News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Floppy drive EME-155 problem

Started by Bignumbas, 01:02, 30 June 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Bignumbas

I had a problem with this drive not mechanically loading a floppy.
I had to adjust a tongue on the lever that is nudged when you insert the floppy disk.
It was bent to far down and was hooking on the plate beneath locking the mechanism from lowering the disk down into position.
See photos.
Now I have that working when I insert a disk it cannot read disks.
It has a new drive belt
I have adjusted the speed to 300rpm so that part works.
It recognises disk protect enabled.
I tried formatting a disk and it will not verify.
I have included a photo of the head cable plug, is it plugged in correctly?
I tried reversing it and got the same results.
I have checked the board for dry joints and resoldered all the socket pins anyway.
The head was knocked out its plastic socket when the mechanism was not functioning correctly , I super glued it back in hopefully in the correct alignment.
It looks to be at 90 degrees to the body of the drive.
I think that if it does not read another drives floppies it should format and read its own floppies even if its out of alignment but the correct rpm.
All the lights are on but nobody is home.  :(
I have just found that the felt head pressure pad is like a rock, I am going to get some felt to replace it, stay tuned.
The cutting edge of technology is covered in blood!

Bignumbas

I found I had the perfect felt replacement in my workshop.
I had bought some felt pads that are self adhesive to put on the bottom of furniture legs about a year ago.
Just used a hole punch and one preglued ready to go floppy pressure pad produced.
Cassette tapes also use the same principle with a rectangular piece.
If you look at a cassette where the head goes in there is a spring loaded felt pressure pad to push the tape onto the read head.
If a cassette sounds really faint and distant that's probably the problem. The pads can fall off on old tapes.
That would give read errors on an Amstrad 464.
This has fixed my floppy drive problem.  ;D
The cutting edge of technology is covered in blood!

||C|-|E||

This is actually very useful info!  :D

tjohnson

Great advice.  Replacing the felt on my drive fixed all the issues.  I didn't use felt though I used a couple of bits of glasses cleaning cloth glued together.  Once I did that all the read errors went.