News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Internal BASIC and OS mod for a 6128+ ?

Started by Macross_VF1, 10:18, 24 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Macross_VF1

I've detailed it in another thread but my start cartridge (Burnin' rubber + Locomotive basic) is dead and all it hopefully needs is a new EPROM with the necessary data contained within. I don't have an EPROM burner so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could do it for me and I'm obviously prepared to pay for the associated cost.

However I started thinking (dangerous I know :D ) is there anyway of modding the machine in such a way that the OS is mounted internally, as was the case with most other computers of the time, and indeed most of the other Amstrad's?

robcfg

Hej!

I´m living in Stockholm and can burn eproms, so the cost will be minimal.

Are you sure it's the eprom that is wrong? Do you have another cartridge you can try?

Bryce

Quote from: Macross_VF1 on 10:18, 24 August 19
I've detailed it in another thread but my start cartridge (Burnin' rubber + Locomotive basic) is dead and all it hopefully needs is a new EPROM with the necessary data contained within. I don't have an EPROM burner so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could do it for me and I'm obviously prepared to pay for the associated cost.

However I started thinking (dangerous I know :D ) is there anyway of modding the machine in such a way that the OS is mounted internally, as was the case with most other computers of the time, and indeed most of the other Amstrad's?

Yes, it could be mounted internally, but that wouldn't be a good idea, as you could no longer use any other cartidges on the machine.

Bryce.

Macross_VF1

Quote from: robcfg on 12:08, 24 August 19
Hej!

I´m living in Stockholm and can burn eproms, so the cost will be minimal.

Are you sure it's the eprom that is wrong? Do you have another cartridge you can try?

Tjena!

Unfortunately I can't be certain if it's the EPROM. I managed to supply too much voltage to the computer and the damage was one RAM chip and the aforementioned cartridge. I have one cartridge from a GX4000 that works just fine but the starter cartridge does not work in the GX4000 nor my 6128+. Apparently, there's two chips inside a cartridge and both could be dead. I'm hoping it's only the EPROM.

Quote from: Bryce on 12:56, 24 August 19
Yes, it could be mounted internally, but that wouldn't be a good idea, as you could no longer use any other cartidges on the machine.

Bryce.

A bit of a bummer but not entirely unexpected. Thanks for answer!

robcfg

Hmmm, if it's the eprom, then it's a matter of burning a new eprom and solder it in place.

If it's the other chip, called ACID, which is a copy protection device, then you can only find another to replace the damaged one.

At this point, maybe it would be better to get a C4CPC cartridge so you can add all the software needed to a SD card.

In any case, if I can help you, just send me a pm.