News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Crystal oscillator on 464

Started by llopis, 22:22, 29 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

@ llopis

Maybe a Track (Trace) is open to  C130 or it is not there ?

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

I don't see a C130 marking anywhere there. Are you sure it's not a layout error and the bodged capacitor is C130?

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 08:30, 16 November 18
I don't see a C130 marking anywhere there. Are you sure it's not a layout error and the bodged capacitor is C130?

Oh right! As a matter of fact, there isn't even a hole on the PCB where C130 normally goes. And in later boards of the same model, the name C130 isn't printed on the board.

I wonder what happened. Is it an early board before they felt the need for C130, and then they added it manually? The weird thing is that it's still marked as a Z70100, so they didn't change the PCB number when they added the hole and the capacitor.

Bryce

Either they only realised during testing that they needed the capacitor or the layout guy messed up. If the capacitor was there on earlier models then it was the layout guy. Remember there wasn't fancy layout software back then with back-annotation, it was all done by hand and things could easily get forgotten.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Oh, I guess then that's what happened with the 68000 in the Plus series. Damned layout guy!