and managed to get to the other side of the datacorder PCB. Looks like you guys were right, I think a capacitor has blown. I've attached a photo if someone is able to confirm.

Its a shame as otherwise the machine seems in really good shape. Given I have no real electronics experience and have barely picked up a soldering iron, would anyone be able to recommend someone who might be willing to repair this for me for a reasonable fee that they'd recommend?

Many thanks and have a great weekend!

Swainey

tjohnson

Where are you? that is all very simple, if you've never picked up a soldering iron maybe good time to try.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

swainey83

Hi tjohnson,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on Banbury, Oxfordshire. The more I look at this and think about it, the more I'm inclined to give it a go.

I'll report back once I've had a chance to do this. Thanks for all replies and advice so far!

Swainey