Oh No!!! Rolling vertical picture on Wonder Boy?

Started by blackdalek, 13:25, 16 June 18

Previous topic - Next topic

blackdalek

Help! I just turned my CPC on and loaded up Wonder Boy.
As soon as the main game screen loads, I get a rolling screen like the vertical hold is gone.
So far this only happens with Wonder Boy that I have discovered.This issue has never occurred for me with this game before today.

I'm trying to attach a video below...

I tried this using a dsk image downloaded from CPCPower and also my own original disk, both gave the same result. And I know both the dsk image and my own copy worked perfectly last time I used them. :(

So that rules out being a software problem. Which part of my hardware has gone bad?
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.

ASiC

You probably have already done that but, have you tried the vertical hold pot in the back of the monitor to see if you can stabilise the image?

I remember wonderboy being a little bit weird as I could hear the monitor's electronics whining while playing it (Sigma 7 and Turrican 1 opening screen as well).

DanyPPC

Try to use a standard RGB TV Monitor like a Commodore 1084S or Philips 8833 mk2, obviously you need cables and power adaptor.
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

blackdalek

I had completely forgotten there was a V-Hold pot on the back of the monitor.
A simple twist fixed the issue. Hurrah!
I was scared my CRTC had gone bad for a while there. Thanks.
CPC6128 modded with ABBA switch. External 5.25" floppy drive with side switch and Multiface 2. Now also sporting a joystick splitter and M4 WiFi board.