News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 Play Broken

Started by geeb, 18:37, 08 January 18

Previous topic - Next topic

geeb

Back to the 464 that was working prior to the holidays and which I had replaced the belt. Came to try out a tape today and the fast forward was working but wouldn't hold down. The play sadly spooled on the left reel but the right is stationary and the tape just winds out into the cassette area. Sometimes I can't get the machine to fast forward with a tape in, but works without the tape in. I can place my finger on the fast forward spool and doesn't stop it going round.

I have put back the old belt to see if that changes anything but no luck. Both the new and old seem a bit slack.

So the play isn't turning both spools and the tape is winding into the tape are. Any ideas what I broke. Like I say was working. Just placed in store for a week.

scuzz

Dagger

I think, cannot be 100% sure but it looks like the 'O' ring has broken and will need replacing.
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

geeb

Quote from: Dagger on 19:19, 08 January 18
I think, cannot be 100% sure but it looks like the 'O' ring has broken and will need replacing.

Well almost spot on except... there is no rubber ring. I fixed the power on this and got the machine working. But actually replaced the drive belt larger belt on another computer by mistake. I have like five or six 464s. And so I was scratching my head as to why this wasn't working on the play. Thing was I knew it wasn't working and that's why I purchased a new belt. Thing was that I picked up another CPC464 when the belt arrived and fitted it to that and then we had the holidays. I came back to this today and couldn't understand why it wasn't working. Until I read your reply and opened the thing up and turned the unit over and to my surprise there is no o ring . No evidence of it ever being there. This probably explains the busted case as I sense the previous owner was a bit heavy handed and hadn't spotted that last screw deep under the unit.

I assume the o ring clamps onto the larger wheel that also has a rubber edge but is missing. Must have snapped and broken. No idea how you would find a replacement. I guess I need to look around. Mystery solved anyway. Time to try and put the computer back together now.

Thanks.

scuzz