News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 Sound issues

Started by VincentGR, 01:06, 09 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

VincentGR

Two years ago, I bought a real CPC bargain.
A 6128, CTM, GT monitors plus a TV Tuner for 10 euro.
After the usual switch repair, I brought it to Digital Universe for public display.
Games were running fine, drive and tape input too.
Joystick and sound also work great. But after a while I've noticed that some games had white noise instead of sound.
I saw that 128K games did that (is relentless 128k too?)

So I thought it was the page ram. Multimeter gave me 5V to all ICs and none of them was hot.
I ran 6-7 ram tests from disk but not any rom based.
Don't really know what is going on, maybe some LS?

A couple of days before Christmas, I will return home to search more.

Any help would be great.

Audronic

What sound do you get after Power up by pressing the "DEL" Key several times.
What sound do you get if you shut down the Game that produces White Noise and press the "Del" Key several times ?
Good luck    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

It's more likely that your AY is failing. This happens quite often.
If RAM had failed the games would be crashing, not just white noise problems.

Bryce.

VincentGR

Amstrad is fine, no probs with del key or in game music.
This happens only on 128K games  >:(

Bryce

Quote from: VincentGR on 13:15, 09 December 16
Amstrad is fine, no probs with del key or in game music.
This happens only on 128K games  >:(

There's absolutely zero physical or electrical reason why accessing Bank1 would have an effect on the sound. I would do further testing if possible and also try a different PSU.

Bryce.

VincentGR

I used a PC PSU and two different CPC monitors.
Probably I'll replace the AY although as I mentioned above it plays perfect with no noise or missing channels.

arnoldemu

which games other than relentless cause the noise?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

VincentGR

Can't really remember as it was two months ago but in a few days I will make a list when I go back home.

VincentGR

So, I've changed the AY with a new one plus a socket.
The problem remains  ;D

VincentGR

Bump!

Well today I did check him once again and discovered something else too.
There is a problem with the keyboard when a joystick is connected.
I also tried a different joy with the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WH1gdMHVmk

The funny thing is that Shinobi runs just fine and the music is playing normal.

Bryce

The analogue (sound) and digital (Keyboard/joystick) sections of the AY are completely seperate from each other. One can fail and the other part will still work perfectly normal. But, it could also be the scan generator (IC101 - 74LS145) that's causng the problem.

Bryce.

TotO

If your new AY is a "8912A" version, it will require a network resistor on the GPIO. (see the picture)
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/f/f1/CPC6128_PCB_Top_%28Z70290_MC0020B%29.jpg
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

vasilisk

Quote from: TotO on 15:40, 18 January 19
If your new AY is a "8912A" version, it will require a network resistor on the GPIO. (see the picture)
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/f/f1/CPC6128_PCB_Top_%28Z70290_MC0020B%29.jpg

Upon cleaning my second 6128, I noticed that the AY chip is the only one with some strange modifications. Maybe it has been changed in the past. Is this what you mean by "network resistor"?

TotO

Yes it-is. The picture show a "homemade" 2.2KOhm resistor network, because the AY-3-8912A do not embbed it inside the circuit to pull-up the GPIO to avoid the bus to be random.

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

vasilisk

Quote from: TotO on 21:37, 18 January 19
Yes it-is. The picture show a "homemade" 2.2KOhm resistor network, because the AY-3-8912A do not embbed it inside the circuit to pull-up the GPIO to avoid the bus to be random.

Why it was replaced with 8192A and not with 8192? To avoid all this "trouble"?

TotO

Quote from: vasilisk on 21:53, 18 January 19Why it was replaced with 8192A and not with 8192? To avoid all this "trouble"?
I don't know... Should be only A version in stock, cheapest part... When you put 8 resistors together instead of using a real one (like on the right side on the 3rd picture), I think that is more a handyman solution to fix the CPC.

VincentGR

Will check on Monday, thank you all.

TotO

Quote from: VincentGR on 21:58, 18 January 19
Will check on Monday, thank you all.
Here, a good part for the AY-3-8912A version. (8x 2K2 resistors network with 1 common pin)
https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr/r-seau-de-r-sistances-sil-2-2-ko-2-sil-9-8-2-2k-p18029.html?&trstct=pos_0

I should have it if required... Have fun!  ;)

VincentGR

Solved.

Can't remember the exact post about the incompatibility of the Z80 but yes, this was also the problem here.
I swapped the CPU with another CPC and the problem moved to the other  ;D

This is the suspect:

gerald

Quote from: VincentGR on 14:48, 30 March 19
Solved.

Can't remember the exact post about the incompatibility of the Z80 but yes, this was also the problem here.
I swapped the CPU with another CPC and the problem moved to the other  ;D

This is the suspect:
Auto referencing myself  ;D : http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/cpc-464-noise-after-loading-game/msg170591/#msg170591
and http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/z80-cpu-nmos-or-cmos/

VincentGR

Aaaahhh yes!

It was that thread by catenaccio

Thank you.