Has anybody used HDMI and an LCD monitor on a CPC 6128

Started by Audronic, 01:37, 09 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Audronic

HI All

Has anybody used HDMI and an LCD monitor  on a CPC 6128
I have tried 2 different SCART to HDMI converters, But i get Ghosting ??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Solved

Had to remove the 100MF Electrolytic and replace it with the 1.5Volt Battery Modification.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

mr_lou

Wow, you're actually getting a decent picture then, that stays on the TV?

These SCART->HDMI converters were recently discussed in another thread here.
Generally we don't like them, because they generally don't work.

But yours does?

The one I bought (which looks 99% like the one you have) couldn't keep the image on the screen. Works fine with my Amiga though, but not with my CPC.

I ended up buying a Framemeister, and that solution is definitely awesome, but also rather expensive.

mr_lou

Hmm.....  @Bryce

Does this mean it's probably a bad idea to add the capacitor to the cable I'll be using for the Framemeister? To me it looks like it was the capacitor that caused the problem in this case?

Bryce

It could be several things. If the SCART cable is too long there could be enough voltage drop that the capacitor isn't getting charged enough. It could also be that the SCART-HDMI converter has a (out of spec) low impedance input on the select pin which the capacitor couldn't handle (in which case, the battery won't last very long either).

As the capacitor needs no maintenance, I'd try it first and only resort to a battery if really needed.

Bryce.

Audronic

Battery Eliminator for Scart to HDMI

Taking Note of @Bryce's Point about the Battery going flat.
I had a look inside the SCART-HDMI Converter and discovered that the DC load is 75 Ohms.
So added a resistor of between 270 - 330 Ohms 1/2 Watt from +5 Volts to pin 16.
Voila it worked NO MORE Batteries (Batteries not included).
Thanks Bryce

PS This could be done to the Other Scart - HDMi converter as well.

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Bryce

Very satisfactory result. Much nicer not to need a battery :) Glad I could help.

To others who want to do this mod: Any resistor between 100R and 330R should be fine, but aim for 330R to reduce the current consumption. Regarding battery usage, a CR2032 battery would have only lasted 5.5 hours! A Duracell AA would last around 125 hours.

Bryce.

dodogildo

Quote from: Bryce on 21:37, 10 February 16
Very satisfactory result. Much nicer not to need a battery :) Glad I could help.

Bryce, what's your comparison of this particular solution and your own adapter (which I'm using very happily for a couple of months) in terms of picture quality?
M'enfin!

Bryce

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:01, 10 February 16

Bryce, what's your comparison of this particular solution and your own adapter (which I'm using very happily for a couple of months) in terms of picture quality?

The results will be very similar. They both achieve the same, they just use different methods to get there. Any differences will mainly depend on how the TV interprets and scales the HDMI / S-Video signals and neither my adapter nor the converter above has any influence on this. The only advantage of the converter above is that it can do the up-scaling instead if your TV doesn't do it satisfactorily, however, I would expect most decent TVs to have a better up-scaler than a cheap Chinese converter.

Bryce.

dragon

I buy one of these to try it (waiting arrive).

I view these review:

Deinterlacing, Scaling, Processing: Classic videogame systems on LCD and Plasma

I buy the hdv 85 only 23e. Just about curiosity  what chips use these aparstous?.

In the other hand i read they are developing an alternative to the famous frameseiter .RetroRGB - upscalercompare

At least maybe these cheap with lucky  can eliminate the diagonal lines in rgb in the snes using scart.