News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 connected to TV - black screen

Started by Libluini, 11:47, 17 March 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Libluini

Hello, I'm new here and I registered because I recently bought a Schneider/Amstrad CPC 464. My short nostalgia trip already got stuck, though: I got the computer to switch on, the tape drive thing works and it reacted appropriately to keyword-commands (all dry-tested without monitor). Then I connected the CPC to my LCD-TV using a weird SCART-RGB cable I got from E-Bay and the problems started rolling in: Audio connection works, but the screen stays black. As in, my TV tells me it receives a signal, but there's nothing to see. Also, after a couple seconds with black screen, the CPC starts beeping incessantly.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? (The beeping could come from a malfunctioning key, I think. It stops when I press Escape on the computer. Hard to tell what is happening without seeing anything, though. I also looked up the original manual, but there's nothing about beeping in it.)

Before I try again with another CPC 464, I'd like to know if I'm just missing something really obvious. Do I need a SCART-RGB converter in addition to the SCART-RGB cable?

robcfg

Welcome to the forum!

Most probably, your TV isn't switching to RGB mode. Than can be fixed adding some voltage to a certain pin, or if your tv's on screen display allows it, force it to switch to RGB input.

Regarding the beeping, it can be that the keyboard needs some cleaning.

Good luck with your CPC, you're going to enjoy it a lot!

mr_lou

The beeping is probably a stuck key.
I bet it won't beep if you start by pressing some random key. (That'll halt whatever key that is stuck - unless you're (un)lucky to his that exact key).

blackdalek

If there is a key stuck (and therefore we can assume continuously outputting a character to the screen until the line buffer is full), wouldn't that mean that typing the commands to make the tape start up would be getting muddled by unwanted characters and resulting in syntax errors or unknown commands instead of the expected tape drive starting?
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

mr_lou

Quote from: blackdalek on 14:46, 17 March 18
If there is a key stuck (and therefore we can assume continuously outputting a character to the screen until the line buffer is full), wouldn't that mean that typing the commands to make the tape start up would be getting muddled by unwanted characters and resulting in syntax errors or unknown commands instead of the expected tape drive starting?

Say key A is stuck. So it's continuesly typing AAAAAAA.
As soon as you hit something else, like CTRL+RUN then it'll do AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARUN"
Syntax error.
But the A outputs will stop now. So you're free to type commands hereafter.

blackdalek

OK. I've never had a stuck key so wasn't sure if it would keep outputting characters after another key was pressed ;)
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

Libluini

Thanks for the answers! After looking at my TV a bit closer, it turns out my cheap knock-off Chinese model (complete with typos in the UI) doesn't actually have an RGB-mode! Looks like I have to go back to eBay and get me a cheap, old TV or something.

Too bad, but at least Nether Earth came today (according to Wikipedia, one of the first RTS ever made and it's on CPC 464). I guess I have to wait a bit to play it now, though.

mr_lou

Is it really necessary to find one on eBay?

Here in Denmark, it's very easy to find an old CRT TV in recycle stores.

Libluini

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:13, 17 March 18
Is it really necessary to find one on eBay?

Here in Denmark, it's very easy to find an old CRT TV in recycle stores.

Well, I wanted to use an LCD-TV, easier on the eyes and all that. But apparently, not all modern LCD-TVs are the same, and some (like mine) can't read RGB-signals via SCART anymore. So I'm kind of torn, I really wanted to use a modern TV, but I'm not really keen on randomly buying TVs and trying them out until I get one which still accepts RGB.

After looking up some other websites, I've also found the suggestion to use a RGB-monitor instead of a TV. Apparently a lot of older hardware can get a better pictures on those than with modern HD-screens. I'll probably think this through over the next week and decide what to do then.

mr_lou

The thing about modern TV's is that they run 60hz default, and the CPC outputs 50hz (roughly).
So when you watch stuff like scrolltexts or characters move on the screen, it won't look as great as on a CRT TV.

It is for this reason that many people use an XRGB Mini Framemeister to get a 50hz image. Scart alone can't do it - unless it's a CRT TV.

And yes, you must remember that the computers were made for CRT displays back then. When using a modern TV, things such as dither won't work as great as on a CRT TV.

My recommendation is to buy a used CRT TV in a recycle store. Cheapest and best. Only go for a modern TV if you absolutely don't have the space for a CRT.

Libluini

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:39, 17 March 18
The thing about modern TV's is that they run 60hz default, and the CPC outputs 50hz (roughly).
So when you watch stuff like scrolltexts or characters move on the screen, it won't look as great as on a CRT TV.

It is for this reason that many people use an XRGB Mini Framemeister to get a 50hz image. Scart alone can't do it - unless it's a CRT TV.

And yes, you must remember that the computers were made for CRT displays back then. When using a modern TV, things such as dither won't work as great as on a CRT TV.

My recommendation is to buy a used CRT TV in a recycle store. Cheapest and best. Only go for a modern TV if you absolutely don't have the space for a CRT.

OK! I know a couple of stores like that around my city. Next Saturday I'll start looking around! (I'd go earlier, but those stores all close up long before I can get home from work during the week, ha ha)

Bryce

Hi and welcome Lubluini,
           what inputs does the TV offer other than SCART?

Bryce.

Libluini

Quote from: Bryce on 09:34, 19 March 18
Hi and welcome Lubluini,
           what inputs does the TV offer other than SCART?

Bryce.

HDMI, AVI, USB, VGA, Komponent, SCART, ATV and DTV are the listed input sources. (And sorry about the long silence, was kept busy at work.)

Bryce

The only ones that are easily usable (without spending big money) would be AV or VGA. VGA would give a much better picture than AV.

Bryce.

Libluini

Quote from: Bryce on 11:21, 24 March 18
The only ones that are easily usable (without spending big money) would be AV or VGA. VGA would give a much better picture than AV.

Bryce.

Any idea how I can get a CPC/VGA-adapter cable? Ebay only sells those Scart--things. Mind you, I'm probably not capable of making my own without setting my apartment on fire, so take this into account.

Bryce

Libluini

Thanks for the help guys! I couldn't find anything around town, turns out. But I did get an original green monitor from eBay! The CPC works now.

Newest problem: The "="-key doesn't work. Seems that's the key which caused the beeping earlier. I can make it stop pretty easily, but then the key just doesn't work at all!

Kind of frustrating. I'm 99% there and know it looks like I need another Schneider CPC 464.

Bryce

You probably just need to clean the membrane. Buying another 464 just because of a stuck key is a bit drastic! Or do you buy a new car every time the ashtray is full?

Bryce.

tjohnson

Quote from: Bryce on 10:56, 05 April 18
You probably just need to clean the membrane. Buying another 464 just because of a stuck key is a bit drastic! Or do you buy a new car every time the ashtray is full?

Bryce.
I do, since i don't smoke it isn't very often :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk