Keyboard keys not working - how to clean the membrane?

Started by Salvo B, 19:32, 23 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Salvo B

Hi everybody,

I've just restored a CPC that was poorly stored in a couple of plastic bags not sealed in a garage.

I've started to testing and It seems to boot fine, but many keys doesn't works.

I've read that the problem could be solved cleaning the membrane.

Could anyone give me some hints on how to properly clean it without damaging it? could I use some electronic circuit cleaning spray or isopropylic alcohol?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk

||C|-|E||

Hello, you can start connecting and disconnecting it. If this does not work, a cleaning could be in order. Here we were discussing a similar problem not so long ago:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/technical-support/cpc-6128-plus-membrane/

:)

Salvo B

I'll try that in the weekend, but what about the cleaning? What are the good practices? What about using any products?

Bryce

Warm water and soap, nothing more is needed.

Bryce.

Skunkfish

Quote from: Bryce on 11:41, 24 March 17

Bryce.

Initially read that as soup. Was confused, re-read, now not confused. It's been a long week...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Salvo B

Thanks everyone for the hints, unfortunally this weekend i haven't time to doing further testing but i've just tried to disconnect the keyboard, clean the socket connector and now just one or two keys aren't working so i guess that isn't so bad at all! :)

In the next days i'll manage to do a full clean of the mainboard and the other parts... the next step, since my floppy drive was totally cannibalized during a past period of crazy hardware hacking (more destroying than actual hacking :D), will be to find a good SD based solution.. I guess tha HXC seems to be the right way for me, I'll manage to buy one... Maybe some further searching at the forum posts will help me to find a good place to start.

Salvo B

Aaaand here we are...

Finally today after a good cleaning of the whole machine looks that I was able to make it works, thanks again everyone for the help.

The mainboard was really dirty and the keyboard was full of dust... the only bad news of the day is that i've lost one of the springs from the keyboard  :picard: but whatever... Now I've other things to think about... i.e. finding a way to load programs.

ikari

I know this topic is old, but dirty and not fully functional 6128 keyboard (though as separate problems, most likely) are also my problem right now.

Quote from: Bryce on 11:41, 24 March 17
What if I added washing machine to the mix? I know some people did that to some keycaps (I don't have a dishwasher). My keys are pretty yellow-ish, but there's a chance it might also be from dad's cigarette smoke, as some nice reditter pointed out to me. And frankly, a solid washing sounds safer than making my own retrobright, which I am ready for too.
Would the tiny springs inside the keys survive any bigger washing well?

PS. Hi, after years of just knowing this forum exists, this is my first post here :)

A proud owner of a couple of 6128, one since childhood, 464s, 664, the Pluses, some accessories, a Spectrum +3 and a ... C64 Maxi.

Bryce

You can wash the plastic key caps in the washing machine (put them in one of those washing machine bags, otherwise they could end up lost in the workings), but definitely don't put the springs or any of the larger keyboard parts in the machine! It would destroy them.

Bryce.