News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

EME 150A in need of service / alignment

Started by CraigsBar, 15:48, 12 June 19

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi all,

I have an early EME 150A drive that needs stepper motor / track alignment adjustment. Does anyone have the tools/skills that would be required, and be willing to do this for me? And for what price?

Thanks

Craig

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

The EME-150A is extremely difficult to realign and the stepper motor tends to wear itself out to a state where it will no longer align.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 07:13, 13 June 19
The EME-150A is extremely difficult to realign and the stepper motor tends to wear itself out to a state where it will no longer align.

Bryce.
This one is not worn I know what happened to it! It was working fine until I foolishly left it unattended in the vacinity of a 6 year old and a tiny screwdriver a couple of years ago! They alignment screw on the back it seems was too tempting!

Bryce

There's no alignment screw on the back. If you mean the slit in the end of the stepper motor shaft, then turning that (with force) could mis-align it, but possibly broke the grub-screw that used for alignment in the process.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 10:11, 13 June 19
There's no alignment screw on the back. If you mean the slit in the end of the stepper motor shaft, then turning that (with force) could mis-align it, but possibly broke the grub-screw that used for alignment in the process.

Bryce.
Arse! I'll dig it out and take a look again.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:01, 13 June 19
Arse! I'll dig it out and take a look again.

Yay after some fiddling with the slot on the end of the shaft and microscopic adjustments, I have a working eme 150a. Thanks for the heads up @Bryce. Not sure what that screw slot does but it's working again.

Spinning a fraction fast but it works!

Bryce

It shifts the position of the magnet on the shaft inside the motor. The usual "no hope" issue that these drives have is that the magnet starts slipping on the shaft making them hit and miss at best. On the other drives you can easily open the motor and glue it in place, but that's not possible on the 150.

303rpm is perfect, anything between 290 and 310 is good.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 07:30, 14 June 19
It shifts the position of the magnet on the shaft inside the motor. The usual "no hope" issue that these drives have is that the magnet starts slipping on the shaft making them hit and miss at best. On the other drives you can easily open the motor and glue it in place, but that's not possible on the 150.

303rpm is perfect, anything between 290 and 310 is good.

Bryce.
Tested it again this morning, and it's stopped working again. One for the garbage then I guess! [emoji22] Fortunately I have a couple of spare 3 inch units so i'll put an eme-155 in it instead, still have the wide mouth look and LED sensors that I prefer in the fd1

Audronic

Perhaps keep the mother board and the Pressure pad etc.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.